Author Topic: High-gluten flour in Seatte, WA  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Lanie

High-gluten flour in Seatte, WA
« on: March 29, 2008, 05:46:25 PM »
I would like to use high-gluten flour to make pizza, but I am unsure where to find it in Seattle.  It would be especially great if I could purchase a 10 lb. bag. 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: High-gluten flour in Seatte, WA
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 06:10:26 PM »
Lanie,

It is extremely rare to find high-gluten flour sold at the retail level. For the amount of flour you would like to get (10 lbs.), your best bet might be to find a local pizza operator or baker who uses high-gluten flour and ask to buy some. Some foodservice companies will sell to individuals on a cash-and-carry basis but you would have to buy a 50-lb. bag. There are a handful of places that will sell in small quantities but the shipping charges might be higher than you would like to pay. Some of these places are identified at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2264.msg52075.html#msg52075 and later posts. King Arthur also sells the Sir Lancelot high-gluten flour; Amazon may still be reselling that flour also.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 07:33:58 PM »
Like Peter said and also I see you have the Pendleton flour mill in seattle. Call and ask them if you can buy a 50# bag. I did that here in MN as the Conagra mill is 5 blocks from my house and I got a 50# bag for $7.50, well worth the call. For that price you can give 1/2 away and still be way ahead.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 08:29:18 PM »
I got a 50# bag for $7.50, well worth the call. For that price you can give 1/2 away and still be way ahead.

Jon,

I'm sure the price has gone up since you last bought your 50 lb. bag. But the point you make is still valid since small bags of flour have also gone up.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 09:43:54 PM »
Yeah, it's been almost a year but still probably your cheapest bet if they'll sell to you without being a bussiness owner or wholesale buyer. At the very least, worth a phone call. As you said local pizzerias or even bakeries would be the next best.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline nypizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 12:31:27 AM »
Cash & Carry has 50lb bags of high gluten flour.  Works great for pizza!

2208 136th Pl NE
Bellevue, WA 98005