Author Topic: So has anyone thought about "crossing the line"  (Read 3635 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
So has anyone thought about "crossing the line"
« on: March 27, 2008, 05:49:29 PM »
and opening a pizzeria?   :chef: ???
Patrick

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: So has anyone thought about "crossing the line"
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:00:52 PM »
Pat,  My wife and i have been SLOWLY working on this for over a year.  We haven't gotten very far.  We have gotten plenty of great pizza.  Quite frankly food costs plus the economy are starting to scare the crap out of me.  We are at the point of having the product figured out,  have the exposure to plenty of friends and family that believe in the product,  have a great friend who has been the executive chef at a few great local full service resteraunts a partial business plan,  and a couple solid investors.  We are just intimidated by the market right now.  I wish for it everyday.  I know it is what I am supposed to be doing......  Anyone really good with business plans out there?  -marc

Offline shango

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »
A good business plan can basically be boiled down to one very important thing;  the break even #.  I suggest you figure out what that is and work backwards.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »
I have been over at pmq.com/tt and have got a spreadsheet worked up but I am still crunching numbers.  I have a break even number that doesn't seem like it would be so difficult to attain. Rent is very expensive here but I am very particular about where I want to be and I think it's worth it :chef:

Of course very important thing is the pizza and the oven.  I don't know if I would want to do wood, coal or gas.  I want hot.  I think at least 700F and I know the decks max out typically around 650.   Gas is easy, but maybe not what I am looking for.  Wood and coal are cheaper fuel wise but more labor intensive.

We have a "Pizza Fusion" coming to town very soon which is a chain that serves organic pizza with a gluten free option.  This is something I wanted to incorporate also.  I don't think organic is an viable option but gluten free should not be a problem.  My wife is a teacher for autistic children and I don't know if there is any truth to it but people have some sort of idea that going on a gluten free diet helps to reverse the process, something that Jenny McCarthy has spoken about a lot.

So it is something I've thought about but not sure where it will take me.
Patrick

Offline thehorse

• Lifetime Member
  • Less is more
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 09:45:16 PM »
Shango hit it on the nose. Figure out a weekly or monthly "nut". The problem is, without experience, its hard to get it right before you open. I would add 20% to that number, and be prepared for a  3 to 5 year period before you turn a profit. Hopefully, this won't be the case, but you should be prepared for this scenario. If this doesn't scare you, go for it!

Mike