Author Topic: Cast Iron Skillet Thoughts  (Read 4305 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Cast Iron Skillet Thoughts
« on: February 25, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »
I've been holding onto a can of San Marzano's for much longer than I've wanted to but I couldn't come up with a good occasion to break these out.  Well, Friday night was the night.  I was a lonely man with wife and daughter out of town.  Pizza seemed like the thing to do.  I couldn't make a 14" as one can of tomatoes wouldn't do the job.  This was a great opportunity to bust out my wife's late, great grandmother's cast iron skillet.  It's like, I don't know, a thousand years old, and seasoned wonderfully.  OK, maybe it's 75 years old or so.  I made my Malnati's clone for a same day bake.  Everything seemed good.  It's a 10" skillet at the bottom sloping up 2" to a top diameter of 11 1/2".  I used the DD dough tool here to come up with my dough amount.  I used some Crisco on the bottom of the pan and patted it out and up the sides pinching it pretty thin on the sides.  8 oz. of mozz slices and some pepperoni then the San Marzano's with a half clove of garlic made into a paste as well as salt and pepper to season.  Into the oven at 500* and the exposed crust got pretty brown, pretty quickly.  I pulled it from the oven a little quicker than I would've liked as I didn't want to burn that crust; only about 15 minutes in the oven is all it got.  I wasn't worried about cooking sausage all the way through so that may have had some impact on my decision to pull it out but it looked good so lets see what we have.  We have a soft bottom.  A problem with my physique and now my pizza.  :(  I'm just thinking that this thing (the skillet) is so big and heavy that the time it takes to get to temperature is longer than the aluminum hard coat that I usually use and the results were less than great.  I was able to get it out of the pan without destroying it or any real problems in that regard but what was otherwise the best pie I've ever made (that sauce was simple but excellent) was ruined by me trying to be nostalgic.  :'(  Oh, well.  Next night I punished the pan by frying some burgers in it and using a KC Masterpiece seasoning that needed to be scraped off afterward.  That'll teach it!

Loo
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:19:46 AM by loowaters »
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline drroger

Re: Cast Iron Skillet Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »
Don't give up on the cast iron skillet. I have been doing my Chicago style mostly in my cast iron skillet with great success.  My skillet is a 12 inch Lodge. I had been doing it on my pizza stone and at 450. The bottom comes out crispy and just right. I think the stone helps the pan heat up faster than if I just put it on a rack, letting direct conduction be my friend.

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 05:34:53 PM »
I too have made deep dish in my Lodge 12" cast iron skillet and the pizza comes out great every time at 450 degrees.

Offline Avumede

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 12:05:43 PM »
I use a cast iron skillet too.  I use a 12" one for one massive stuffed pie, and also use a 6" skillet for a little baby stuffed pizza for my kids.  At around 450 it works well (it sounds like the original poster's heat was too high) and I bake for around 30-40 minutes.  My only issue with is that the sides are not quite as high as I would like.

Offline pizzaisgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 06:39:13 PM »
Some of my best pizza's are made in cast iron pans. I want to get a 16" cast iron pan so that I can use it to make full sized pizza's.

pizzapan