Author Topic: Bread Builders  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Bluesology

• Blind Dog Pizza
Bread Builders
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:44:37 AM »
I was curious if anyone has read The Bread Builders by Daniel Wing and Alan Scott?  I tried to tackle the book four or five years ago when I was doing more hearth baking than pizza.  I was thinking of picking it up again and was curious how much of the information of the book would translate over into making pizza dough.  Any thoughts from anyone who has read it before?

Chad

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Bread Builders
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:53:39 AM »
Yes, I have the book and read it some time ago. Good guide for building ovens from scratch suitable for bread baking and moderate-temp pizzas. If you're crazy about high-temp Neapolitan-style pies, this book may be of limited use.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 03:44:31 AM »
I read it a few years ago and if I remember there was a good deal of information on wild yeast and mixing that would help out with your pizza.  Lot's of great info on different flours and baking theory in general.  I definitely learned something, and at the time I was mostly baking pizza, not breads.  I would go for it.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 11:39:55 PM »
I built my whole oven from just this book.  They cover everything down to the smallest detail.... with the exception of the chimney...

I even would call Alan Scott upon occasion... and he'd answer me with creative, intelligent and patient answers...

I love this book.  It got me started on my pizza oven.

you can see the oven by searching Frankie g's pizza oven project.  I have step by step pictures...