Author Topic: Newbie dough question  (Read 1054 times)

Offline fniman

Newbie dough question
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »
The dough I've been using is made with water, kosher salt, yeast & flour(unbleached all purpose).
I use a KA mixer. I let it rise at room temp then I cover and store overnight in fridge before use.
When I take the dough out for use I cut a ball the size of a large orange from the batch and work it into a disk for the crust. This is as directed by the recipe. The problem I'm having is that the dough is very elastic and will not lay flat. It is very sticky and elastic. If I stretch it out it pulls back together in the center. If I try to roll it out the dough will stick to the rolling pin. Even with a good amount of corn meal it sticks to my peel and it's a battle to get it on my stone.

Help!

Thanks

Chris

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Newbie dough question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »
Post your dough formulation to give us a better idea of the type of dough you are working with.  Typically with a bulk rise when u cut a chunk of dough off it should reballed and cold fermented for another 12-24 hrs.  Then when u take it out of the fridge it needs to warm up to room temp (generally 2 hrs) so it stretches better. 

You mentioned the dough was sticky.  Did u use bench flour to prevent sticking?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »
Chris, are you using volume measurements( cups, tablespoons,etc.) or do you measure with a scale? (weight measurements)  Also, do you eyeball the orange size chunk or weigh it on a scale?  Do you see where I am going?  No a scale is not necessary to make good pizza, but it does help a new person (and old persons) replicate their results easily.  Time after time. An inexpensive digital scale was a great help to my pizza game.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline fniman

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »
@pythonic
I'm at work right now(don't tell my boss) so I can't give you the exact mix. After I left  my post I read several threads. Here is what I'm going to try this week.
1)separate into balls for the initial room temp rise.
2)store separately.
3)allow to warm up longer before use.

I use bench flour when I work with it.

@jet_deck

I go by measure but a digital scale purchase is in my future.
Thanks for your input.