Author Topic: Molino-Borgo 00 flour in San Diego, CA  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Tonio

Molino-Borgo 00 flour in San Diego, CA
« on: April 11, 2008, 11:51:38 PM »
I found this thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=4267.0;num_replies=1
and their main sire here http://www.molino-borgo.com/

I have not found any reference to to a bag I bought @ Mona Lisa Deli, San Diego, CA.
Unfortunately I cannot read Italian :chef:

Anyone familiar with this product?

The deli had alot of goodies that I can share info, but I have to go turn on the oven to try out the pizza dough I bought along with some Cento (another thread pending) Parmsano de Regiano, and smoked moz!!

T
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 11:58:00 PM by Tonio »

Offline Tonio

Re: Molino-Borgo 00 flour in San Diego, CA
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:56:42 PM »
see

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 12:31:56 AM »
The recipe on the bag for pasta implies this flour has not been milled specially for pizza. My experience using pasta flour for pizzas has not been positive.

Offline Tonio

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 04:29:22 PM »
Thanks for the info Bill.  I had a feeling it was more suited for pasta.
I suppose KASL or KABF is iminent.

T

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »
Actually, I have used this flour for pizza and it turned out really great.  A friend brought me some back from a visit to Florida because she knew I was into OO flours.  It actually does say that it is meant for pizza on the bag, and to me it seemed very similar to the caputo extra blue.  I am not sure it would be great for a normal oven,  but if you can get high temps there is no reason not to use it!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 06:24:42 PM »
Actually, I have used this flour for pizza and it turned out really great.  A friend brought me some back from a visit to Florida because she knew I was into OO flours.  It actually does say that it is meant for pizza on the bag, and to me it seemed very similar to the caputo extra blue.  I am not sure it would be great for a normal oven,  but if you can get high temps there is no reason not to use it!

Thanks, Scott. My bad.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 07:08:15 PM »
Not really bill.  If it were up to me I would stick with the caputo pizzeria, since I feel like the extra blue (or the molino-borgo) is a step down.  Still good advice my friend!

Offline Tonio

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »
Hi Scott, unfortunately, my oven (gas if that matters)only goes to 550F.
I have read that 00 flour (Caputo in general) is best used in high temp ovens. Could you describe and/or or point me in the direction why low temp ovens are not good ?
I will try searching also.

T

EDIT: I found a few threads in regards tot 00 type flour in a 500~550 oven , with a few remedies. I will attempt a few pases since I bought the flour.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 09:00:14 PM by Tonio »

Offline Tonio

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 08:51:56 PM »
Forgot to ask, is the protein factor 15.5% based on the pics? Not sure what the peso umballo 9g +- 10% would be? I couldn't get google to translate.

T

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 12:22:13 PM »
Tonio, low temperature ovens are wonderful for cooking many types of pizza.  The problem you run into with many italian 00 flours is that they are not malted. That in combination with a lower protein content can make it much harder for the resulting crust to brown in the oven at 550 degrees or less.  What usually happens is that you end up pulling the pizza when it looks right, but it is really overcooked.  This makes for a "hockey puck" style pizza.  I doubt the protein factor is 15.5, it seemed lower.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
Not sure but the 15.5 figure is probably the moisture content? -marc

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 12:33:50 PM »
Tonio,

I have not seen the specs for the flour in question, but, as Marc noted, the 15.5% figure you quoted may be the humidity (umidita) or moisture content of the flour. If it is a protein spec, then I suppose that it is possible that it is the wet protein number, not the dry protein number that we use in the U.S. that is lower numerically. The domestic grains in Italy are softer grains than most of our grains and have a lower protein content, however it is common for the Italians to blend a stronger flour like Manitoba with their domestic flours (other grains in the blend can come from other countries).  But, to the best of my knowledge, even the Manitoba flour does not have a (dry) protein content of 15.5%.

Peter

Offline Tonio

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »
Scott , thank you for the additional info. No want pucks, no want pucks :-D will keep that in mind.

Pete, mositure content would make sense. Thank you.

additonal piccy

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 07:24:01 PM »
If you include a sweetener and olive oil in your recipe it should help.  Also, just pull the pie a little before it looks done.

Offline Tonio

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 04:46:18 PM »
Here's the 1st batch trial. 3rd day frig ferment.
I pulled it out of a 550 oven on a stone- EDIT 6 minutes. Couldnt resize to where you can see more of the crust, but didn't want to chop it in half. I'm not liking the flash on this digi camcorder ad had to use a no flash pic-notice the flour pics are in orange tint?
T
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 05:00:51 PM by Tonio »

Offline Tonio

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 04:58:01 PM »
This flour has been the easiest dough mangement ever!! I screwed up by forgeting to add oil. But I recovered in time before finishing the knead (by hand-no mixer here).
I used a 2 hours rise after initial mix and hand knead, and only had about 50% rise. Did a another 1 minute knead and shaped to 2 balls and went in the frig.
On the 3rd day I pulled it out 2 hours prior to baking.  I must say the shaping of the skin was soooo great, I just finger molded a few times around and used the dough over cupped hands and it basically stretched by it own weight. It took my only five minutes tops to form the skin !!  Amazing.

The crust was somewhat crispy, with an chewy undrertone.  The flavor was outstanding. topped with cento crushed and fresh moz-and I cheated and added some turkey pep. I added basil after the pull.

I am hooked. I think I may have to get some Caputo 00, if its that much better. But I have possibly enough for 2 more pies to perfet the yeast/hydration factors. I may shoot for a smaller skin next time, since it was rather extensive on this batch and ended in a 14".

All in all I am happy it didn't turn into a hockey puck  ;D  Di d I say the flavor was awesome?

T

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 05:02:53 PM by Tonio »

Offline adcouple

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »
If you got good results with this flour, your results with Caputo will be outstanding. Since you asked about difference between this and Caputo, I'll tell you my experience. Pizza dough with Caputo is much better. I, too, bought this, made pizza dough with it, wasn't knocked out and had some left. I use it on counter when start stretching out pizza for cooking. From what I can tell, there are way too many Caputo flours you can get here in the states now. Caputo Pizza flour (blue) comes in 55lb sacks only. Even Forno Bravo uses other Caputo Blue flour in smaller packages. I haven't found anyone who packs it down into smaller bags. I personally use Caputo Rosso which is between Capauto pizza and Caputo farina. I think it gives the pizza more soul.

I have ordinary oven and cook pizza at 550 on a stone that's been heated in oven 1 hour after reaching 550, or about 1:20 total time. I don't let pizza get black but it's definitely got brown spots on crust and is done perfectly. Give it a try. You'll never go back. Happy Pizza.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 02:32:29 PM »
adcouple,

PennMac repackages the Caputo Pizzeria flour into 5-lb. bags: http://www.pennmac.com/page/27.

Peter

pizzapan