Author Topic: Giordanos Chicago Style?  (Read 9096 times)

Offline buzz

Re: Giordanos Chicago Style?
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2005, 10:33:27 AM »
If memory serves (and it's serving me less these days than it used to), I asked Tom Lehman about this once, and he said that Chicago deep dish usually runs from 10-25% oil (or fat).

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2005, 04:31:06 PM »
Buzz's range is consistent with what I have read. Tom Lehmann, in his deep-dish dough recipe in the PMQ.com recipe bank, calls for 3-5%, but I have seen him recommend 7% when butter or Crisco is used (plus oil in the pan). He has also said that he has seen as high as 15% and 20% butter/Crisco in some dough recipes.

I recently saw a couple of Pat Bruno deep-dish recipes (I can hear Buzz groaning now) with 16% (in a pizzatoday.com recipe) and 10%. I estimate from an Emeril's deep-dish dough recipe I saw recently that he uses 22%. A deep-dish dough recipe I found at ivillage.com uses 24% by my estimation. DKM's deep-dish dough recipe on the recipe page of the forum calls for 19.3%. Recently, our members, including me, have been testing the outer limits of the 10-25% range mentioned by Buzz.

Peter

Offline chiguy

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2005, 07:01:24 PM »
 Hi, all
 Thanks for the feedback, it seems these oil ranges are wider than i suspected i have some bad news, i broke my pizza stone yesterday :-[ :[. The good news is that i am going to jump on board and try some of these Deep Dish recipes :). I have neglected my Deep Dish much too long. I will post some results & pics next week.     Chiguy

Offline zalicious

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »
Buzz's range is consistent with what I have read. Tom Lehmann, in his deep-dish dough recipe in the PMQ.com recipe bank, calls for 3-5%, but I have seen him recommend 7% when butter or Crisco is used (plus oil in the pan). He has also said that he has seen as high as 15% and 20% butter/Crisco in some dough recipes.

I recently saw a couple of Pat Bruno deep-dish recipes (I can hear Buzz groaning now) with 16% (in a pizzatoday.com recipe) and 10%. I estimate from an Emeril's deep-dish dough recipe I saw recently that he uses 22%. A deep-dish dough recipe I found at ivillage.com uses 24% by my estimation. DKM's deep-dish dough recipe on the recipe page of the forum calls for 19.3%. Recently, our members, including me, have been testing the outer limits of the 10-25% range mentioned by Buzz.

Peter

These oil ranges are good to know along with the 0-14% recommended by Tim Huff as noted in Chiguys reply # 24. Very nice info for a noob to have. Thanks so much :).

pizzapan