Author Topic: Supremo Italiano, Polly O, Saputo/Stella  (Read 6641 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Supremo Italiano, Polly O, Saputo/Stella
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:35:34 PM »
I ran across a restaurant distributor today with a warehouse.  This is nice because you can browse.  The cash and carry places generally make you tell them what you want.  They did not have any flour that interested me that I saw.  Just bromated bleached stuff.

For those in the area (I don't think there is actually anyone in Northern NJ on here other than me) it is Restaurant Depot in South Hackensack.  You will need a business certificate (can get one for free from State of NJ) to buy anything there.

These are the cheeses they have.  I really don't have any experience with any of them.  I picked up a loaf of the Supremo Italiano out of curiosity but haven't tried it yet.  The price was about the same as Saputo and a little bit lower than Polly O.  It seems to be something of a no name brand (nothing much on Google) I also picked up some cubed Bel Gioioso  sharp provolone.  Pretty yummy.    They also have pizza pans, screens, peels, etc of the American Metalcraft variety. 
Patrick

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Supremo Italiano, Polly O, Saputo/Stella
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:47:57 PM »
PC, I have been there, but they wouldn't sell to me.  I went there specifically to get the Supremo Italiano, so I am happy to see this thread.  I found out that it is the brand used at at a famous pizzeria that has good flavor to their cheese.  So let us know what you think!

Offline Shotgun682

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 09:59:38 PM »
PC, I have been there, but they wouldn't sell to me.  I went there specifically to get the Supremo Italiano, so I am happy to see this thread.  I found out that it is the brand used at at a famous pizzeria that has good flavor to their cheese.  So let us know what you think!

That is their own brand

I got a 6 pound can of DOP San Marzanos today @ Restaurant Depot for $5.59

They were GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 03:35:55 PM »
Using this old thread, just went to the Dallas R. Depot and picked up the Supremo Italiano shredded Mozz & prov mix. just one word..."MEH", melted well, no string, but no flavor. Did I just get a bad 5 lb bag or do I just need to mix my own?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 07:25:32 PM »
Agreed its Meeh, go for the extra buck or 2 and get the polly O or stella much better choice
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 08:36:11 PM »
Is the PollyO block the same cheese that they sell in all supermarkets in smaller packages?
I remember in the 70s PollyO was a good chesse but since they have been sold I am just wondering if they went downhill?.........JT

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 03:52:36 PM »
I just bought some and am happy with the Supremo Italiano.  I have some Poly O to try next.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 04:26:08 PM »

For those in the area (I don't think there is actually anyone in Northern NJ on here other than me)
Better look again.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 07:18:52 PM »
 ^^^

Mary Ann