Author Topic: Pete-zza Does JerryMac's NY Style Pizza  (Read 41171 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pete-zza Does JerryMac's NY Style Pizza
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »
So what would this single ball be at 15". Sorry to be a p.i.a. today, but the good news is I only cook these 3 pizzas!

Flour (100%):181.84 g  |  6.41 oz | 0.4 lbs
Water (68%):123.65 g  |  4.36 oz | 0.27 lbs
IDY (1.3575%):2.47 g | 0.09 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.82 tsp | 0.27 tbsp
Salt-Morton's Kosher (1.61763%):2.94 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.61 tsp | 0.2 tbsp
Honey (4.71332%):8.57 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.23 tsp | 0.41 tbsp
Total (175.68845%):319.48 g | 11.27 oz | 0.7 lbs | TF = 0.0996401

Jim,

This one is simple enough that I would like you to take the first stab at the dough formulation you requested. However, I will give you enough guidance to do it. This is what you should do, using the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html:

1. Select the Thickness Factor option and enter a thickness factor of 0.096738.
2. Enter the number of dough balls you want to make and the shape of the pizzas.
3. Enter the desired pizza size (diameter).
4. Enter the baker's percents for the ingredients (other than for the flour) that you listed in Reply 78
5. Enter a bowl residue compensation of 2.6% (this should work pretty well for a high-hydration dough using your new stand mixer)

Let me know what you get and I will review your numbers.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2009, 12:48:13 PM »
Hat's off Jerry.  An excellent pie without it having to be a weeklong endeavor.

JRo,

I suspect that JerryMac might see your expression of gratitude in this thread, but to be sure you might also want to repeat it at the original JerryMac thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5851.0.html.

Peter

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2009, 12:54:33 PM »
Peter,

Ok all entered. I am waiting to see what to do next though as I see no "calculate", ''tabulate'', or "formulate" button. If I hit enter nothing happens, same as copy. So now what? So far I got this.

Flour (100%):    NaN g  |  NaN oz | NaN lbs
Water (68%):    NaN g  |  NaN oz | NaN lbs
IDY (1.3575%%):    NaN g | NaN oz | NaN lbs | NaN tsp | NaN tbsp
Salt (1.61763%):    NaN g | NaN oz | NaN lbs | NaN tsp | NaN tbsp
Honey (4.71332%):    NaN g | NaN oz | NaN lbs | NaN tsp | NaN tbsp
Total (NaN%):   NaN g | NaN oz | NaN lbs | TF = 0.0992532
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:18:03 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2009, 01:31:35 PM »
Jim,

You made an entry error somewhere. For example, if you leave a box completely blank or if you use a comma by mistake instead of a decimal point, you will get the output you noted. I suggest that you double check all of your entries for correctness.

Peter

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2009, 01:33:50 PM »
Right you were! I had a % symbol in.

Ok for a 15" I get...

Flour (100%):    283.03 g  |  9.98 oz | 0.62 lbs
Water (68%):    192.46 g  |  6.79 oz | 0.42 lbs
IDY (1.3575%):    3.84 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.28 tsp | 0.43 tbsp
Salt (1.61763%):    4.58 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.82 tsp | 0.27 tbsp
Honey (4.71332%):    13.34 g | 0.47 oz | 0.03 lbs | 1.91 tsp | 0.64 tbsp
Total (175.68845%):   497.24 g | 17.54 oz | 1.1 lbs | TF = 0.0992532

ps JRo, right on. Best 8 hour pie I've found.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:36:15 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
Jim,

You got it right.

Peter

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2009, 01:51:27 PM »
Thanks Peter, you da man!

Offline torontonian

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2009, 05:48:18 PM »
Peter,

I've started making this dough as per your original post in this thread.

However, after making the poolish, I figured I would make this dough tomorrow.

How would you suggest I modify it to add an overnight in the fridge?

The poolish is almost done its original 5 hours preferment. My thought was to mix in the remaining ingredients and just cover and chill the dough until tomorrow.

Or would you (or anyone) suggest a better way? For e.g. just follow the recipe as is, and refrigerate the dough after the 3 hours on the counter...

Thanks!

-- Josh

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »
Josh,

Under the circumstances, and since all of the yeast is already in the poolish, I think I would finish off the dough and put it directly into the refrigerator. That should slow down the fermentation and hopefully produce an acceptable finished crust. Tomorrow, about 4 hours before you plan to use the dough to make a pizza, I would remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it temper (warm up) at room temperature. The extra hour of temper time should be sufficient to get the dough to a warm enough temperature to use to make the pizza.

Whatever you do, please let us know how things turn out.

Peter

Offline torontonian

« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2009, 06:19:42 PM »
Thanks Peter. I will do that.

I will also point out that the poolish does not contain all of the IDY. The recipe (as I read it) asks to mix all of the flour and IDY, and then weigh out and equal amount of flour/IDY to the water to make the poolish. I have a little flour (premixed with IDY) sitting in a bowl ready to add after the preferment.

Again, at least how I read it.

-- Joah

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2009, 06:24:29 PM »
Josh,

You are correct on the IDY. I recently created a poolish-based dough formulation for another member in another thread in which I divided the IDY into two parts instead of doing it the way I originally did it, and you are doing it. I would still proceed as I suggested and finished off the dough.

Peter

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2009, 09:04:10 PM »
Wow  :-D We're from Diferent Planets  :-D

Mangia Bene  :chef:
Jerry

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2009, 10:09:14 PM »
Pete,

Thanks for keepin it alive  :D :D

Even though we're from Different Worlds, I Love what you do  :-D :-D :-D :-D

Your Respecfull Friend  :chef:
Jerry

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2009, 08:09:46 AM »
Jerry,

Thanks. The feeling is mutual.

Between the two of us, plus others who occasionally jump on board, we pretty much have all bases covered--you with your original recipe in volume measurements and me with my baker's percent versions :chef:.

Maybe you haven't seen it, but I recently used your basic poolish method to convert another member's dough formulation to an eight-hour poolish format, at Reply 184 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8093.msg82892.html#msg82892. You can see the finished pizza at Reply 194 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8093.msg83503.html#msg83503. Your technique has become a virus  :-D.

Peter

Offline torontonian

« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2009, 01:44:40 PM »
Peter or Jerry,

I've just taken the dough out of the fridge, and boy did this dough rise overnight.

Per Peter's suggestion, I'm going to let it sit out now for 4 hours until I top and bake.

Would you still recommend I do the punch-down step about halfway through the wait?

Thx,
Josh

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2009, 02:51:48 PM »
Peter or Jerry,

Would you still recommend I do the punch-down step about halfway through the wait?

Josh,

When I made my version of JerryMac's dough, I did not see any instructions on whether the dough was supposed to be punched down. The dough was pillowy and looked like it could take a punch down and rise again, so I punched it down. However, as you will see from Replies 124 and 125 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5851.msg74336.html#msg74336, JerryMac does not punch down the dough.

Peter

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2009, 03:43:23 PM »
Well if Jerry thought about different worlds before, this should qualify as a whole different universe. Inspired by Terry posting this link recently http://www.artisanbreadbaking.com/breads/poolish/poolish.htm I tried option 3, overnight. I started with just flour and water for 40 mins, true autolyse. Then I added the yeast and let it sit out for about 45 mins, then covered and in fridge overnight. It didn't have the bursting bubbles you get with the stand out for 5 hrs, but it certainly had expanded. I left it out for an hour, more bubbles, and proceeded with standard formula. Very different, dare I say an improvement? It was the first mac pie that had an actual rim crunch, usually more chewy. The bottom got a good char, with a nice firmness and thinness.
I'm liking this overnight pre-ferm thing, but I wonder if 45 mins is really long enough before slowing/stopping the process by chilling it. The flavor was really nice though, I see the point based on that alone. Here's a couple pics, I'm also entering a different shot  in this months contest.

Peace all, and happy Thanksgiving.  :D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2009, 04:02:43 PM »
Jim,

Which specific dough formulation did you use and can you tell us the composition of the poolish and the additional ingredients used in the final mix?

Peter

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2009, 05:29:36 PM »
Peter,

The formula was  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6515.msg83233.html#msg83233 as seen above, 15". The next part of your question is actually a story in and of itself. I had the old 12" formula sheet out, forgetting about the 15" factor. So it started with 123g's water and flour for autolyse. Then I added .50tsp IDY, all as if making the 12". After 45 minutes I remembered I want to make the 15", so I added the other 69gs of water and flour, and another .25tsp yeast. Then it went into the fridge after maybe 5 more minutes.

So total was 192g flour and water, and .75tsp IDY, just not all at once. Today I added the remaining 90gs of flour, just over 1/2 tsp yeast to come close to .53tsp, and the rest as according to said formula.

Your thoughts?

By the way on wetter doughs like this I'm loving the new mixer, much easier, plus the grinder and shredder/slicer are a blast! Note my new crumbled cooked sausage and finely sliced onion and peppers.  :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:36:36 PM by NY pizzastriver »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2009, 05:48:18 PM »
Jim,

Good job, including adapting the dough formulation to accommodate a combination of room-temperature and cold fermentation of the poolish. I especially wondered about the honey in light of your comment about getting more crunch on the rim. Honey is a highly hygroscopic material--more so than sugar--so it does become difficult to get a crispy and crunchy rim because the honey keeps more moisture in the dough.

Will we have to keep coming up with new ideas for you to try out to be sure that you stick around the forum :-D?

Peter

pizzapan