Author Topic: Grimaldi's Pizzeria - Under the Bridge...  (Read 3294 times)

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Grimaldi's Pizzeria - Under the Bridge...
« on: March 23, 2008, 10:25:32 AM »
Sometimes it takes many paragraphs of writing for me to give a balanced perspective of a pizzeria. I realize that not everyone shares my pizza tastes so I try to be objective as possible. Other times I can get right to the point. And when I do it generally is not favorable.

Last week I traveled to NYC and had just enough of the bumper to bumper traffic around the financial district area to want to throw in the towel and sit it out for a while. The Holland tunnel at rush hour is a nightmare. My two other team members wanted to munch on some pie as bad as I did. The closest place I could think of was Grimaldiís under the Brooklyn Bridge.

My coworkers were from two unheralded pizza spots, Atlanta and Ann Arbor. So I thought Grimaldi's would give them a view into an old fashioned pizza parlor. One that I might take for granted but would be a new experience for them.

I wish I made another choice.

Two out of our party of three got severe upset stomachs within minutes from either the Margherita or the sausage pie. Unfortunately I was one of the two. I say it could have been either pie but it also could have been both pies as they had an overly sweet sauce which bordered on the ridiculous. It was like licking a lollypop glued to bromated crust.

You might be wondering why we ordered two pies if the first one was so bad. Well, I couldn't believe how bad the first one was and wanted to give them the benefit of doubt. Since I remembered how delicious the fennel sausage pie was from a previous visit, I decided to go for their best. We each had one slice of the sausage pie and left the rest.

Life is too short to eat bad pie.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:32:10 AM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything Youíd Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Art

• la pizza Ť la mia vita!!
Re: Grimaldi's Pizzeria - Under the Bridge...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:54:05 AM »
The Holland Tunnel at rush hour would be, on its own, enough to give me an upset stomach.  art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline David

• Whatís So Funny ĎBout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 11:23:41 AM »
I'm guessing you were flying out of EWR PFT?Next time you are in the area and actually make it through the tunnel with time to spare,hang a left and try this place:

http://www.yellowbot.com/johns-pizza-jersey-city-nj.html

It's supposedly the latest outpost of Johns  of Bleeker St fame.I have yet to venture there,but if it is any good it should do very well as it has no real competition that I know of between Jersey City and Newark.For a slice there is also a place named Rustiqe (sp?) than gets a lot of praise in that local neighborhood .
Regards,
David

P.S. It just came to mind....hang a right and you could also hit Hoboken,equidistant and with some of the famous latticini in this old Italian stronghold.Grimaldis in Hoboken did nothing for me,but it's there if you want it?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 11:37:01 AM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 12:17:22 PM »
pft,

With the great success you have been having with your new oven and the Raquel dough formulation, have you found it more difficult to be objective when appraising the pizzas of others? And is there anyone's pizza that you would rank above your own and, if so, in what respects?

Peter

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:20:11 PM »
Thanks for the knowledge David. I was in Jersey City and could have used your recommendation.

Pete-zza,
Your primary question is one I have pondered quite a bit lately. I would have to say Pizzeria Bianco approaches Pizza Raquel in terms of overall satisfaction but itís an unfair comparison. Really. Itís like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruits yet they can never be the same no matter how high the quality. But when one bites into a killer apple or orange they are equally satisfying Ė just in different ways and for different reasons. Raquel is optimized for residential indulgence and Bianco is by definition handicapped by its commercial limitations. Bianco has no commercial competitors primarily due to his extraordinary use of ultra high quality toppings and unique combinations. Other elite pizzerias just donít seem to even try in the ways Chris has mastered. Or maybe itís that they donít make the type of pizza I crave. I think he and I make a very similar style of artisanal pizza which cannot easily be lumped into a discrete style.

The common element which elevates Bianco and Raquel is that the toppings, spices, and crust seem to express themselves in ways other pizzas simply do not Ė in my limited experience. Iíve had killer pizzas at other pizzerias but all seem to be fairly subdued flavor wise in one or more areas. Common examples are where one encounters flavorless crust, or itís just too chewy. Then there is the ever persistent overabundance of sauce, lollypop like sweetness, or it tastes like it was made for a marinara. Finally lifeless cheese, overly rubbery, just plain tastes bad, or it is used in inappropriate ways is all too common.

Bianco was the first pizzeria experience where it all came together in a homogeneous blend of pure elation. Thatís not to say, upon ample reflection, that every single aspect of his pizza was exactly what I would define as stupendous. I donít care for 12Ē pizzas nor do I care for crispy/crunchy crusts (his longer bake times are no doubt to blame). But he manages to do more right than any other establishment I have personally been to.

The Bianco dining experience was also notable because I didnít have to prepare half the day. It was the epitome of pizza in a commercial setting while Raquel strives for the exact same level of perfection in a home setting. It is not often one meets someone as passionate about pizza as Chris. Commercially speaking, I doubt there is better pizza anywhere.

So with all that said, Raquel is ready to take on all comers. Tampa is but a two hour plane rideÖ

Regarding whether it is harder to be objective, I would have to comment that it is actually easier to be objective. Now I can finally compare my wood-fired Raquel to theirs - when the occasion arises. Mostly though, I review their pizza against the standard they set for themselves. Pizzerias, in my experience, would have a hard time meeting the quality standard most serious home pizza makers on this board strive for.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 04:40:09 PM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 12:14:45 PM »
I lived in Brooklyn when Grimaldi's (Patsy's) first opened and it was wonderful. We used to see Chuck Schumer among other famous and infamous people there regularly. It makes me quite sad that it has gone so far down hill. Sweet sauce! Shocking!
I remember it slipping a bit years back when it was sold but it was still very good.
I have not been back for close to 5 years.
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 02:57:22 PM »
I was there last year around New Years, and the lines were still out the door...pies were quite "coal-esque", and they're not up to what they used to be...too bad.  Thank God there's still tons of other great places in the City!
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline PizaJim

• I Love Pizza!
    • Rosemark Homes
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 05:44:22 PM »
There's one in Scottsdale AZ that one of the kids went out and opened, ITS KILLER!! I ate so much it was rediculous, I just couldn't stop. :-D
2Stone Novice

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 05:53:24 PM »
Were UNA Pizza and/or Luzzo's considerations?
Patrick

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 08:19:06 PM »
Hi pcampbell,
We intentionally drove past both of those establishments for very specific reasons. I have written extensively about both of the pizzerias you mentioned.  Kindly do a search of my posts and if you still have questions I'll be happy to answer them.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 11:02:49 AM »
I'm guessing you were flying out of EWR PFT?Next time you are in the area and actually make it through the tunnel with time to spare,hang a left and try this place:

http://www.yellowbot.com/johns-pizza-jersey-city-nj.html

It's supposedly the latest outpost of Johns  of Bleeker St fame.I have yet to venture there,but if it is any good it should do very well as it has no real competition that I know of between Jersey City and Newark.For a slice there is also a place named Rustiqe (sp?) than gets a lot of praise in that local neighborhood .
Regards,
David

P.S. It just came to mind....hang a right and you could also hit Hoboken,equidistant and with some of the famous latticini in this old Italian stronghold.Grimaldis in Hoboken did nothing for me,but it's there if you want it?

There used to be this place in Newark that had to be mafia run.  It was a combination of an autoshop (looked like a chop shop) and pizzeria.  It was hilarious.  The guy would be working on an engine and you'd walk in and ask for a pie.  He'd stop what he was doing and go to the other side of the building, wash his hands and make you a pie.  The pizza was delicious.  Then he would go back to taking apart the likely stolen car.

Offline David

• Whatís So Funny ĎBout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 11:19:57 AM »
Can you remember where exactly?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 02:02:08 PM »
Can you remember where exactly?

My friend took me there.  It was somewhere around the Newark Bloomfield border.  I think it was called Calandras or something like that.

pizzapan