Author Topic: Stella cheese having fine crumb. Is this normal?  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
Stella cheese having fine crumb. Is this normal?
« on: December 22, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »
Hello,

I had to switch over to Stella 50/50 Moz/Prov cheese due to my local restaurant depot no longer will carry the Supremo Italiano 50/50 that I normally use. But the Stella cheese had a lot of crumb in it. Almost like fine grated cheese. I only purchased four, 5lb. bags just to try it.

I normally use 7.0 oz. of cheese for a 14" pie. But I used 7.5 oz. because it looked light. I'll find out the results tonight when I bake a couple pies.

You comments are appreciated.

Seasons Greetings,
Tim

Throw me a slice, won't ya

Offline Kemosa

Re: Stella cheese having fine crumb. Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 05:18:25 PM »
Stella...Is that the cheese sold from Sam's Club or Costco?   I think you a referring to the "filler" ingredients as the crumb you are detecting?  Some cheese co's add a bit of filler to add the weight volume. 

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 10:05:02 AM »
I suppose it could be the same. I purchased it from the local restaurant depot. And I see what you mean by filler.
They discontinued stocking supremo italiano 50/50. So this was the alternative. Bummer!

Offline Kemosa

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 10:30:08 AM »
Not familiar with your regular cheese.  Those without filler that I know of are Grande and Polly O.  I'm a big Grande supporter and fortunately I can get for 2.80 a lb.  Give it a try if you can get it.   50/50 whole milk/skim milk is excellent if you like a little more saltier and somewhat oily taste.  Polly O seems to be more buttery and less salty to me.

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 11:18:15 AM »
I haven't found Grande in Milwaukee yet. But I've tasted it at the Napic show in Ohio. I like it. The Supremo that I used didn't have any filler. Just nice long slivers of cheese. It tasted good on my pies. And it puddled well.

So now I have the guest to find "Grande".

Happy Holidays Everyone

Tim

Offline Deacon Volker

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 12:18:40 PM »
I've been using the Stella mix from SAMS for several months, mostly because it seems to be decent product and the price is right for my home "experimenting".  The "crumb" that I have noticed seems to be not of a filler but just the cheese shreds that are ground up in the bottom of the bags. I always just figured the bags had gotten frozen at some point and that helped lead to this issue as I've noticed this same "problem" in bags I have portioned and frozen in the past.

This past week I paid close attention as I picked through the bags in the cooler, some appeared to have this issue, others did not...leading me to think it's a storage and handling issue at SAMS at least in my case.

btw...I've used this "dust" on my pies with no problem in taste or function so I don't think it's stictly a filler that is falling out.

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 12:42:13 PM »
Thank you for your reply Deacon. It definitely is a dusting.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 07:31:37 AM »
I agree, it's a breakdown of the pre-shredded cheese, not filler. The pre-shedded starts to dry out a bit and thru handling, pieces start to break up. I get the 5# chunks of Stella from Sam's and shred or dice myself, I find it's a better quality that way and holds up to freezing 'much' better. Shredded doesn't do as well freezing and thawing or freezing for longer periods. All and all, Stelle's a very good cheese, but like any cheese, whole chunks are always better than pre-shredded, but in high volume operations the pre-done stuff is more convenient.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline MSLLEL

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »
Which Retaurant Depot discontinued the 50/50 Supremo Italiano?

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »

The restaurant depot on 6th street near the Milwaukee airport.