Author Topic: Di Fara/ Domenico De Marco article  (Read 1988 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Di Fara/ Domenico De Marco article
« on: April 24, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »
Here's a link to an interesting article about Domenico De Marco, pizzaiolo at Di Fara's. It was in the local, paper but it is an AP article so perhaps its been seen by others and posted.

http://www.courant.com/features/food/hc-foodpizza.artapr24,0,705139.story

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: Di Fara/ Domenico De Marco article
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:53 PM »
I have never been here still. They say 800 F is it 800 or 700? Sounds like a really old oven from when he opened shop back in the 60s.  Maybe they were different back then?
Patrick

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Di Fara/ Domenico De Marco article
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 01:26:25 AM »
Most definitely not 800.  Hot for a gas oven for sure, but not that high.  I haven't timed a pie coming out of Dom's oven (the only real way to judge heat in my opinion), but I would guess its running somewhere around 650 degrees. 100 degrees doesn't seem like much, but I have always found that the end product is really quite different in a 550 vs a 650 degree oven. The blend of cheeses he uses really lets him leave the pies in there for a long time, and that well baked look makes people think he has a hotter oven than he does.

I was very lucky to work in brooklyn for a few months this summer, and even with Dom's very quickly fermented dough some of the visits to Difaras were really special.  I could sure go for a slice now!