Author Topic: beer replaces my water in dough  (Read 1899 times)

Offline VICIII

beer replaces my water in dough
« on: April 02, 2008, 10:26:04 AM »
I use a 12oz beer (bud light to SAM Adams) + 4 oz of water from my fridge filter with 6 cups (or less) bread flour.
works great and has a great taste.  Too strong to beer flavor seems to come from strong beer taste like a lager but the pilsners are perfect.  My friends and family love it.
Anyone else use beer?
would post a pic but how do I do that?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:37:22 AM by VICIII »

Offline Davydd

Re: beer replaces my water in dough
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 07:13:04 PM »
I haven't with pizza but I have with bread and then I like a more stronger taste like Guinness. I don't think I would use Guinness with pizza dough. My next bread might be with Boddington's Pub Ale. That is a smooth light ale.
Davydd

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:52:42 PM »

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:51:26 PM »
Don't know if this matters, but last week I was nosing around on the breadtopia website and was looking at different bread videos.  There's a video of an almost no knead bread dough using beer...the baker also used vinegar with the beer claiming it gave an almost sourdough taste to the bread.  Can't remember the ratios, but it should be easy to find.

John

Offline pnj

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:05:08 PM »
I used to use beer. I also liked using buttermilk. Now that is good flavor.

but what I found was, if I used simple ingrediants and left it in the fridge for a day or two, the crusts all taste the same. Amazing! :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 09:16:39 PM »
Don't know if this matters, but last week I was nosing around on the breadtopia website and was looking at different bread videos.  There's a video of an almost no knead bread dough using beer...the baker also used vinegar with the beer claiming it gave an almost sourdough taste to the bread.  Can't remember the ratios, but it should be easy to find.

John

John,

There is a recent Cook's Illustrated recipe that seems to fit your description, at http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=4748&bdc=56976#topOfPage. Those who are interested in the recipe may want to print it out since CI often moves its public recipes to archives accessible only by their subscribers.

Peter