Author Topic: pizza sauce and carrots  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
pizza sauce and carrots
« on: November 03, 2004, 05:51:58 PM »
Some one on this forum mentioned putting a carrot in the red sauce not sugar.  On another list, Baking Circle, they posted the same tip.  They said use whole and take it out, or crush it.  Another said grate the carrot then cook it down with the sauce to thicken.

Interesting.

Randy

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re:pizza sauce and carrots
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 07:26:01 PM »
That is an interesting point.  I know that a lot of marinara sauces call for carrots, usually shredded, but I never thought to make a connection between the carrots and sweetness.  I also know that carrot juice is very sweet, having made it many times with a juicer.  That led me to wonder whether carrot juice has ever been recommended for tomato-based sauces.  From a Google search, I found that it has, typically as a substitute for some of the water used in the sauce.  I also found a recipe for California pizza using carrot juice in the dough and carrots (shredded) in the tomato sauce.  The juice is used in lieu of the water in the dough (a little bit of it is warmed and used to proof the yeast).  

Peter
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 07:36:30 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 07:42:15 PM »
Peter both sources said it came from the old recipes.

It was you then that posted the carrot tip on this forum?  I couldn't rememmber  Nice tip and worth a try.

Randy

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 07:51:17 PM »
Randy,

I believe it was RedGreene that mentioned using carrot peels in the Stanislaus Full Red sauce to try to overcome the citric acid in the sauce (see his post at http://www.pizzamaking.com/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=636;start=msg5812#msg5812).

The next time I make a San Marzano pizza sauce, I plan to make some fresh carrot juice and use it to sweeten the sauce, instead of adding sugar as I usually do.  I would also like to try a crust using the carrot juice.  That ought to be a real blast, just to see the orange color in the crust ;D.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 07:58:11 PM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan