Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 153784 times)

Offline sotaboy

Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #720 on: April 18, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »
BTB, good to see you posting again.
And you brought up a favorite memory for me, Tiebels.  My dad's and my birthdays were a couple days apart, so several times we went to Tiebels to celebrate. Lake perch drenched in butter, OMG, it was so good. And, back then, it was all you could eat, they would just bring a new fondue sized pot with more fish.
Sadly, from reviews I've read online, Tiebels is just a fraction of it's former self.
Now, if I could only find a good recipe for the Polish sausage and sauerkraut dishes that were served at all the buffets and weddings on the south side, I'd be in heaven.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #721 on: April 18, 2013, 06:15:33 PM »
Awesome write up, BTB!  Thanks!  This thread had been kinda forked, with recipes all over the place.  Nice to see you packaged it up all tidy here.  (And now with everyone chiming in, we re-bury it in the middle somewhere, lol.)

I went to Tiebels a couple of summers ago with my folks.  Not as good as the old days, alas.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #722 on: April 18, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
Awesome write up, BTB!  Thanks!  This thread had been kinda forked, with recipes all over the place.  Nice to see you packaged it up all tidy here.  (And now with everyone chiming in, we re-bury it in the middle somewhere, lol.)

I went to Tiebels a couple of summers ago with my folks.  Not as good as the old days, alas.

Cheers,
Garvey

Wait so no more rice flour?  Lol
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline BTB

« Reply #723 on: April 19, 2013, 09:08:45 AM »
Where on earth did you find those tomatos?  Haven't seen them in Chicago for a year. 

. . . I am cooking up a 14in tomorrow and was wondering how long u think I should bake it for? . . . Did you go longer for the raw sausage too?

Hey Nate, I had some Malnati's cans left over from last fall when I was in Chicago.  I will check my sources out when I return to the Chicago area this summer to see if I can still get some.  I think Malnati's problem was that they anticipated alot more demand that didn't materialize and their supply started to get outdated.  Many complaints were had about cans of tomatoes sold near or past their sell by date, which was unfortunate.  The Slice website just had a raving review yesterday about Muir Glen tomatoes and found them to be among the best. And I have always been high on that brand, too.

In regards to the cooking time, ovens vary alot and I would guess a big 14" to take from 35 to 45, maybe even 50 minutes.  Watching it closely the first time is key, BUT I've seen too many pizzamakers think it's done only to find out its not finished in the middle.  Trial and error is the only guideline.  And uncooked sausage easily cooks within the long time that Chicago pizzas usually cook for.  Good luck.

Chicago Bob, I see that you've become a celebrity of sorts on this website.  But not only that . . . you've also become a helpful, frank and major contributor to all our pizzamaking efforts.  I love your ". . . no pics . . . then it didn't happen! !"

--BTB       ;D

Offline BTB

« Reply #724 on: April 19, 2013, 09:31:23 AM »
PuRowdy, I noted that your location was Northern Indiana and thought that you may be familiar with one of my favorite all time restaurants, Tiebel's in Schererville.  They don't serve pizza, but do many other kinds of foods really good.  They are famous for their real Great Lakes Yellow Lake Perch, which were the most common fish in the Great Lakes in decades gone by, but have become rarer and rarer as other fishes have invaded the Great Lakes.  It's one of my favorite meals.  Tiebel's is also famous for their Old Style Austrian Fried Chicken, which is always AYCE.  The Yellow Lake Perch is only AYCE on Fridays, but is available everyday as a meal.   

Sotaboy and Garvey, my wife and I usually go to Tiebel's at least once a year during the summer when I'm in the area and I thoroughly enjoy the meal.  I usually go on a Friday and either get the AYCE Yellow Lake Perch, which is fantastic, or the AYCE Fried Chicken and Lake Perch Combination meal, and I usually get two or three refills and don't need to eat anything the day after! !  I've been going there since I was a child and its still pretty good, but the area has built up tremendously and the competition for restaurants there has increased a lot.  Just like with quality mom and pop pizzerias, the chains and fast food places have had a negative impact on quality restaurants unfortunately.

--BTB        :drool:

Online vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #725 on: April 19, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »
Hey Nate, I had some Malnati's cans left over from last fall when I was in Chicago.  I will check my sources out when I return to the Chicago area this summer to see if I can still get some.  I think Malnati's problem was that they anticipated alot more demand that didn't materialize and their supply started to get outdated.  Many complaints were had about cans of tomatoes sold near or past their sell by date, which was unfortunate.  The Slice website just had a raving review yesterday about Muir Glen tomatoes and found them to be among the best. And I have always been high on that brand, too.

I think I still have one of those Lou Malnati's tomato cans in my pantry.
For those interested, we had an earlier discussion about Lou's and other canned tomatoes here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10837.0.html

I've also been recommending Muir Glen. The best variety that I've used from them is the 'Crushed with Basil'. It has a more consistent texture compared to the 'random cut' Lou's tomatoes. IMHO, It's the best choice for deep dish, as you can pretty much use right out of the can without much (or any) need for draining and it's just chunky enough. I also like the Muir Glen puree as a base for Chicago thin crust (but that's another subject). If you like a smoother deep dish sauce, the puree is a nice option. I'd just add some dried (or fresh chopped) basil to it and add sugar/salt to taste. I should write up a new tomato article for Deep Dish 101. (did I type that or just think it? - D'oh!)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:35:34 AM by vcb »
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #726 on: April 19, 2013, 10:42:14 AM »
BTB:

I will gladly give Tiebel's another shot.  Thanks for the report that it's still good.  Perch is so delicate that it really can vary quite a bit, depending on who's working the kitchen.  I remember loving Phil Smidt's perch, too, and the "family style" dining they offered.  The other great place for perch was the Miller Beach Cafe (in the Miller section of Gary).  Theirs was so very lightly battered, barely covering the delicate filets.  But that place is also no more, from what I understand.  The nearby Flamingo's Pizza in Miller gets raves.  I've never had it but would like to try it next time I'm up that way.  So many pizzas, such little time.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline pythonic

« Reply #727 on: April 19, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »
FYI....I called up a malnatis carry out store near me and they said they can sell the sauce as a side.  $1.50 for 8oz.  Seems a little bit high but their tomatoes are the %$#.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #728 on: April 19, 2013, 05:35:50 PM »
A buck fity ain't too bad...places like that aren't going to give away noth'in. They don't need to.... >:(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #729 on: April 19, 2013, 06:24:55 PM »
FYI....I called up a malnatis carry out store near me and they said they can sell the sauce as a side.  $1.50 for 8oz.  Seems a little bit high but their tomatoes are the %$#.

You only need 14-18 oz to cover a 12 inch pie, so I guess it's the service charge you pay for not just ordering a pizza from them.
Just pick up a $3 can of Muir Glen Crushed with Basil. It'll make you happy.  :pizza:
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline pythonic

« Reply #730 on: April 21, 2013, 10:52:08 PM »
You only need 14-18 oz to cover a 12 inch pie, so I guess it's the service charge you pay for not just ordering a pizza from them.
Just pick up a $3 can of Muir Glen Crushed with Basil. It'll make you happy.  :pizza:

I tried a can of crushed without the basil on Friday but I prefer their whole peeled plum tomatoes.  Have u given those a try yet?

Nate
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:09:30 PM by pythonic »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #731 on: April 22, 2013, 03:53:53 PM »
Have to keep paying homage to this thread.  Without it I would have never thought to add semolina to my pizzas.

4% Semolina Flour
425F
25 minute bake

Flour (100%):  202.88 g  |  7.16 oz | 0.45 lbs
Water (47%):  95.35 g  |  3.36 oz | 0.21 lbs
ADY (.7%):  1.42 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.38 tsp | 0.13 tbsp
Olive Oil (6%):  12.17 g | 0.43 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.71 tsp | 0.9 tbsp
Corn Oil (18.5%):  37.53 g | 1.32 oz | 0.08 lbs | 8.34 tsp | 2.78 tbsp
Butter/Margarine (1%):  2.03 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.43 tsp | 0.14 tbsp
Sugar (1.5%):  3.04 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.76 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
Salt:  1/4 tsp

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #732 on: April 22, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »
Boy, that's a really nice looking one right there Nate...excellent work.  :chef:

Bob

Offline pythonic

« Reply #733 on: April 24, 2013, 09:36:01 PM »
Thanks Bob.  Best deep dish I have ever made.  Now if I could just master Giordanos.  May have to get a summer job there.

Nate

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #734 on: April 30, 2013, 07:04:58 PM »
Recent info on time, oil , temp ect....Have been using BTB's semolina formula since inception...Just recently noticed info concerning baking temp, when to add oil and pan oiling....to be honest have been happy with our pizza for many years .....had Lou's about once a week for 25 years either in or pick up....today I made the usual BTB formula using 20% semolina..our new process included adding oil first to the flour/semolina blend and mixing well by hand.. 4-5 hour bench rise and punch down, overnight in fridge punch down with 3-4 hour bench rise with another punch down or two, spraying pan with grill oil and baking at 425...we  pre-heated oven with stone at 500 reduced to 425 and baked turning once half way thur the 30 minute bake cycle....in the past it was 475 for 20 maybe a touch more....results was the most crispy crust we ever had without  burning or extremely brown crust....not bad folks...I would suggest you try this concept and would love to hear further comments...I really think the oil first mixed well and the lower temp makes a great difference....we have an electric over with a temp probe inside....it might have been to crispy and wish I knew how to send pics but I am an old guy and don't know how to do it....

tbv
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:44:40 PM by Steve »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #735 on: April 30, 2013, 07:15:45 PM »
Recent info on time, oil , temp ect....Have been using BTB's semolina formula since inception...Just recently noticed info concerning baking temp, when to add oil and pan oiling....to be honest have been happy with our pizza for many years .....had Lou's about once a week for 25 years either in or pick up....today I made the usual BTB formula using 20% semolina..our new process included adding oil first to the flour/semolina blend and mixing well by hand.. 4-5 hour bench rise and punch down, overnight in fridge punch down with 3-4 hour bench rise with another punch down or two, spraying pan with grill oil and baking at 425...we  pre-heated oven with stone at 500 reduced to 425 and baked turning once half way thur the 30 minute bake cycle....in the past it was 475 for 20 maybe a touch more....results was the most crispy crust we ever had without  burning or extremely brown crust....not bad folks...I would suggest you try this concept and would love to hear further comments...I really think the oil first mixed well and the lower temp makes a great difference....we have an electric over with a temp probe inside....it might have been to crispy and wish I knew how to send pics but I am an old guy and don't know how to do it....

tbv

Are your pics on your phone or camera?

Nate
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:45:05 PM by Steve »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #736 on: April 30, 2013, 07:39:57 PM »
wish I knew how to send pics but I am an old guy and don't know how to do it....

hey man, don't blame yourself, this forum is the most difficult I've ever seen in terms of posting photos.  I'm with you -- i'd post a ton more photos if it wasn't such a hassle!   :chef:  I know the mods have a reason for having such a strict and difficult process, but IMO having some photos that don't work in 10 years is better than having no photos to begin with!   >:D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #737 on: April 30, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »

tbv
FLAVORMAN,
First of all, 61 ain't old and like CDN said ;posting pics can be a little tricky but if I can do it so can you. We'll get you past this 'lil trouble...no problem.
I really want to see this last pie of yours . I have also recently been monkeying around with bake times on these DD pizza's and , like yourself, am seeing there may be a better way.
I am old school Chi thin crust guy and grew up learning that we whisk the lard in with the flour first thingso that is another thing I like about what you're doing.
Let's get this pic thing figured out for you.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:45:27 PM by Steve »

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #738 on: May 01, 2013, 08:05:03 AM »
Sure wish I was 61 add 10... my flip phone stays in the car and only get a couple of calls a week..My wife on the other hand is a pro..next pie I will get some help from her and you can see what we eat. I really think the time and temp as well as adding oil first makes for some more experiments. Good thing is you can eat the experiment. Great bunch of people on this site...

Offline BTB

« Reply #739 on: May 01, 2013, 11:29:38 AM »
I really think the time and temp as well as adding oil first makes for some more experiments. Good thing is you can eat the experiment.
Flavorman, I think you're great pizzamaker and love to hear of your experiments and thoughts here. 

I'm thinking of trying an experiment making two small deep dish pizzas, one with adding the oils first and the other with adding it near the end of the blending process, and then comparing the two.  But I need a clearer understanding of the difference in approaches.  Are the thoughts relating to adding all the oils first mean to add the oils first into the flour blend, which is either the bread or AP flour together with the semolina flour, before all the other ingredients, i.e., water, water/ADY blend, salt, sugar, and softened butter? 

Please, anyone, add their thoughts here regarding this "oil first" idea.

--BTB

pizzapan