Author Topic: Hells Kitchen pizza making episode  (Read 2876 times)

Offline KoolDO

Hells Kitchen pizza making episode
« on: April 29, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »
Is any one else watching this episode where they "invent" there own $200 "gourmet" pizza?  They don't even make the dough or the sauce only put toppings on the pizza, lol! what a joke

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Hells Kitchen pizza making episode
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 09:52:39 PM »
I'm watching it right now.  They do make the dough, but you only see about 1 second of mixer mixing the dough, when the men's team loses and have to get the ingredients ready for the pizzas the next night.

However, yes, I agree.

The $200 pizza was because they put some paper thin slices of white truffle on the pizza. 

Sorry, but 1 expensive topping on a pizza, does not make it an amazing pizza, so yes I agree with ya.

For me, a pizza is a combination of good crust, good sauce, good cheese, and good toppings.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline KoolDO

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:07:20 PM »
They do make the dough, but you only see about 1 second of mixer mixing the dough, when the men's team loses and have to get the ingredients ready for the pizzas the next night.

I noticed that as well, but I'm not sure if they had actually made the dough for the challenge.  If they did I wonder if they were given specific orders to follow a particular dough recipe or if they were allowed to create their own dough formulation.

What are white truffles and those other truffles they ate at that $90 burger restaurant and why are they so expensive?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:08:53 PM by KoolDO »

Offline zalicious

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:20:02 PM »
I watched it too. I've never watched that show before, and only did tonight because they were "making" pizza. Won't waste my time watching it again :P. Time is much better spent reading the threads here or making my own mess in the kitchen  ;D.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 06:38:02 AM »
I noticed that as well, but I'm not sure if they had actually made the dough for the challenge.  If they did I wonder if they were given specific orders to follow a particular dough recipe or if they were allowed to create their own dough formulation.

What are white truffles and those other truffles they ate at that $90 burger restaurant and why are they so expensive?

Here you go. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuber_%28genus%29

It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »
I watch this show every week this season (have not seen previous seasons yet...Netflix, here I come!) and while the food is important from the standpoint of perfection in what they do, it's not the highlight of the show.  No recipes here!  What takes front and center here is Chef Ramsey and his interaction with the contestant chefs.

Actually, I thought the dough was made from scratch because, if memory serves me, the young woman whose pizza won remarked that it had an herbed crust, which the others didn't. 

I have never had the pleasure of trying real truffles, but wondered at Chef Ramsey's $200 pizza because I always thought that truffles, being very pungent, were supposed to be used sparingly.  It appeared to me that the pizza was piled high with truffles, possibly over some greens, but nonetheless, it was still overkill.  But, I'm not a famous Chef, so what do I know?   :-D   >:D 

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 02:21:25 PM »
I watch this show every week this season (have not seen previous seasons yet...Netflix, here I come!) and while the food is important from the standpoint of perfection in what they do, it's not the highlight of the show.  No recipes here!  What takes front and center here is Chef Ramsey and his interaction with the contestant chefs.

Actually, I thought the dough was made from scratch because, if memory serves me, the young woman whose pizza won remarked that it had an herbed crust, which the others didn't. 

I have never had the pleasure of trying real truffles, but wondered at Chef Ramsey's $200 pizza because I always thought that truffles, being very pungent, were supposed to be used sparingly.  It appeared to me that the pizza was piled high with truffles, possibly over some greens, but nonetheless, it was still overkill.  But, I'm not a famous Chef, so what do I know?   :-D   >:D 

~sd
I'm willing to bet the truffle overkill was for the sake of the camera.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 07:45:27 PM »
The "herbed crust" if you watch it again was her sprinkling herbs over the pre-made dough.  The blue team did make up dough after the fact as part of their punishment though, but the competition dough was pre-made.

What I don't understand is how that girl won with basically a sun-dried tomato and prosciutto pizza.  Get real... and where was the "little bit of france"??  Sun-dried tomatoes, prosciutto, basil, and balsamic glaze?  Sounds pretty italian to me... Not sure what is french about any of that... and how does that win against the blue team's creation... Ramsey is just out to get Ben.  Every time they show Ramsey interacting with the contestants at a reward dinner, he is always a completely different guy, very nice and has never said anything about contestants behind their backs... yet on this episode he even said some more crap about the Ben guy and the dirt on the mushrooms... What's even funnier is that Ramsey's people are the ones that prepped the ingredients in the first place... so if there was dirt on mushrooms he should blame them.  He has it in for him!  :-)

Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 07:50:43 PM »
oK guys, I have to come clean.

I do watch the show, and it's my second season watching.  I just watch it to see
how many times Chef Ramsay can say the the "F" word.

There... I said it  :P

I do like the show, and don't really care what they make, it's just good mindless TV,
as is most everything on the tube today.

What I really appreciate is how nice the dishes they make always look, everything always looks
so darn yummy.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 10:43:17 AM »
Ramsey is just out to get Ben.  Every time they show Ramsey interacting with the contestants at a reward dinner, he is always a completely different guy, very nice and has never said anything about contestants behind their backs... yet on this episode he even said some more crap about the Ben guy and the dirt on the mushrooms... What's even funnier is that Ramsey's people are the ones that prepped the ingredients in the first place... so if there was dirt on mushrooms he should blame them.  He has it in for him!  :-)

abatardi, This might be your clue that Ben will be your eventual winner. You got to have drama.  ;D
Davydd

Offline bolabola

• extra crispy please
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 07:18:06 PM »
White truffles are amazing and as far as I'm concerned you can never have enuff..
I can buy them at the Ferry building in SF at a much better price then what you pay for at a restaurant..
I had some on my risotto at the French Laundry for my wife and I and they tagged on an extra $120 on my bill..I can't afford them anymore until business pics up..
$200 is insane for a pizza..you do not cook truffles but just shave them over what you are eating and for 200 bucks I'd be expecting alot..
I did watch that episode of Hell's Kitchen >:D and the pizza did not impress me..what impressed me was the amazing array of foods with which they had to work with..I could of come up with something much more creative..these wannabe chefs are an embarassment to the profession..some can't even cut a chicken let alone get an order out in a timely fashion.. :'(
Pizza Rocks

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 08:26:34 PM »
aba, your eyes are better than mine... and sprinkling herbs on a crust does not an "herbed crust" make!  It's no different than sprinkling herbs on top of the pizza after it cooks!  As for the mushrooms, didn't Chef Ramsey ask who prepped them and Ben raised his hand?  Of course, the set up could be that Ramsey actually didn't taste any "dirt" but KNEW that Ben had prepped them, ergo....

davydd, you're right... it's all about the drama... and Chef Ramsey will do what he feels like doing at the moment.  It all seems to be based on his opinion, with the exception of whether the tickets are fullfilled or not... and even that he has some control over when he sends dishes back before service.  I will be interested to watch prior seasons.

bolabola, what I don't get is how these people who supposedly all have food service backgrounds are so useless in the kitchen!  They don't communicate with each other (with the exception of "behind you!" which I learned as a waitress in 1966!)  The idiots who couldn't cut up a chicken, even after the Chef showed them how he wanted it done, fits the point exactly!  But, unless I missed something, they don't get to be creative do they?  Don't they have to "create" the dishes that are on the menu that is given to them?  Or am I confusing this show with "Top Chef"?   Or Iron Chef... or, the Next Foodnetwork Star... or....  ??   :-D

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!