Author Topic: NYC pizza?  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Bluesology

• Blind Dog Pizza
NYC pizza?
« on: April 08, 2008, 08:08:59 PM »
I'm spending a few days in Manhattan in June to see some Yankees games.  Any reccomendations for a lunch stop?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: NYC pizza?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:19:33 PM »
There are so many good ones, including the chance street slice, but on my next visit this would probably be my order for Manhattan.  Warning: PFT just had a bad luzzos experience

Luzzo's
Isabellas oven  (these first two are sort of interchangeable)
UPN (if you can count 5:00 as lunch :)
Totonnos
Patsys (uptown harlem only!)
John's

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 11:20:57 PM »
Just realized that if you are going to Yankees games you could probably hit brooklyn for pizzas.  Franny's is killer and it's not too far from NYC.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 11:41:03 PM »
Bronx.
Zero Otto Nove.
Though a relaiable source has said that it has gone down somewhat due to the change of pizzaiolo.Previously I was told that it was the best Neapolitan in New York.

I've yet to try it?
David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 12:43:54 AM »
Bronx.
Zero Otto Nove.
Though a relaiable source has said that it has gone down somewhat due to the change of pizzaiolo.Previously I was told that it was the best Neapolitan in New York.

I've yet to try it?
David

David, I don't want to say any names, but I talked to a most respected member of our forum (who owns my favorite neapolitan pizzeria in the US) and the word was not good.  Just wanted to throw that out there.  Still, the pizzas look great and I would love to hear your opinion if you ever try it.

Offline ilpizzaiolo

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 09:18:20 AM »
here is a picture of the margherita at 089 that claimed to use mozzarella di bufala and did not. maybe that had an off day on the dough, and the oven temp was too low, but the cheese thing is inexcusable.....

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 12:02:18 PM »
ouch

Offline David

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 07:26:49 AM »
I drove into Manhattan last night with the intention again of hitting 089,but due to various reasons I didn't have time to get up there and decided to give Luzzos another try.The place was busy for a Wednesday in July and unfortunately the Pizza was exactly as PFT had described it elsewhere,with the exception of the sauce.I actually prefer a natural acidic sauce,but for some reason this seemed a little sweet to me?We split three pizzas.One was burnt on the bottom.One was O.K on the bottom and raw on top and the other was barely O.K.None had any blistering char. None arrived steaming hot.The cheese was hard and sat like golf balls in a sandbank.The only saving grace IMO was that the Olives,Rucola ,Prosciutto and Artichokes were good.The crust was totally lacking in flavor and reminded me more of All Trumps than anthing Neapolitan.I had previously enjoyed this place,last night was very,very disappointing.Interestingly they prominently post the Jeff Varsano 'Ratings List' from his web page in the front window (which actually gives the initial impression it is a 'Slice' website rating). With all due respect to Jeff I think he needs to re calibrate his taste buds and update his ratings.I trust he wrote this before actually visiting Naples and getting a better understanding of what Neapolitan actually is,because IMO the positioning of Naples 45,Amano,UPN and Luzzos makes little sense (allowing for the grading curve and ranking on crust flavor ? ) I've tried three of his top four rated places and would probably only return to UPN to see if the Acunto oven has made much of a difference.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 08:31:53 AM »
The cheese was hard and sat like golf balls in a sandbank.

This sentence needs to be nominated for the annual "pizzamaking.com Best Writing Award".

Bill/SFNM

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 02:58:06 PM »
go back to UPN, but bring a big wallet.  He has upped his prices again. 

Offline David

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 03:21:48 PM »
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Photo.aspx?RefID=4198&PhotoID=8472

This blog shows how my pizza was the last couple of times I ate there.The authors seem to love it,but it was not for me.As you say though,maybe the new oven has made a difference?How much is it for a pizza now Scott?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »
Its now $23 for a plain pizza.  All of the pizzas coming out of the oven (I saw about 10 or 15) were cooked perfectly.  The new oven has fixed the over baking problem that he has had in the past, and the dough was perfectly ripened this time.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:06:27 PM by scott r »

Offline CCinNJ

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 12:23:06 PM »
It's a trip from Manhattan, but Denino's on Staten Island has great pizza. They also have the Staten Island Yankees!!!

Offline kmancpbh

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 08:40:09 AM »
The new oven at UPN is producing phenominal pizza. I would argue the best margherita I have ever had, by a good margin.

DeNino's in Staten Island rocks! Go SI Yankees! ;D

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 05:17:02 PM »
I'm with you.  I ate at Modern in New Haven, Patsy's in Harlem, and Luzzos yesterday.  All were no where near the quality of UPN with the new oven. 

Offline beaunehead

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 03:56:45 PM »
I think, scott, your statment about UPN is a matter of preference.

It's pies are in a style "unto themselves" , at least in NY. A pure, Neapolitan pizza done with the low-gluten flour, authentic tomatoes and cheese, etc.

It is very different from the New Haven places, and Patsy's. "Quality" is also hard to evaluate in this context.

They are all high "quality" places that have great intentions.
Stuart

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 04:46:18 PM »
Beaunehead, I actually chose my words carefully on this post.  I certainly wouldn't blindly claim that one style of pizza is any better than another.  I actually rotate between a number of different styles of pizza that I bake at home including Neapolitan, New Haven, NY coal oven, NY street style, and Chicago thin crust.  I think they all have the ability to be a perfect 10 in quality.  I was in no way showing a preference for any style, as I really do love them all equally.

Now after re reading my comment, I do agree that I should have elaborated on what I meant, but I was working when I saw the thread and just wanted to shoot out a quick post.  There were actually major defects with all of the pizzas I had, and my last few UPN pizzas have not had any defects.  Here is what I found:

Patsy's was using an extremely over fermented dough.  There was very little residual sugar left in the dough because of the long ferment, so the crust was actually very pale and lacked the oven spring that one would usually find in a pizza baked at those temperatures.  If a dough is left to ferment too long the gluten mesh breaks down and the crust is adversely effected because the mesh can not trap the gas bubbles produced by the yeast.

I understand that with the extra long bake times used in New Haven style pizzas you get tons of flavor from char, but there is a trade off when it comes to the texture of the final product.  I always expect a somewhat tough pizza when compared to just about any other style, but the pizza I had at Modern was MUCH tougher than a typical New Haven style pizza.  The dough had obviously been over mixed producing such a sturdy crust that my jaw actually hurt by the time I was done with my pizza.

The pizza I had at Luzzo's on this visit was very soupy, floppy, and much too thin in spots.  With any Neapolitan style pizza it is very important to form a dough skin that is very uniform in thickness because the dough is on the thin side to begin with.  There were a number of spots on the pizza where the sauce soaked right through the bottom and produced sink holes in the pie.  When we picked up our slices to eat everything fell out of the sink holes and on to the plate.  It was virtually impossible to eat with your hands, necessitating a knife and fork to eat the pizza.  On top of that the buffalo mozzarella was not drained properly, and that combined with a very wet sauce made for an unpleasant Neapolitan experience!

Offline beaunehead

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »
 "I always expect a somewhat tough pizza when compared to just about any other style, but the pizza I had at Modern was MUCH tougher than a typical New Haven style pizza.  The dough had obviously been over mixed producing such a sturdy crust that my jaw actually hurt by the time I was done with my pizza. "

This is my big complaint...and turnoff with Pepe's....my jaw always hurts and I get bored and tired of chewing.....not a plus , at all. I think Modern is generally the most like NY pizza....though that's not saying a lot. I like Modern, though...not the others.
Stuart

pizzapan