Author Topic: par baking pizza  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Bluesology

• Blind Dog Pizza
par baking pizza
« on: May 02, 2008, 04:32:49 PM »
I may be catering a party coming up and will not be able to attend it myself.  I'm thinking about parbaking the pizzas and handing them off to the group to finish off themselves.  Is this practical or would it be better to just cook the pizzas all the way and let them just reheat them? 

Does anyone have any advice for par-baking a pizza, in terms of how long the initial bake would be, the best way to store it and then baking it the rest of the way.  I would imagine we would be talking about standard fare thin crust pizzas here.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Chad

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: par baking pizza
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 05:46:42 PM »
Chad,

You perhaps can go either way. However, if you decide not to par-bake the crusts for later use, you will have to come up with the logistics of how you will deliver several pizzas, either fully baked or partially baked for later completion. For example, some "slice" pizza places underbake their pizzas (e.g., they bake the pizzas to about 70-90% completion) and then preheat the slices on demand. Added cheese and toppings can be added at that point. Some slice places bake only cheese pizzas and dress them to completion later, although the number of toppings will be limited (otherwise, the cheese may burn before the toppings are cooked). Prebaked pizzas don't hold up for too long, so if you are talking about a large number of pizzas to be delivered to the customer at one time they will have to be made and delivered quickly. If you are a commercial operator, you may also have to abide by the rules of local health departments that relate to holding times, temperatures, etc.

Par-baking crusts is a common approach used in circumstances such as you described. I once researched the subject and took a stab at making a few par-baked crusts. I described one such experiment at Reply 129 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg10061.html#msg10061. Since par-baked crusts are baked twice, they will tend to be dryer than crusts baked only once. But most people are not likely to notice. Although it may be possible to par-bake crusts, dress them right away and finish baking them later, that is usually not the preferred approach, especially if a lot of toppings are used and the pizzas are allowed to sit around for too long. Most operators just make the crusts and finish dressing and baking them later to order.

Peter

pizzapan