Author Topic: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina  (Read 158420 times)

Offline jimmy33

Re: Malnati Deep Dish with Semolina
« Reply #160 on: April 09, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »
Thanks . Im new at this , so to be clear 8ozs of flour = 1 cup correct?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #161 on: April 09, 2009, 03:37:32 PM »
Thanks . Im new at this , so to be clear 8ozs of flour = 1 cup correct?

I am not sure what you mean by that conversion, but you don't need it to use the deep-dish dough calculating tool. If you are referring to a conversion of eight ounces of flour by weight to a volume, it does not equal a cup. Which recipe in particular are you trying to convert to a 15" pan?

Peter

Offline vonBanditos

« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2009, 01:13:24 PM »
I'm going to pipe back in this thread and say that this recipe has made me quite popular with my family and friends. Even though I'm too thick to properly weigh/measure oil, my pizza still turns out incredibly well. I would feel comfortable serving this in a restaurant.

Thanks BTB for the great recipe and thanks also to Pete-zza for tirelessly answering questions!

Offline jimmy33

« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2009, 02:03:13 PM »
Pete-zza
        I followed your recipe (tastes great by the way)  but I dont have a scale.
How many tablespoons of flour or cups of flour and semolina would it come out to ? 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2009, 03:34:42 PM »
Pete-zza
        I followed your recipe (tastes great by the way)  but I dont have a scale.
How many tablespoons of flour or cups of flour and semolina would it come out to ? 

jimmy33,

Is the recipe you want to use the first one at Reply 155 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6480.msg71513.html#msg71513 ? If so, which brand of all-purpose flour and which brand of semolina flour will you be using? I use member November's Mass-Volume Conversion Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ to do the kinds of conversions you requested. If the brand and type of flour you will be using is not in the pull-down menu, I will not be able to give you accurate conversion data.

Also, what amount of semolina flour do you want to use? I have seen 15%, 20% and 25%.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:09:00 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline jimmy33

« Reply #165 on: April 28, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Hey pete-zza
     Yes it is the 155 reply. I  use kaap flour and bob's red mill semolina. 25 % semolina is what I use.
                                   Thanks again for your help, jimmy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #166 on: April 28, 2009, 12:45:57 PM »
Hey pete-zza
     Yes it is the 155 reply. I  use kaap flour and bob's red mill semolina. 25 % semolina is what I use.
                                   Thanks again for your help, jimmy

jimmy,

For purposes of recapitulation, here is the dough formulation and particulars:

KAAP All-purpose/Semolina Flour Blend* (100%):
Water (47%):
ADY (0.70%):
Salt (0.50%):
Olive Oil (6%):
Corn Oil (18.5%):
Butter/Margarine (1%):
Sugar (1.5%):
Cream of Tartar (0.75%):
Total (175.95%):
481.67 g  |  16.99 oz | 1.06 lbs
226.39 g  |  7.99 oz | 0.5 lbs
3.37 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.89 tsp | 0.3 tbsp
2.41 g | 0.08 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.43 tsp | 0.14 tbsp
28.9 g | 1.02 oz | 0.06 lbs | 6.42 tsp | 2.14 tbsp
89.11 g | 3.14 oz | 0.2 lbs | 6.6 tbsp | 0.41 cups
4.82 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.02 tsp | 0.34 tbsp
7.23 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.81 tsp | 0.6 tbsp
3.61 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.2 tsp | 0.4 tbsp
847.5 g | 29.89 oz | 1.87 lbs | TF = 0.126875
Note: For 15" pan with a depth of 2" and the dough rising 1 1/2" up the sides of the pan; nominal thickness factor = 0.125; bowl residue compensation = 1.5%
* The blend comprises 361.25 g./12.74 oz. KAAP and 120.42 g./4.25 oz. Bob's Red Mill semolina flour

To do the flour conversion, I used member's Mass-Volume Conversion Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/. I selected the KAAP from the Substance pull-down menu, and Textbook from the Measurement Method pull-down menu. With these selections, the 361.25 g./12.74 oz. of KAAP translates to 2 c. + ½ c. + ⅓ c. + 3 t. In measuring out the flour, it is important that you use the Textbook method of flour measurement as that term is defined in the Mass-Volume Conversion Calculator. Otherwise, your results are likely to be off.

The 120.42 g./4.25 oz. of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour converts to a bit over 11.5 tablespoons (a bit less than 3/4 cup). For this conversion, I used a conversion factor of 0.1227219 oz. semolina flour/teaspoon.

Again using the Mass-Volume Conversion Calculator, the 226.39 g./7.99 oz. of water in the above table converts to ½ c. + ⅓ c. + 3 T.

Since it is easy to make mistakes in calculations of the above nature, you may want to double check my math and conversions. That will also allow you to learn how to use the tool yourself the next time.

Peter

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:07:35 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline jimmy33

« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2009, 11:46:50 AM »
Thanks Pete-zza

Offline BTB

« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2009, 10:55:22 AM »
I made a variation on this pizza yesterday.  I used 80% King Arthur all-purpose flour and instead of just 20% semolina, I used 10% semolina and 10% rice flour.  And also added some more butter to the mixture.  The result was fantastic . . . a tasty, flavorful pizza with a little more crispy bite to the crust.  Using the Deep-Dish Pizza Dough Calculator on this website, the dough formulation or recipe for a 12" deep dish pizza with a 2" straight-sided deep dish pan, with the crust going up approx. 1.5 inches up the side, a 1.5% bowl residue and a TF (thickness factor) of .125, was as follows:

Flour Blend *(100%):  333.41 g  |  11.76 oz | 0.74 lbs
Water (47%):  156.7 g  |  5.53 oz | 0.35 lbs
ADY (.85%):  2.83 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.75 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
Olive Oil (6%):  20 g | 0.71 oz | 0.04 lbs | 4.45 tsp | 1.48 tbsp
Corn Oil (12%):  40.01 g | 1.41 oz | 0.09 lbs | 8.89 tsp | 2.96 tbsp
Butter/Margarine (6%):  20 g | 0.71 oz | 0.04 lbs | 4.23 tsp | 1.41 tbsp
Sugar (1%):  3.33 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.84 tsp | 0.28 tbsp
Total (172.85%): 576.3 g | 20.33 oz | 1.27 lbs | TF = 0.126875
   *Note:  The amount of all-purpose flour is 266.73 g./9.41 oz. (80%), the amount of semolina is
                33.34 g./1.17 oz. (10%), and the amount of rice flour is 33.34 g/1.17 oz (10%); the total
                amount of oil is approx. 60 g. (18%) ; plus 1.4 Tbsp of melted and cooled butter (6%)
   **1 tsp of Baker's NFDM was added, which is optional but highly recommended.  It's addition is
                insignificant to the weight of the dough ball.

I sifted the all purpose flour into a bowl, added the other dry ingredients (which included 10% semolina and 10% rice flour), added the "proofed" yeast (proofed in approx. 105 degree F water for about 10 min.) as well as the rest of the water, oil and melted butter and mixed with a wooden spoon and by hand for about a minute.  I then covered the bowl and let it puff up in a slightly warmed oven (90 degrees F) for approx. 60 minutes.  After an hour, I punched the risen dough ball down, covered and let it sit on the counter for about 4 or 5 hours, punching it down an additional time.  I then pressed the dough out by hand on the counter to a circular shape to about a 13" plus diameter, rolled it up and gently put it into a pan that I previously put about a tablespoon or two of olive oil on the bottom.  It's important -- I think -- to press or crimp the edges or lip of the pizza crust tightly to the edge of the pan to get that nicer thin and crispy edge or lip to the pizza as opposed to the thick or fatter lip or rim that's not that common at most of the Chicago Style deep dish pizzerias. 

In trying to clean out my refrigerator, I used up about all the remaining cheese that I had in it, which include first some slices of mozzarella, then a lot of scamorza that I shredded from a block that I had left, and then a few pieces of provolone, too.  I probably put a little too much cheese on which created a slight problem for me later when I took the pizza out of the pan, but a nice cheesy pizza can make for a good meal.  On top of the cheese I put some great uncooked sausage from my favorite local Italian deli.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:40:55 AM by BTB »

Offline BTB

« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2009, 10:57:57 AM »
Since I ran out of my favorite 6 in 1 sauce, I instead used for the first time a can of Tuttorasso crushed tomatoes that I found at my local grocer and which the American Test Kitchen gave their highest rating on.  It was too thin for my liking, however, so I added also a can of Muir Glen diced tomatoes (drained) to the 10 or 11 ounces of the thin Tuttorasso sauce, along with some Penzey pizza spices, white pepper, brown sugar, oregano, basil, minced garlic, a dash of honey, garlic salt and some shredded artisan parmesan.  I cooked the pizza at 450 degrees F for about 25 minutes on the bottom rack of my oven, turning 180 degrees midway through the cycle.   Near the end of the baking period I added some pepperoni on top of half of the pizza, which I'm finding to be the best way to do the pepperoni.  After baking, I had a small problem getting the pizza out of the pan (due to my inattention to what I was doing) and the pizza broke up a little on getting it onto the cutting board, as well as the cheese sliding some of the ingredients over to one side.  But while it looked a little sloppy because of my mishandling of it out of the pan, it tasted absolutely fantastic and really hit the spot.  It got one of the higher ratings in my household.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:19:04 AM by BTB »

Offline BTB

« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2009, 10:59:16 AM »
My wife, son and I quickly devoured the very tasty pizza and I quickly took a picture of the last piece before it too got consumed.  I highly recommend trying this with a little amount of rice flour added as indicated above.  It really gives the deep dish pizza crust a great texture, taste and flavor.   --BTB

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2009, 01:51:28 AM »
does the rice flour add a bubbly airy-ness to your crust?  some of your pics looks like it does.   that "airy-ness" reminds me a bit of how aurelios as a thin crust is different...you see any connection there? does maybe aurelios use some rice flour?  great great looking pie by the way!!! thanks!

-=terry

Offline BTB

« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2009, 12:31:52 PM »
Terry, I don't know about the bubbly air-ness, but the rice flour seems to add a lightness to the character of the crust that I find very desirable.  Several people with whom I recommended just trying some added rice flour have raved about it and would not return to making a pizza crust without a small amount of rice flour added to the crust mixture.  It is definitely worth experimenting with to see if it fits your's and your friends' and families' bill or taste. 

As you know, I am fairly familiar with Aurelio's and since I started making homemade pizzas, I've often wondered if they too didn't put a small amount of rice flour in their crust formulation.  While I suspect so, I cannot be certain that's the case.

Oh, BTW, since I'm back in the midwest for the summer, I had some DiMaggio's pizza the other night from up in Hagar Shore, MI that I know you're familiar with and it was great.                                   --BTB

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2009, 02:02:25 AM »
Thank for the great advice BTB!  oh man!!! i am jealous of you!! My parents have been getting dimaggios on fridays now that theyre back up there for the summer.....ive been so jealous!  i may be there in august or early sept. and after grabbing an aurelios in oakbrook on the way up to michigan from ohare, dimaggios is on the must do list! 

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2009, 02:00:09 PM »
The other thing you can do with the flour mix in this recipe is to substitute finely ground corn flour for a portion of the semolina.  I've made a couple of the part semolina/part cornmeal pies and they were mind-blowingly good.  I've got one on the counter rising right now. 

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2009, 02:11:33 PM »
I tried a BTB Chicago deep dish style pizza this past weekend using 70% all purpose flour, 20% semolina, and 10% rice flour.  I have to say in this particular experiment, I was not happy with the results.  The taste of the rice flour came through too much in the crust and I didn't care for it.  I still like the semolina, but I will probably not use the rice flour in my deep-dish pies in the future.  I have tried (at BTB's suggestion) rice flour in other dough recipes, such as a thin American-style dough recipe and found it to work just fine.  I usually use between 10-20% rice flour if I use it.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline BTB

« Reply #176 on: November 14, 2009, 10:10:42 AM »
I made two 9" deep dish pizzas recently -- the first with 80% white flour and 20% semolina flour, and the second with 80% white flour, 12% semolina flour and 8% rice flour.  The result was that both pizzas were terrific and absolutely delicious. 

Offline BTB

« Reply #177 on: November 14, 2009, 10:14:15 AM »
Similar to a number of pizzamaking tests that I did with this in the recent past, among my taste testers there was a slight preference for the version with a little rice flour.  I, too, thought both were great, but thought the little extra crunch that the rice flour gave to the crust was a feature that I and others have found a desirable characteristic to the pie.  To both pizzas I added 1 tsp. of baker's NFDM, which I find myself doing almost regularly to all styles of thin and thick pizzas these days.  And since I ran out of my King Arthur AP flour, I had to use GM's Better for Bread flour with these pizzas.  While it turned out with a slightly greater "puff" to the crust, the pizzas turned out seemingly just as great anyway. 

Offline BTB

« Reply #178 on: November 14, 2009, 10:18:46 AM »
And to the 6 in 1 sauce that I drained for about 20 minutes, I added some white and black pepper, salt, minced garlic, Penzey pizza spices, some great diced tomatoes from Muir Glen, a dash of light brown sugar as well as honey, and sprinkled some Penzey basil and oregano and some grated parmesan cheese on top.  I find myself more and more just putting on "pinches" of the spices as they can be overpowering if put on too heavily.  The picture of the underneath portion of the crust shows the "perfect" degree of browness in my estimation.  And the last piece shown below was quickly gobbled up after the picture was taken.  All in all, some great pizza eating opportunities.                     --BTB
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:21:53 AM by BTB »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2009, 08:30:03 PM »
Delicious looking BTB!!!
Winter arounfd the corner so I will ba back at the deep dish I will add that rice flour and post results
Kepp em coming PLEASE!!!
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com