Author Topic: Donations and Pay Pal  (Read 7866 times)

Offline frankiedahamma

Donations and Pay Pal
« on: March 28, 2008, 06:46:45 PM »
Is there any other way to donate to the forum other than using Pay Pal?  I HATE pay pal.  They are making it so insanely inconvenient for me to register into their site and I have had so many problems with them over the years.  I am actually so outraged I'm considering spearheading a notpaypal.com site as competition to bring down their company as my only goal.  Anyway, that's my rant and I would like to donate, but I'm having some trouble.  >:(

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Donations and Pay Pal
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 06:51:46 PM »
I will refer your post to Steve, the Administrator.

Thanks for raising the question.

Peter
(Moderator)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:32:56 PM »
I feel like I just lost a week of my life to paypal.  On the phone with them 15 times and at least 20 minutes of being on hold each time.  In the end it was all because of an error on their part.  No apologies from them even though it cost me bad feedback on ebay because they froze my account for no reason.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:56:06 PM »
Wow!
I'm surprised to hear of these problems.  I have not sold anything on eBay for a while, but used to regularly (cath50) to make a little extra coin.  My preferred method of payment was PayPal, and never had a single problem with them.... I was planning to go back to selling this summer/fall... and I'm hoping that these two complaints are anomalies...

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 08:56:56 PM »
paypal rox0rs
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 09:10:20 PM »
aba,
I admit to being an "oldster" who doesn't understand textspeak... could you please clarify?  Is your comment positive or negative???   ???   ;)

~sd

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 12:33:47 AM »
I'm hoping that these two complaints are anomalies...

At least from a developer's point of view, the problems with PayPal are not anomalies.  The issues have been the rule rather than the exception for the past two months as PayPal has tried to roll out new features.  Their Sandbox environment in particular has been a nightmare.  http://www.paypaldeveloper.com/pdn/board?board.id=sandbox

I admit to being an "oldster" who doesn't understand textspeak... could you please clarify?  Is your comment positive or negative???   ???   ;)

All you have to do is search for it.  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rox0r

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 01:47:42 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, red.november.  Sorry to hear that PayPal has been having issues recently.

"0r is a subsitutiton for or, which is a phonetic substitution for er, and x is a substituion for (c) or (k) (yes, that is rather stupid)".....??   (note mispellings of "substitution", emphasis is mine).  A fine dictionary, eh?

Would be nice if we could all speak English here instead of unintelligible "stuff".   If you are able to make yourself understood to only one portion of the population, you're not really communicating, are you?  Pity.  Or should I say $h!++y.  "ALL" I have to do is "search" to figure out what he was TRYING to say??  SAY something that all can understand or don't bother.   :-X

~sd

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 02:04:28 AM »
A fine dictionary, eh?

You might have noticed that it's a user defined dictionary (take note of the voting), which if you think about it, you would realize it's probably the only way a dictionary can keep up with all of the invented slang in our culture.

Would be nice if we could all speak English here instead of unintelligible "stuff".

Although the term is rather ubiquitous, I agree slang parlance should be used more judiciously.  Of course your assertion would also have to apply to colloquial language and niche terminology as well.  I defy you to find "poolish" in Merriam Webster's dictionary.

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 02:29:18 AM »
I defy you to find "poolish" in Merriam Webster's dictionary.

Point taken.  However, this IS a "bread" (ie pizza) baking community, so "poolish" is an understood term.  rioslcoxcldxx (or whatever it was) is not. 

"the term is rather ubiquitous"

The term is "rather" ubiquitous and even my children haven't heard of it.  Guess I must be older than I thought.  Sukkxx to be me.   ;)   :-D

~sd

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 02:43:07 AM »
sd,

People still ask what a term like "poolish" means on this forum, even though this is a "baking community."  I actually used the term "poolish" because the popularity compares similarly (tens of thousands) to "rox0r" according to Google search results: poolish = 52800, rox0r = 21900.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that while this is a "baking community" thus making the term "poolish" more relevant, the term "rox0r" is Internet-born thus making its use on an Internet forum more relevant.  I will still agree that its need for existence is pretty much zero.  I am a believer in slang-free communication wherever possible.  If there is a need for a new term to describe a new concept, let it be so.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 02:55:35 AM by November »

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 01:42:39 PM »
red.november,
The numbers you posted for the Google searches show that almost two and a half times as many people searched "poolish" than "roxOr" (2.4109x), most likely because they wanted to learn about bread (or pizza) baking. 

Kids like to make up their own words so that the adults in their lives can't understand what they are saying.  I would condone its use on MySpace or FaceBook or the like, but what's the point of using a word on an adult public baking forum knowing that few will understand it?  If you are trying to communicate in a particular arena, don't use a word that doesn't.  By these comments (and rhetorical question), I second your slang-free communication.  Thank you.

~sd

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 03:14:55 PM »
The numbers you posted for the Google searches show that almost two and a half times as many people searched "poolish" than "roxOr" (2.4109x)

That's one way of looking at it.  More statistically sound ways are to compare the two within the context of the total system under observation, or within the context of the specific topic.  "Yeast" for instance, carries a weight of over 25 million results.  That puts "poolish" at 0.21% of the results for yeast, and "rox0r" at 0.09%.  Those are both insignificant compared to a master term such as "yeast" in the system of baking.  If you don't think that's enough context, let's be even more specific with regard to this thread (topic).  When I search for "PayPal poolish" (without quotes) Google returns 354 results.  When I search for "PayPal rox0r" (without quotes) Google returns 435 results.  Not only is the gap even smaller, but now the "rox0r" term possesses more relevance when paired with the "PayPal" term.  This means more people using the term "rox0r" are talking about "PayPal" than people who are using the term "poolish."  So statistically speaking, I would expect to see the term "rox0r" about 1.23 times more often in a discussion about PayPal than the term "poolish."  That's using proper statistical context.  As soon as Google indexes this thread, all bets are off.

Offline shango

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 03:33:08 PM »
meh.
I just wish Paypal would stop sending me emails about the "ebay banner error".

pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 03:48:26 PM »
I too would like another way to contribute. I don't care to join, subscribe, give info to, etc.. Paypal. Give me a PO box or address and the check/money order will be in the mail. Takes a little time, just like making dough, but it works.

Offline BTB

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 04:24:19 PM »
Ditto regarding Pay Pal.  I will NEVER use it, but am willing to help out if there were other more reasonable or sensible ways.

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 05:44:12 PM »
That's one way of looking at it.  More statistically sound ways are to compare the two within the context of the total system under observation, or within the context of the specific topic.  "Yeast" for instance, carries a weight of over 25 million results.  That puts "poolish" at 0.21% of the results for yeast, and "rox0r" at 0.09%.  Those are both insignificant compared to a master term such as "yeast" in the system of baking.  If you don't think that's enough context, let's be even more specific with regard to this thread (topic).  When I search for "PayPal poolish" (without quotes) Google returns 354 results.  When I search for "PayPal rox0r" (without quotes) Google returns 435 results.  Not only is the gap even smaller, but now the "rox0r" term possesses more relevance when paired with the "PayPal" term.  This means more people using the term "rox0r" are talking about "PayPal" than people who are using the term "poolish."  So statistically speaking, I would expect to see the term "rox0r" about 1.23 times more often in a discussion about PayPal than the term "poolish."  That's using proper statistical context.  As soon as Google indexes this thread, all bets are off.

Thanks for doing the math.  I knew I could count on you to keep it on the straight and narrow!
Truthfully, I thought the reaction would be to the word "few". 
BTW, I have no doubt that aba is smirking.  I now recognize his MO.  Knowledge is power.

~sd

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 06:12:18 PM »
Well actually, I did more math than I posted.  I figured I would really be putting people to sleep if I were to talk about standard deviation.  Which, by the way, a sample set (or population if you prefer) containing results for ["yeast", "preferment", "rox0r"] has only a 0.0491445372% increase in standard deviation from the sample set containing results for ["yeast", "preferment", "poolish"].

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 09:27:36 PM »
BTW, I have no doubt that aba is smirking.  I now recognize his MO.  Knowledge is power.

haha actually I was laughing my ass off reading the replies -- good stuff.  LOL <-- i think that one is common enough to be understood.   :D

Yeah, PayPal has been having some issues rolling out new features.. a lot of them are useless and buggy... a lot of their better features aren't that popular.  But they (and their parent company eBay) still rox0r.  ;-) 

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 09:44:38 PM »
I KNEW I would get a response from you, aba! ---> ROFLMFAO!!
Yeah, even *I* recognize LOL...     thanks for a smile on a dreary Seattle day.... 

I have always liked PayPal... obviously used them to pay for my membership here, and hope they get the bugs worked out before I start selling again.  I always liked the fact that they put the money from eBay sales into my pocket RIGHT NOW.  The fee is just part of the CDB, which I am happy to pay, considering the quick return.

~sd
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 02:03:41 PM by sourdough girl »

pizzapan