Author Topic: Im visiting Chicago... where do i go to get the best pizza?  (Read 2498 times)

Offline sssmasi

Im visiting Chicago... where do i go to get the best pizza?
« on: April 28, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »
So... I really... and i mean REALLY enjoy pizza. I have however, never tried a real Chicago style pizza. If you guys could let me know a few spots to try out in the city it would be great.

thanks

jon

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Im visiting Chicago... where do i go to get the best pizza?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 09:24:08 PM »
Don't know much about "real Chicago-style", but two non-Chicago-style places that are highly regarded are Spacca Napoli and Coal Fire.

Offline Bluesology

• Blind Dog Pizza
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:41:30 PM »
Whenever I'm in Chicago, I usually try and hit either Gino's East or Uno's.  Giordano's also gets rave reviews although I haven't been there myself. 

Edwardo's is a good choice if you don't want to go into the city - they have some locations in the north suburbs.

Chad

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:01:31 AM »
Spacca Napoli is a lot of fun because it makes a real attempt at being an authentic Neapolitan pizzeria. The owner is very friendly and  trained with Enzo Coccio in Naples. I believe he brought artisans over from Italy to construct his oven on site. I think he has one or two people from Naples working at the restaurant, which is a nice and bright space.

The restaurant is about a 20 minute cab ride from downtown.

The one time I was there, I had the classic Margherita, with Mozzarella di Bufala. Like others who have commented, my pizza was a bit soggy, as the cheese was not drained before being applied. Very tasty, though, and my friends all loved their pizzas.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »
Jon,

I suggest checking out this website and looking at the reviews

http://www.chicagopizzaclub.com/

I've been to Chicago many times, and even lived there as a kid for a short time, but the Chicago Pizza Club is on-site, 24-7, and give some good, plain comments about what they like and don't like about various pizzas from around the windy city.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 10:07:37 AM »
I'll just say a few that I have been at that are great places to munch and drink... Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co., Gino's East, Lou Malnati's, Vito and Nick's, Uno's, Giordano's and Aurelio's. I would say that these are the places to start out at just to get the feel for Chicago Style Pizzas. Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. is a real change of pace for pizza. I would recommend going there just because of their Pizza Pot Pie!! It's totally off the wall!!

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline BTB

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 10:29:08 AM »
I, too, love pizza and generally find something good in all different styles, although being originally from Chicago, I love Chicago Style thin crust and deep dish pizzas the best.  The two mentioned above, Spacca Napoli and Coal Fire are not typical Chicago pizzas, however.  They are more Neapolitan style, which I'm not a big fan of.  They have their following, tho, but are not typical of the great Chicago Style pizzas that the city is famous for.  The style of pizza served at the Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. is a weird kind of pizza, however, that is also not typical of Chicago pizza.  Not to my liking, but again they have their following.

The most recent list that I've seen of CitySearch's Best of Chicago Pizza had Ed and Joe's in South suburban Tinley Park rated as No. 1 in the Chicago Metropolitan area.  It is a great, old-fashioned thin crust pizza that you can view being made from the window front. It is also in the neighborhood where Tom Lehmann (a.k.a. "The Dough Doctor") learned much of his pizzamaking skills.  When I had lived in the area, it was always one of my friends' and families' favorite pizzas.   Others on the list were: No. 2, Home Run Inn -- Truly one of the best pizzas ever.  I use to go to the original location when it was just a little tavern with pizzas made in back. Now there have many locations in the area, but the original one on 31st St. is far better than the others.  No. 3, Lou Malnati's -- which generally has the greatest deep dish pizza, but they have a consistency problem at some of their locations. No. 4, Pat's -- makes one of the best crispy, thin crust pizzas in Chicago. 

No. 5. Gino's East -- which I had recently, but I'm really not a big fan of either.  No. 8, Vito & Nick's -- great thin crust pizza and they deserve to be in the top 5. No. 9, Aurelio's -- another great pizza in the South suburbs, but have more locations now since they've become fairly famous.  No. 10, Pizzerias Uno and Due -- not the goofy chain across the country (that is now called Uno's Chicago Bar and Grill), but the original on Ohio Street, has been coming back to greatness after some bad years in which it altered the basic recipe. I would highly recommend these two sister pizzerias (which are only a block apart).  No.s 6, 7 (Pete's and Caponies Tattoria) I have not tried, but look forward to doing so in the future. See the results at http://chicago.citysearch.com/bestof/winners/pizza. These surveys, while not perfect, give you some idea of the excellent pizzas that exist in the Chicagoland area. There are many, many others that unfortunately go unrecognized, except on these boards and threads.

Offline gns67

• When in Austin, TX try Mangia Chicago style pizza
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 03:14:49 PM »
Hey, where are you staying at? 
Chicagoland is a pretty big place and there are a ton of options.  Knowing where you will be makes it easier to point you in the right direction and can save you a lot of traffic hassles. 

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 05:20:22 PM »
For deep dish...its Gino's East downtown.  Thin crust, Vito & Nicks (suburbs) and the original Aurelio's in Homewood.  Also for thick, Giordano's and Lou Malnati's downtown are good, but still Gino's is the best representative of that style IMO.
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 07:47:23 PM »
BTB, nice post! If the rest. doesn't begin with first or last names, don't go there. True Chicago pizza is a thin crust. LOL

pizzapan