Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 142844 times)

Offline mkreitz

Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #680 on: September 29, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »
Hey guys, I used BTB's recipe and this was my very first time making a Chicago deep dish.  All I can say, it was way easier than I thought and turned out great for my first pizza.  My first concern was the crust, now on to tweaking and improving.  Thanks to everyone for the great site and input...If anything, I think I overcooked by about 3 or 4 minutes as the crust turned out a bit harder and crispier than I imagined, however it was still great.

Offline BTB

« Reply #681 on: September 30, 2012, 08:08:51 AM »
Excellent looking deep dish pizza.  Are you sure this was your "first time?"  The pictures make one drool for a taste of it.  The last picture maybe showed the bottom of the crust a "tad" overdone.  Consider raising the pan one rack level higher in your oven next time as home ovens do vary alot.  Thanks for the photos as we all appreciate seeing the results of your pizzamaking.

--BTB       ;D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #682 on: September 30, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »
That is a really nice looking pie there,congratulations!
Especially for a first time...these DD pizzas can be difficult to bake because you can't easily lift the edge up to check doneness on the bottom. You did great.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mkreitz

« Reply #683 on: September 30, 2012, 10:42:36 AM »
Thanks guys...I tried another last night and raised the rack one level and probably reduced cooking time by about 2 minutes.  I also added a few pieces of cheese right before the tomato layer to get the "bubble thru" effect and some sausage crumbles on top.  Had to cover with foil about the last 5 minutes of baking to prevent sausage burn but this one turned out WAY better than my first.  I had two friends over and while being from NC, they have never had a true Chicago DD style.  They both said it was one of the best pizzas they have ever eaten.  Thanks again for all the advice...the amount and time and research everyone put into this is quite amazing.  Good stuff!!!

Offline PuRowdy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #684 on: October 01, 2012, 11:55:38 PM »
Very nice work, fantastic looking pizzas. Welcome to a new addiction of trying all kinds of DD pizzas.

Offline beccaporter

« Reply #685 on: October 26, 2012, 09:10:20 AM »
Hello. I am currently reading the 400th reply or so on this thread, but I had to skip ahead. The craving has gotten too powerful, so I am making one of these recipes tomorrow for some family. I am trying to make enough for 3 adults (hearty eaters) and 6 kids (1-2 basically eat like adults). Would a 12 inch and a 9 inch feed us with salad and dessert? Or should I tack on another 9 inch?

I would really appreciate a dough recipe using these guidelines, if it is not too much trouble: cast iron skillets, 1 1/2 inches up the sides, 25% semolina, 8 % rice. I live on my iPad and I can't use the dough calculator because of the lack of flash. Thank you so much, this is an awesome thread!

Offline kurt72

« Reply #686 on: November 10, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
yeah, good looking pie.  i making 2 tomorrow in anticipation for a Bears win!!!

all my Cali friends LOVE my Chicago Pies!  GO BEARS!!

Offline aks801

« Reply #687 on: November 10, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »
yeah, good looking pie.  i making 2 tomorrow in anticipation for a Bears win!!!

all my Cali friends LOVE my Chicago Pies!  GO BEARS!!

And I'm making one in anticipation of a Texans win!

Regardless of the game outcome, we'll both be eating some delicious DD, that's a guarantee.
alan in Katy, TX

"Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss."
 - Pete Townshend

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #688 on: November 10, 2012, 11:46:05 PM »
 8)
And I'm making one in anticipation of a Texans win!

Regardless of the game outcome, we'll both be eating some delicious DD, that's a guarantee.
alan,
And you know it man! Hope you remember to post a pic or two of your game wining pie...thanks.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #689 on: November 13, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »
8)alan,
And you know it man! Hope you remember to post a pic or two of your game wining pie...thanks.

Wow how bad was the bears offense?  Yikes!
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline PizzaFreak100

« Reply #690 on: January 27, 2013, 12:19:51 PM »
Hey all, love this thread!! Is there anyway someone could recalculate BTB's recipe on page 25 for an 8" sloped sided nesting pan. I just cant get a grip on the calculator. Thanks in advance!!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #691 on: January 28, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »
Hey all, love this thread!! Is there anyway someone could recalculate BTB's recipe on page 25 for an 8" sloped sided nesting pan. I just cant get a grip on the calculator. Thanks in advance!!
PizzaFreak100,
Not trying to be a wise guy....but  ;D
you really will benefit from taking your time and getting a handle on the calculator.
It is not all that difficult and if you want some easy peasy personal instruction....PM me and I'll be happy to help you with this.
Bob

Offline Morgan

« Reply #692 on: February 01, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
Looks delicious! Have to try it out maybe next week.

Is it possible to use more of olive oil and cut the corn oil or change it to different oil ? Not sure that i can even find a corn oil.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #693 on: February 01, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »
You sure can Morgan. :chef:

You can use all Corn Oil instead of a Corn Oil/Olive Oil mix (or any oil with high smoke point).
If you can find it, try using Kelapo Coconut Oil Cooking Spray in the bottom of your pan (or grease with coconut oil).
For a punch of garlic flavor, spread fresh crushed garlic on top of the dough, UNDER your layer of mozzarella.
**bla**bla** bacon flavor, **bla**bla**bla...   with cooked crumbled bacon.  :chef:

:pizza: :chef: :D
"Party On, Pizza Makers!" - Possibly Slurms McKenzie.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #694 on: February 01, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »
Is the corn oil used just for the taste or is there something else ?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:59:38 PM by Morgan »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #695 on: February 01, 2013, 04:04:46 PM »
Is the corn oil used just for the taste or is there something else ?
Much else. :)  You will notice a DD recipe calls for much more oil than most other styles. It is what helps to create the "biscuit" texture you often hear described.
I'm not a big fan of olive oil in any dough (needless expense) unless, of course, you're a big fan of the taste. Canola or vegetable oil are also perfectly acceptable alternatives.  ;)

edit: I guess to directly answer your question though...yes, some folks do prefer the flavor of the corn oil.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:13:06 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #696 on: February 02, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »
I just made the dough.... I used 75% of the flour and water and sugar and salt and proofed for 60 minutes, then added the remaining flour and all the oil and butter.

WOW!  I'm not used to making such an oily dough.  It was really weird to knead and work with (compared to making a flour, salt, water, and yeast dough for a neo/new york style 13" pie).

I'll let it rise for 1-2 days in the fridge and then do 9" following the rest of the ingredients (mozz, provalone, sasuage, tomatoes, parmesan, etc.)

Wish me luck!

Offline PuRowdy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #697 on: February 27, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
So I'm looking for a little advice from the experts, need your help guys. 

Here is the pie I made last night.  http://imgur.com/a/YVqkB

Used BTB's recipe back on page 25 and was really happy with how the doughs came out, and the first pizza was tasty, but something isn't quite right.  The crust was just a bit to crunchy (I may have overcooked it), and I may have had a bit to much sauce and not enough cheese.  Could barely taste the pepperoni though there was plenty in there.  Here are a couple of things on my mind:

1. The dough was made that day.  I made two doughs in the batch but needed to make one that night.  The other is resting in the fridge for use tomorrow.  How much do you think the speed at which I used it affected the crust?  I let it warm rise and punched it down multiple times before use?

2. This was a 12" Pie, I'm guessing I used about 12oz of cheese (Sliced Mozz), should I be stepping that up?

3. It was cooked in a PSTK Seasoned Deep Dish Pan.  Cooked it at 475 for about 28 minutes.  Should I be shooting for a lower temp (450 perhaps) and a shorter time.  I just feel as though I overcooked this.

I had a Lou's a couple weekends ago in a trip to Chicago and still really miss that pizza.  Any critiques and/or ideas for improvement are greatly appreciated!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #698 on: February 27, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »
Mr. Rowdy,
I think your same day dough is fine and you did a good job with it...did you include semolina?

I'm not crazy about your pan...it looks kind of thick.I'm a big fan of the PSTK pans, just not familiar with the sloped sided ones vs straight sided. Your suggestion of trying a lil cooler temp. 450 should help the situation(I agree that it is slightly over done)

I see cheese poking up through the meat...are you laying your "tiles" of mozz all completely on the floor/bottom of pie?

Sauce...what exactly are you using, It's hard to tell by the pic but it looks a bit saucy/puree ish. I use canned whole and break them up by hand, leaving small pieces/chunks intact. If using the ones that are "packed in puree" then I include the puree with the hand squeezed whole tomatoes. Conversely, if the whole's are packed with much juice I will strain the hand squeezed mix a 'lil in a fine mess strainer for 5-10 min. to aquire a thicker consistency.

All in all, you are very close and you are on the right track.
btw, how is the cool cat Boss doing?   8)

Bob

edit: yes, more cheese...sauce amount looks spot on though...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:57:36 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline PuRowdy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #699 on: February 27, 2013, 04:21:52 PM »
btw, how is the cool cat Boss doing?  

Boss man is living the life, he's been down in Vero Beach Florida living on the beach for the past month and has another month to go. :-)

Thanks for the input, I will go with more cheese and lower the temp and keep a closer eye on the crust as it goes.  Also yes there was semolina in there 80/20 KAAP/Semolina.  

That sauce I was using was just a can of crushed tomatoes that I threw some oregano in.  This was a real impromptu pizza so I didn't have the time to do everything the way I wanted or use the tomatoes I wanted.  I usually used Escalon 6-In-1 with some seasoning but I didn't have access to them at this time.  

The reason a bit of cheese is popping through is that I put a few pieces of cheese on top of the meats just to see how it would react and thought I may need a bit more cheese.

Thanks for the input.  Will be back with more after the next round.

pizzapan