Author Topic: My first NY Style (with pics)... need help!  (Read 5095 times)

Offline kickz28

Re: My first NY Style (with pics)... need help!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 12:24:42 PM »
Hi!

I baked two pies today. The dough was really good with the 4-5 day fermentation, but it was also good with just the 1 day... hard to tell the difference.

I took 3.5 minutes today also, like the other day, and as promised I have 2 videos. They are currently uploading to YouTube, I'll post them as soon as they're done.

While you wait, here are some pictures.

Thanks!
Joey

Offline kickz28

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 01:34:14 PM »
Here is the first video (the second one is a bit better):

Next video will be up in 1-2 hours (longer than expected to post a video!)

Thanks!
Joey

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 05:23:38 PM »
Nothing wrong with that! ;D

Save me a slice!  :pizza: :chef:
Let them eat pizza.

Offline kickz28

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »
Here is the second video

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 08:13:57 PM »
Joey,

Thanks for posting the two YouTube videos.

I went back to look at the photo of the stove you referenced and even looked at the owner's manual. In case you are interested, apparently you can increase (or decrease) the temperature in that oven by 35 degrees F from the 500 degrees F rated maximum temperature of the oven. However, I saw nothing to suggest much higher temperatures.

Looking at everything, it appears that your stone is not at the lowest oven rack position. Is that correct? Also, what size were the pizzas this time, and did you preheat the stone for only 15 minutes as you did before?

Peter

Offline kickz28

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 09:49:03 PM »
Joey,

Thanks for posting the two YouTube videos.

I went back to look at the photo of the stove you referenced and even looked at the owner's manual. In case you are interested, apparently you can increase (or decrease) the temperature in that oven by 35 degrees F from the 500 degrees F rated maximum temperature of the oven. However, I saw nothing to suggest much higher temperatures.

Looking at everything, it appears that your stone is not at the lowest oven rack position. Is that correct? Also, what size were the pizzas this time, and did you preheat the stone for only 15 minutes as you did before?

Peter

Hi Pete,

The link to the oven I posted must not be exactly the same as mine then, because mine goes to 550. I don't know if it can go up 35 degrees more or not... all I know is that it says 550 on the screen.

The stone is in fact on the lowest rack position possible, and yes, I put the stone in at the same time as I put the oven on, and yes, I put the pizza in probably 15 minutes after I put the oven on (when it rings, it means its at its temperature, and it takes about 15 minutes).

The pizzas were both 12 inches, with the dough balls weighing approx. 182g. Here is the recipe:
Flour (100%):    214.64 g  |  7.57 oz | 0.47 lbs
Water (62%):    133.08 g  |  4.69 oz | 0.29 lbs
IDY (0.35%):    0.75 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.25 tsp | 0.08 tbsp
Salt (1.9%):    4.08 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.73 tsp | 0.24 tbsp
Oil (3%):    6.44 g | 0.23 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.43 tsp | 0.48 tbsp
Sugar (2%):    4.29 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.08 tsp | 0.36 tbsp
Total (169.25%):   363.27 g | 12.81 oz | 0.8 lbs | TF = 0.05665
Single Ball:   181.64 g | 6.41 oz | 0.4 lbs

I don't know what to say... all I know is that its damn good pizzas. And looking at the videos, the actual baking time is exactly 3:39, which is still pretty damn quick for an electric oven.

I will try different kinds of cheese because although this one tastes very good, it didn't quite melt enough. Maybe I'll cut the pieces a little smaller.

Thanks!
Joey

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 10:21:11 PM »
Joey,

It looks like we got lucky with the modified dough formulation right off the bat. Usually it takes a few iterations with changes to get the dough just right. I'm working through a backlog of pizza at the moment, but maybe when I am done I can try making a dough ball with the same formulation. Offhand, I can't recall making a pizza using such a small amount of dough (just under 6 1/2 ounces). Maybe that amount of dough stretched out to 12" doesn't really require a long bake time.

Thanks again for making the videos and answering all of my questions. It is appreciated.

Peter