Author Topic: Count Crustulus Hits the Big Screen (w/ pics, of course)  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Count Crustulus

Count Crustulus Hits the Big Screen (w/ pics, of course)
« on: April 08, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »
Greetings!

Recently I bought a 16 in" pizza screen from a Philly restaurant supply store. I then got great advice from this site about baking on screens and tonight cooked my first pie on my new purchase. Amazing! The best part is ease of handling and the guarantee of a great shape. That being said, while delicious, I'm going to finish the pie on my stone next time around for a crisper crust.

If your curious, the pie is the Lehmann's NY style recipe. Toppings are: half goat cheese/mozzarella (polly-o)/arugula/oil cured black olives and half soprassetta/mozzarella. I coooked it in the middle of the oven at 500 degrees. Couldn't have been in for longer than 8-9 mins.

Best Wishes and Happy Eating,
Count Crustulus

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Count Crustulus Hits the Big Screen (w/ pics, of course)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 08:17:15 PM »
Hey there Count Crustulus !

That pizza looks really great ! , congrats on such a success !

Thanks for sharing your first photos with all of us here !  :chef:

for those that have never tried a pizza screen before, here's a tidbit of info,,
One thing that is great about those pizza screens is they actually help a tiny bit with dough that wants to shrink a bit.
The little notches on the screen almost act like hooks and kind of grab at the dough.  However don't ever use a pizza screen
as a crutch if you are having problems with shrinkage ( oh no, I'm thinking of that famous Seinfeld episode LOL )

And never go pushing your dough onto the screen, because once it bakes, you will have a bit of a mess on your hands
when you try to get it off the screen.

CB.

Greetings!

Recently I bought a 16 in" pizza screen from a Philly restaurant supply store. I then got great advice from this site about baking on screens and tonight cooked my first pie on my new purchase. Amazing! The best part is ease of handling and the guarantee of a great shape. That being said, while delicious, I'm going to finish the pie on my stone next time around for a crisper crust.

If your curious, the pie is the Lehmann's NY style recipe. Toppings are: half goat cheese/mozzarella (polly-o)/arugula/oil cured black olives and half soprassetta/mozzarella. I coooked it in the middle of the oven at 500 degrees. Couldn't have been in for longer than 8-9 mins.

Best Wishes and Happy Eating,
Count Crustulus
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

pizzapan