Author Topic: The Tassajara Bread Book  (Read 2631 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
The Tassajara Bread Book
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:33:48 PM »
Forward (excerpt)
"A recipe doesn't belong to anyone.  Given to me, I give it to you.  Only a guide, only a skeletal framework."

Description
The following is the Basic Tassajara Yeasted Bread Recipe No. 1 converted to bakers percentages (based on King Arthur flour).  Wherever there was a range given, I used an average value.  If you are interested in the procedures, please read the book as they are quite extensive.  Anyone familiar with breadmaking shouldn't need them.  The main advantage to having the book is to see the illustrations given for various folding, rolling, cutting, and braiding techniques.  It is a highly desired and recommended book in the world of breadmaking.  It has been around in numerous editions since 1970.

Sponge
45.76%whole wheat flour
67.71%water (85 - 105F)
12.21%dry milk (optional)
8.085%honey
0.6678%active dry yeast

Dough
sponge
54.24%whole wheat flour
1.908%salt
5.186%oil

Notes
As one might expect, the amount of flour was given in a very large range.  By going with the average amount of flour, the hydration came out to a very reasonable, and probably author-intended number.  While the dry milk is listed as optional, some may find adjusting the hydration necessary to accommodate an easier handling of the dough if omitted.  Molasses and brown sugar were also listed as possible sweeteners, but I chose honey for the conversion as it is the most commonly used of the three in whole wheat breads.

Source
http://www.amazon.com/dp/157062089X/?tag=pizzamaking-20

pizzapan