Author Topic: Giordanos Chicago Style?  (Read 8476 times)

Offline buzz

Re: Giordanos Chicago Style?
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2005, 10:48:15 AM »
I don't have the oil leaking problem with the ratio of 6 TBS oil: 2 cups flour. I get a very pliable dough that rises very nicely (I put mine in the oven and give it a shot of 200 degree heat once in a while--maybe a minute or so twice during the rising period). When you pick up the risen dough, it is defintely oily, but not leaky in any way.

If you're using 3 cups flour, then you should have 9 TBS oil total. Knead no more than 2 minutes by hand.

Offline dankfoot

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2005, 11:54:56 AM »
Do you know if 9 TBS = 8oz oil plus .5?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2005, 02:17:03 PM »
Chris,

Weighing liquids is harder than weighing out dry ingredients (you can't really "level" off the top of a tablespoon of a liquid and some sticks to the measuring spoon), but I tared out a 1/2-cup plastic container and weighed 9 tablespoons of canola oil on my digital scale. I got about 4.2 ounces. The oil filled up the container to just about overflowing, so it was actually closer to 8 fluid ounces, but not 8, or 8.5, avoirdupois ounces. When I work with small quantities of ingredients like oil, I often use conversion data for converting between weights and volumes. Using the conversion data for oil, 9 tablespoons would weigh 4.44 ounces. I also used the conversion data on my bottle of canola oil (1 tablespoon = 14 g.), and, after converting from grams to ounces, I got 4.44 ounces again. (BTW, the weight differences between a teaspoon of canola oil and most other oils, including olive oil, are negligible.)

So, Buzz is correct and, while the dough may be oily, it is manageable, and you will get somewhere between 20-30% oil by weight of flour, depending on how light or heavy a hand is used in measuring out the flour volumetrically. Unless DKM meant 8 fluid ounces of oil in his recipe (the one you used), rather than avoirdupois ounces, there seems to be an error in the recipe, since 8.5 ounces of total oil would mean around 17 tablespoons, as previously reported.

Peter

Offline dankfoot

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2005, 03:03:17 PM »
Peter,

Thank you for the help.

I used a measuring cup and measured out 8oz of oil plus .5 oil.
And the dough ball was under oil. So I agree something is wrong. But like I said I was able to take the dough ball out of the bowl and turn the bowl over and dump out about 2 oz of oil. So then I just added more flour and it was good to go. Kind of.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 12:29:55 AM »
 Hi, Everone on this thread
 I have been told by Tim Huff when i took his course that oil usage in pizza crust ranges from 0-14%. A little back ground on Tim Huff is that he works for Genaral Mills as a baking optimizer of sorts. He also stated he flies all over the country(Chicago,New York) to different pizza operators to help them with thier dough processes.He even has been to some of the great places, where they made his sign a confidentiality agreements. I know the pizza may come out ok using 23.5% oil, but it seems a bit high. Does processing your dough within theses ranges seem unreasonable? Is it possible in any of your opinions that Tim's oil % ranges are to low?  Do you think the extra added oil is being used to compensate for the very small mix/knead times? I mean have people that tried this recipe found it hard to incorpoate the oil into the dough?   Just looking for feedback, Chiguy

Offline buzz

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2005, 10:33:27 AM »
If memory serves (and it's serving me less these days than it used to), I asked Tom Lehman about this once, and he said that Chicago deep dish usually runs from 10-25% oil (or fat).

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2005, 04:31:06 PM »
Buzz's range is consistent with what I have read. Tom Lehmann, in his deep-dish dough recipe in the PMQ.com recipe bank, calls for 3-5%, but I have seen him recommend 7% when butter or Crisco is used (plus oil in the pan). He has also said that he has seen as high as 15% and 20% butter/Crisco in some dough recipes.

I recently saw a couple of Pat Bruno deep-dish recipes (I can hear Buzz groaning now) with 16% (in a pizzatoday.com recipe) and 10%. I estimate from an Emeril's deep-dish dough recipe I saw recently that he uses 22%. A deep-dish dough recipe I found at ivillage.com uses 24% by my estimation. DKM's deep-dish dough recipe on the recipe page of the forum calls for 19.3%. Recently, our members, including me, have been testing the outer limits of the 10-25% range mentioned by Buzz.

Peter

Offline chiguy

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2005, 07:01:24 PM »
 Hi, all
 Thanks for the feedback, it seems these oil ranges are wider than i suspected i have some bad news, i broke my pizza stone yesterday :-[ :[. The good news is that i am going to jump on board and try some of these Deep Dish recipes :). I have neglected my Deep Dish much too long. I will post some results & pics next week.     Chiguy

Offline zalicious

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »
Buzz's range is consistent with what I have read. Tom Lehmann, in his deep-dish dough recipe in the PMQ.com recipe bank, calls for 3-5%, but I have seen him recommend 7% when butter or Crisco is used (plus oil in the pan). He has also said that he has seen as high as 15% and 20% butter/Crisco in some dough recipes.

I recently saw a couple of Pat Bruno deep-dish recipes (I can hear Buzz groaning now) with 16% (in a pizzatoday.com recipe) and 10%. I estimate from an Emeril's deep-dish dough recipe I saw recently that he uses 22%. A deep-dish dough recipe I found at ivillage.com uses 24% by my estimation. DKM's deep-dish dough recipe on the recipe page of the forum calls for 19.3%. Recently, our members, including me, have been testing the outer limits of the 10-25% range mentioned by Buzz.

Peter

These oil ranges are good to know along with the 0-14% recommended by Tim Huff as noted in Chiguys reply # 24. Very nice info for a noob to have. Thanks so much :).