Author Topic: Killer sauce!!! Tomato experts needed  (Read 3004 times)

Offline HamPepMush

Killer sauce!!! Tomato experts needed
« on: March 05, 2009, 11:11:54 PM »
Ok, the cliff notes version - went to Austin Tx this past weekend...thanks to this forum, had some promising pizza leads to track down, along with a few less-than-worthy joints recommended by locals and friends.  The far and away winner for this 3-6 times/week pizza-scarfing freak was one Home Slice pizza.  After touching off 6 slices of their large pep mush for the second time in a day (is that wrong?), I rekindled my inquisition with the waitstaff and cooks about that bright red, zesty, sweet, perfect tomato sauce.  Third time was a charm and a nose-ringed darling from the waitstaff went to the back room determined to find an answer to my request for the names on those big tomato cans that she sees them mix up everyday.  She came back having written them down, nearly legibly, but my overzealous wife washed my sauce-stained pants, and the napkin note, the instant we got back!  I only briefly took a look at the note at our table, thinking I could spend some time analyzing it later.  We were homeward bound back to Michigan after that.  Well this is what I recall from the scribble -

"sauce is a mix of 2 cans- 1 part Bonta extra heavy sauce with basil, 1 part red marinara tomatoes from Escalon."  I keep wondering if she had 'full red' or 'whole red' or 'full ground red' or something else there, but I know that she had 'red' and 'marinara' on it for sure.  I sure would love to figure out what the heck kind of canned tomatoes is mixed with the Bonta sauce.  I also picked apart the yummy sauce and found fennel, basil and pepper for sure...not so worried about that - just want some help tracking down those tomatoes!!!   :'(   

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: Killer sauce!!! Tomato experts needed
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
HPM,

As you can see, "Bonta" is made by Escalon. For the marinara reference I think it could be the "Bella Rossa" product. I'd shoot Escalon and e-mail, inquiring about it.

http://www.escalon.net/products.aspx

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline HamPepMush

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »
Yup, going to get the Bonta and my best guess at the 'red'/'marinara' mystery tomatoes from Escalon soon - actually had nixed Bonta from my 'favorites' list when I had an overly sweet (aka fakey-candy tasting) pie from an otherwise awesome pizzeria that had cans of Bonta in the back room.  After having that Home Slice magic, I'm thinking that my local pizzeria must be dumping in lots of corn syrup or sugar...man to I hate that!  I did email Escalon right when I returned back, but no word from them.  Any idea who I should talk to if I try to call?   

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 03:44:15 PM »
Any idea who I should talk to if I try to call?

HPM,

I'm not trying to be a smartass but since you don't know anyone personally at Escalon, I'd start with Customer Service.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »
Not long ago, there was a post at Reply 29 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7621.msg66035.html#msg66035 that gave a name of a customer service person (Tammy Hanson). That might be a good place to start since she is already aware of our forum.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 11:26:17 PM »
I had to deal with Tammy a few times sourcing tomatoes and she was really helpful and friendly.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:28:44 PM by scott r »

Offline HamPepMush

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:46:41 AM »
Excellent!  thank you so much...I should have mentioned that I remembered reading that old thread  - just couldn't find it in my searches!  I nearly resorted to the generic customer service request, but lately that just hasn't worked for me for ANYTHING (fishing reels/lures, pizza ovens, rental cars, car problems...)  Service all depends on how dedicated the individual you are dealing with is, that's for sure.  thanks again, that's just what I was looking for.

Offline HamPepMush

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:13:35 PM »
Good news!  Our local Gordon Food Service (may not be one in your area - http://gfs.know-where.com/gfs/) can get Escalon products!  A case of #10 Bontas is $33, a case of 6 in 1's should be cheaper I would guess.  So the first attempt to reproduce that epic Home Slice sauce will be a 50-50 mix of these two, with oregano, salt, pepper and fennel.  Reading other current threads, it sounds like the spices might be playing more of a role than I first thought, but we'll see...

Offline HamPepMush

Struggling here...
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 11:01:46 AM »
Ok, well as excited as I was to crack my case of #10 6 in 1's, I was a bit shocked to see how thick the product was.  From first glance I could see that my intensions to mix Bonta heavy puree with the 6 in 1's won't really fly without adding a good amount of water.  Have experimented a bit with this just now...but not too satisfied with the end result, so far.  I prefer my watery sauce made from canned plum Raffinato tomatoes.  Could the aforementioned Bella Rossa line include a true canned whole tomato packed in juice, not puree, that is par with 6 in 1 quality?  Not sure if Gordon Food Service can supply anything other than the Bonta heavy puree, Bonta tomato sauce with basil and crushed unpeeled 6 in 1's, but I'll be checking.  In any event, this definitely tells me that the amazing Escalon mix that Home Slice had was not 6 in 1's and Bonta heavy puree (not just the thickness, but the color is much darker in my sauce compared to their vibrant light red.)  I'm starting to wonder if the waitress switched a few words around, and she was talking about Bonta sauce with basil mixed with tomatoes canned in puree...or something...the search continues...

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Struggling here...
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 12:42:42 PM »
Could the aforementioned Bella Rossa line include a true canned whole tomato packed in juice, not puree, that is par with 6 in 1 quality? 

Escalon makes two products that would meet your needs, both are packed in fairly thin liquid.  They are definitely on par with the 6 in 1 (I prefer them), but they both need thickening to be used on pizza.

One is the Bella rosa whole peeled pear tomatoes, and the other one (even thinner), is the Christiforo Colombo whole peeled pear tomatoes in juice.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:44:33 PM by scott r »

Offline HamPepMush

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »
Awesome.  May I ask which of those 2 you prefer, based on flavor alone?  thanks a bunch!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 01:47:13 PM »
they really taste the same to me,  I think they are the same product, one is just in a more watery juice so you could add more bonta.   

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »
Homeslice RAWKS!
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

pizzapan