Author Topic: Dumpster Diving-Sauce Secrets  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
Dumpster Diving-Sauce Secrets
« on: February 25, 2009, 11:04:08 AM »
I acquired a can from a local pizza place called Sahara Pizza from a friend of a friend of a cousin twice removed.   ;D  I really like their sauce and was quite surprised at the ingredients on the can, not to mention, I was COMPLETELY shocked that they have their "own" labeled sauce since they only have about 20 places.  Could it be a relabeled product like Bonta or?  The ingredients are:  Vine ripened tomatoes(on the front it says packaged from fresh California tomatoes), salt and basil.  That's it!  I knew it was a pretty simple sauce but never would of thought this simple.  I also don't think they add anything at the restaurant level.  It has a slight sweet taste and is very good.  I've been experimenting with different bases for quite some time still to no avail.  Stanislaus sent me a case of assorted products not to mention other Stanislaus products I've picked up at the local Cash and Carry.  I picked up some All Kitchens California Pizza Sauce and some Angela Mia's Extra Heavy Pizza Sauce(Tomatoe paste pretty much) bases this weekend and opened them up this morning.  They both sort of have a bitter type smell to them, just like the Stanislaus products.  I assume this is the Citric Acid in them?  I did order some 6-1's a few weeks ago and found them too chunky.  I like a smooth sauce.  It never occurred to me to strain them and I gave the other 2 cans away!!  I'm thinking I need to try the Escalon products again.  Has anyone tried the Bonta Pizza Sauce?  The ingredients actually are identical to Sahara Pizza I think. 

I've always had the mind set that it's all about the spices in the sauce but the more I experiment, I think it's all about the base. 
I also acquired a few cans from another local pizza place called Nates NY Style Pizza.  There were 2 cans here.  Stanislaus Fully Prepared Pizza Sauce and Sysco's Fancy Pureed Tomatoes.  They as well, I think, only add a few spices as you can't see much in the sauce.  I also like their sauce.  I wonder if the puree dilutes the citric acid taste in the Stanislaus? 

I have made some OK/good sauces with the Stanislaus Full Red base but nothing like any pizza place I've been to.  I've made some great doughs thanks to everyone on here, found some descent cheeses but the sauce still has a ways to go to really experience a better or equal quality homemade pizza. 

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.  I am also looking for any somewhat local places to order the Bonta from...??  It doesn't look like I can order a can of these from Escalon and Pennmac shipping to Idaho I think if like $22 for a $6 can.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:10:01 AM by Pizzacrazy7 »
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Dumpster Diving-Sauce Bases
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
yes, that is almost surely a relabeled escalon product.  For them to rebrand or make you a custom product you just have to order a lot, but if your pizzeria chain has a warehouse they probably do that as it saves them a bunch of money.   There are a few places I know of that do the rebranded Escalon product, and the no citric acid on the label is a major indicator as well as the can codes.

When you get into the Bonta line (very thick and smooth with almost paste consistency) the differences between that and their stanislaus equivalents are negligible.  The wetter they get (up to whole peeled) the more you notice differences from the citric acid.  From what my taste buds are telling me it seems like they use more acid as the product gets wetter.  Your comment about the bitter smell is unusual for a stanislaus product, and sounds very much like a tomato product that has been sitting on the shelves for too long.   Was the color dark, rather than a bright red?

Offline Pizzacrazy7

• In Search Of...
Re: Dumpster Diving-Sauce Bases
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:05:11 PM »
No, the color is a nice bright red, it just has an unidentifiable smell.  It doesn't smell like tomatoes.  Smells like tin/?  I'm not real sure what it is, I just assumed it was the citric acid since I didn't smell this from the 6-1's I opened.  I know Stanislaus is one of the 2 leading tomato producers but it has a hint of something I just don't like.  Although, the local pizza place Nates NY Style, uses the fully prepared as a base mixed with puree and I like their sauce.   
"You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - John Wooden

pizzapan