Author Topic: Round Table's Creamy Garlic Sauce?  (Read 38137 times)

Offline daurkin

Round Table's Creamy Garlic Sauce?
« on: March 30, 2008, 09:52:45 PM »
It's been almost a year since I've last had Round Table's White Creamy Garlic Sauce. Now that I've been getting better at making a good pizza dough (thanks to this site) now I need to work on my sauces. Every sauce has a personal rating but man I really liked that old RT White Sauce.

I'm trying to figure out what was it again. I use to work there as a morning food prep many years ago. In fact it was the first year they decided to introduce that new sauce. However I can't remember if that creamy garlic sauce was the same as the ranch sauce or if it was just purchased as is. I found a grocery store that sells a white creamy parmasan and oregano pasta sauce and it's a start for a substitute.

Can anyone help me get that old flavor?  I would really like to make those old garlic twists and white creamy garlic styled pizzas. I just remembered sometimes we'd call it Garlic Ranch sauce for short, I just don't think it was ranch.

Offline thatonegirl

Re: Round Table's Creamy Garlic Sauce?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 08:15:20 PM »
I would love to have a recipe for this sauce myself! It is the best! Have you acquired one yet? Or does anyone have a good "white sauce" recipe??

Offline daurkin

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »
haven't got one yet. I did however find a knock off recipe for another creamy parmesan and basil sauce. It looks like it has the right ingredients, but I haven't tried it yet to see if it's a thin or thick sauce.

However, go to Safeway and look for the Safeway brand sauces in the chilled cheese and sauce section. I get this one that is a small tub of parmesan and basil sauce. It's thick enough for pizza sauce and everyone loves it so far.

Offline thatonegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:16:59 PM »
There aren't any Safeways where I live  :'(
However I am going to the Oregon coast in August so I'll be sure to swing by Safeway there and get some.

Any other suggestions? Please post any recipes you have tried - I'm dying for a good garlicky white sauce!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:41:31 PM »
This might work for you.  I just made it this weekend and it goes great on grilled meats bread etc.  Anything that still has a little heat to it.  I threw a light coat on a white pizza tonight and it was quite good.  If I do anything differently next time I will go with about 3/8 cup of lemon juice so as not to have it come through quite as much as it does.  The recipie seems wrong but it is very right! The comment about until it looks like mayo couldnt be more true.  It is storing very well too and not seperating at all.  Any garlic lover could find 1001 uses for it.  I realize it would be very easy to infuse fresh herbs into.Grilled lemon herb chicken with this on top is just amazing.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thick-Style-Lebanese-Garlic-Sauce/Detail.aspx

do try-  marc

Offline artzipharzi

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 03:11:30 AM »
I love Round Table's Creamy Garlic Sauce too. I haven't tried this yet, but you might try a Bechemel Sauce with loads of garlic. Here is one from Tyler Florence:
    * 1 cup milk
    * 2 bay leaves
    * 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    * 2 tablespoons flour
    * Pinch salt and white pepper
    * 2 garlic cloves, crushed

In a small saucepan, heat the milk and 1 bay leaf to a gentle simmer, stirring so it doesn't scorch the bottom of the pan. Keep the milk on low heat.

Make a white roux by melting butter over low-medium heat in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Just as the foam subsides, add the flour, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or whisk to prevent lumps. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes to coat the flour and remove the starchy taste. Do not allow to brown. Remove from heat, then gradually add a bit of the warm milk to the roux and whisk vigorously. Return the saucepan to the heat and bring up to a low simmer, continuing to add more milk and whisk. Cook for 5 minutes until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Check seasoning; add salt, white pepper, garlic and the remaining bay leaf.

To prevent a skin from forming as the sauce cools, lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface.

Offline Solarfire

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 09:33:24 PM »
I love white sauce(garlic) pizza's, and I bugged an online friend who works for roundtable. He said the big secret is that their cream white sauce is in fact the same ranch sauce they put on their salads and for dipping. I've yet to try it, but I will say that when I've had chicken-bacon-ranch pizza's the ranch sauce always tastes more like a garlic sauce then ranch. I believe the act of baking ranch sauce makes it taste garlicy.

Offline fatdave

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 11:33:19 PM »
I worked at Round Table for about a year back in 1987.  If I remember correctly, the Creamy Garlic Sauce was a combination of whipped butter, olive oil, and garlic.  I don't know the exact formula or proportions as it came in a box, but I do remember those were the three main ingredients.  It was not a bechamel sauce, I know that for a fact, although a bechamel would make a good sauce!  I have been craving that sauce for years.  If I have any luck, I will post again.

Offline GarlicIsLove

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 01:51:25 AM »
if i find the recipe from somewhere i'll let you guys know. but has anyone else had any luck yet?

Offline OaNuE

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 02:00:25 PM »
Round Table Creamy Garlic Sauce is Creamy Buttermilk Ranch  and some sprinkled minced garlic and an Italian spice mix (gereric mix works fine). Used for Chicken Garlic Supreme, Veggie Supreme, and Italian Garlic Supreme. The Veggie Supreme has fresh spinach over the ranch/garlic/italian seasoning under the cheese. : )

Offline Pizza Inhaler

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 08:28:25 PM »
Thanks.  I tried the Ranch buttermilk sauce.  Its ok but I added a lot of chopped garlic sauted in olive oil, more italian seasonings and 2 Tbs of parm cheese and dash of pepper.  I was thinking of adding some white wine but didn't have any or want to make it too runny.  The dressing has vinegar in it.  Not sure if I like but with enough additives, its not really noticable.  The label has an interesting way of assembling the pizza together.  Is this the normal way a pizza place does white sauce?  Putting the tomotoes on the bottom with parm cheese....etc?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:30:28 PM by Pizza Inhaler »

Offline Pizza Inhaler

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Ok.  Had some more of it today.  It really is very good.  The only thing bad is that the calories are much higher then regular tomato sauce. Like 5-6 times higher.

I once ordered a vegetable pizza with the white sauce and it was just horrible. Like white soup under the toppings.  A soggy mess.   

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
I worked at Round Table for about a year back in 1987.  If I remember correctly, the Creamy Garlic Sauce was a combination of whipped butter, olive oil, and garlic.  I don't know the exact formula or proportions as it came in a box, but I do remember those were the three main ingredients.  It was not a bechamel sauce, I know that for a fact, although a bechamel would make a good sauce!  I have been craving that sauce for years.  If I have any luck, I will post again.

Commercial Butter and Margarine blends tend to be closer to 50/50 ratio. (butter/margarine. Margarine/oil or Butter/oil.

1 cup (2 sticks) grade AA butter, at room temperature (I prefer salted butter from Berkeley farms)
1/4 cup Wesson oil (smell oil for any off aromas) may add up to 1/3 cup oil
Finely minced California garlic (RT used raw garlic, but if using jarred use California garlic that is water packed in water such as Garlic World)

1.   Using an electric mixer with whip attachment, blend butter on HI until smooth and creamy.
2.   Reduce mixer speed to medium - medium-high and slowly pour in oil.
3.   Scrape down sides of mixer and whip several minutes more. Until it takes on a white color, consistency of whipped cream and leaves distinct rooster tails.
4.   Note consistency is slightly runny immediately after whipping. Like runny mayo.
5.   Scrape mixture into container and allow to chill (overnight for best results).

Just barely enough to work in my 6 qt. KA, but makes enough for 2 full sheet pans of twists.

Additional Notes: * This mixture may be stored in the refrigerator or at room temperature. From the fridge, it is still spreadable. At room temperature, it softens quickly and is very soft and fluffy. Return fluffy mixture to refrigerator for storage to firm.

California Garlic can be identified by looking at the root end, there should be short roots still attached.

In 1993 this style was changed to the creamy garlic sauce, a Ranch Style Salad dressing.

Branching beyond pizza, Round Table has planned a late summer rollout of an appetizer item called garlic-Parmesan twists -- fresh-baked bread sticks with garlic, herbs and cheeses. August 2, 1993
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.