Author Topic: Una Pizza Napoletana Videos  (Read 6050 times)

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
Una Pizza Napoletana Videos
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:47:20 PM »
Anthony Mangieri expresses his passion for pizza.
http://www.chow.com/stories/11065

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Una Pizza Napoletana Videos
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:08:45 AM »
Anthony Mangieri expresses his passion for pizza.
http://www.chow.com/stories/11065

Very enjoyable. Anyone know what the source of the oven is he is now using (he says he has been through 5!).

Bill/SFNM

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:39:03 AM »
Wow!  Very, very good comments and info. :D

Some strong commentary about the New York pizzarias.  I am curious for those folks on this forum who have tasted a few varieties of NYC pizza in recent years to add their comments to Anthony Mangieri's.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline KoolDO

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:13:31 AM »
Very enjoyable. Anyone know what the source of the oven is he is now using (he says he has been through 5!)

From the last time I was there which was last month I believe it was an Acunto.  You can tell beacuse of the not only the name on the door but also because Acunto's ovens are have a more distinctive look from the other Neapolitan ovens.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:41:19 AM »
The best part was that excellent pizza makers from Naples would never come to the US and work for $10/hour.

However to say that all NYC pizza is crap is a bit elitist.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 11:01:08 AM by ebpizza »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 11:15:16 AM »
Very enjoyable. Anyone know what the source of the oven is he is now using (he says he has been through 5!).

Bill/SFNM

I have just seen the pictures of UPN: He obviously went for a cheaper alternative. I am sure it will do a much better job then his old oven but is a shame he did not go for the top.
Not one from Pizzanapoletana or the guys who built Spaccanapolis presumably?The shape and fact that it came pre assembled does point to Gianni Acunto IMO.If you look at the videos on youtube you'll find the Pizzaiolo (Carmine?) making some beatitiful Pizza using an Acunto oven at Settebello.He is a humble guy and makes a beautiful looking product IMO.
Regards
David
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:01:55 PM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline shango

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 11:18:06 AM »
I have so much respect for this guy.  He has so much passion and integrity regarding his pizze.

laughing at the made with love and a little bit of anger comment.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:36:55 PM »
I am seriously considering making the three hour drive from upstate NY this weekend. In the opinion of those who have been, is it worth the drive? Also keep in mind I drove to Phoenix last year so this is a afternoon drive for me. :-D
Una Pizza Napoletana as been on my must go list but these videos pushed me over the edge.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 12:52:29 PM »
Any Neapolitan is worth a three hour drive to check it out (at least once anyway !) ;)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline KoolDO

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 02:03:04 PM »
David, I didnt mean that the fact that it was mobile is what made it distinctive.  What I meant was that it is a distinctive mobile oven the way Gianni Acunto makes it.  Check out his website.  I also know from another forum member who spoke to Acunto personally that Anthony's oven is indeed an Acunto oven.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 02:18:52 PM »
I am seriously considering making the three hour drive from upstate NY this weekend. In the opinion of those who have been, is it worth the drive? Also keep in mind I drove to Phoenix last year so this is a afternoon drive for me. :-D
Una Pizza Napoletana as been on my must go list but these videos pushed me over the edge.

I have been eating at UPN for a number of years, and I can say that his pizzas can be hit or miss (just like 99% of the pizzerias in the US).  Because of his high prices I think people tend to come down harder on Anthony when he has an off night, and I am sure I am to blame there as well.  Having said all this, I had an absolutely astounding pizza there less than a month before he installed his new oven. It was on par with my #1 favorite pizza in the US which is at Il Pizzaiolo in Pittsburgh.  I am sure with the new oven things are more consistent, and probably better overall. 

When he has a bad night, UPN's downfall is usually that the pizza is cooked too long and ends up tough.  Hopefully that isn't happening any more, but even if it does you will have a chance to experience one of only three or so pizzerias in the US that are using wild yeast.  Combine that with the imported ingredients, and I can't imagine you are not going to be happy that you made the drive.

I hope you go and take pictures!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 03:47:43 AM by scott r »

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 02:31:18 PM »
Scott r,
 Your timing cannot have been more perfect.  :-D My wife has a few days off and we were just discussing what to do in the next few days. One being visiting Una Pizza Napoletana, and the other visiting her mother in Mt.Pleasant, PA; which is right outside of Pittsburgh and gives me a good opportunity to visit  Il Pizzaiolo for the first time. Whichever we pick I'll be sure to report back.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 03:06:50 PM »
Making pizza on the floor of the fireplace in the living room?   :-D   :chef:   8) 

This guy is a true pizza devotee!  Wish I could make the trip to NYC!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 03:49:58 AM »
Oh man, what a combination.  Well, make sure you save a little room to try a pizza at luzzo's right around the corner.  It shouldn't be too hard because UPN's pies are pretty small.   Also, make sure you get some pasta's when you are visiting Il Pizzaiolo as well.  Rons pasta is as  good as his pizza.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 04:49:15 PM »
Very true about the neapolitan pizzaiolo not coming to US for $10 an hour... Now as 100 years ago...

However, I know for a fact that the oven he really wanted was another one. Obviously the one he has now is 100% better then the one he had before.

Interesting video, interesting....

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 02:29:22 PM »
I had the pleasure of trying Anthony's pizza made in the new oven.  I can now say that his pizza is definitely much better than it has ever been.  In the past there have been a number of things that made his pizza different than a standard neapolitan.

1, his crust could be tough
2. the crust could be overcooked
3, he tended to use too much olive oil
4, he tended to over proof his dough a bit giving the pizza too much of a sour flavor.
5, the pizza was in the oven for 2 or more minutes (facilitating numbers 1 and 2).

I can definitely say that all of these factors have been corrected, and I think he produced what even Marco would consider to be a very authentic product.  From what I can remember it was exactly like what I had at my favorite spot in naples, warts and all.  I personally think most neapolitan pizza uses too thin of a sauce (not Il Pizzaiolo, though!), and tend to have a bit too soft of a texture throughout (I like that inside, but want a tiny bit of crisp on the outer shell). 

Now I think that UPN and Il Pizzaiolo are at a tie for the best two neapolitan style pizzerias in the US.  Where UPN gets a down grade for the (too thin by my standards yet authentic) sauce, he makes up for it by using wild yeast to leaven his dough.  I highly recommend that any pizza enthusiast try either UPN or Il Pizzaiolo  to sample what I feel is the same quality pizza that is made in Naples Italy. The bonus at Il Pizzaiolo is that the pizza is less than half the price of UPN!

pizzapan