Author Topic: Deep Fried  (Read 4263 times)

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
Deep Fried
« on: January 28, 2005, 02:25:00 PM »
Has anybody ever deep fried their dough? This makes a great little appetizer while waiting for a hot pie to come out of the oven.
First take some extra dough that may be just laying around, (to small for a pie but to big to throw away), and roll it out very thin. Yes, I know I said roll out the dough, but it has to be very thin. Cut into 1" square pieces and drop into hot oil ~350 deg. Fry till golden brown ~3 min., turning half way through,  remove from oil, sprinkle fine sea salt over fried dough and serve with marinara sauce. Quite a tasty little pre pie treat.
JG

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Deep Fried
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 02:37:01 PM »
or, bring it out of the hot oil, let cool and "dry" for about minute and then sprinkle a combo of sugar and cinnamon on it,
that's amazing !!

Btw, up here in Canada, at a place I went to for Calzone, they deep fry theirs.... is this common practice in the United States ?

Yup they make the pizza, fold it over, crimp it closed, and then into the deepfryer they do their French fries in..... in it stays for about 3 minutes
and when it comes out - wow !!

btw, you can also take some of that dough you spoke of, and put an apple pie filling of apples, sugar and cinnamon ... put it inside and fold
it over on itself ( so it's a little pocket ) seal it well and the deep fry - this is also amazing !

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Gils

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 06:39:44 PM »
More of them are baked in my area. they just run them in the pizza oven.   The deep frying and pizza dough are very similar to Indian fry bread.   We also used to take our pizza cutter and slice the raw dough up into strips like bread sticks, deep fry them and sprinkle them with the cinnimon sugar combo CB referred to. A nice tasty way to use any leftover dough you might have.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 03:57:24 PM »
deep fried calzone is a panzaroti.

spelling may be incorrect. ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 12:06:25 AM »
a place around my house that closed unfortunately had the best desert ever.

they took their pizza dough, cut it into small balls, deep fried it.. covered it in powdered sugar and served them in a basket.

ahh man.

my mouth is watering.  :P

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 09:37:18 AM »
talking about "deep fried"

I was watching Emeril Live the other night on Food TV, .... he was making something fried, and for the first time that I saw,
he uses a beautiful built-in deep dryer that was build in and recessed into his huge counter .... or island he uses on the show... the fryer
was located way over to his left... at the end of his prep table....

boy I was loving that ! .... this thing looked sweet ! , here he was making some kind of fried something or other, and this stainless steel fryer
was going full tilt, and not taking up any space on his countertop.  Ah to have money ! ... when not in use, you cover it, and you wouldn't even know
it's there..... I've love to see under the prep table and see how they did that.... must be a $2,000 commercial unit I imagine.

Anyway a thing of beauty it was !

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 01:32:49 PM »
Mark,

I saw that same episode! I have to say, my thoughts were the same as yours, WOW! I WANT ONE OF THOSE.
Just to have half of the toys he works with would be awesome. I would have to quit my job just so I could play with all of the neat cooking equipment he has.

BTW, did you see the pre superbowl episode? I never new a log of bologna could look so tasty. Actually it may have been the same show, after a while they tend to all run together.

John