Author Topic: Walmarts Dough ball $1.19 each!!!!!  (Read 15945 times)

Offline johnnytuinals

Walmarts Dough ball $1.19 each!!!!!
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
I enjoy buying my dough instead of making a mess lol.
At walmarts they are sell dough balls at $1.19 each,I picked up 10 of them...
They are made in NYC ,,,,Had a few of them and they are very good.............
Its nice to have somewhere local that don't over charge on dough balls......JT

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Walmarts Dough ball $1.19 each!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:59:32 PM »
The fun of pizza making is the dough creation. Why bother if you are going to buy pre-made dough? Just buy a frozen Wal-Mart pizza and be done with it.

The infinite combinations possible with Sourdough starter and other flours is what makes it great.

Good luck

pnw

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 10:43:09 PM »
lol
I think frozen pizza really blows,and even if you buy your dough from some place else.
I am sure it will be better then frozen???
Other then the dough.
If you are useing the best chesse {Grande east coast blend dice}
Your own sauce
and whatever
I find mine is much better then most localsssss.......
I never knew the chesse made the differance...
And since I buy my dough from walmarts,,,,and its made in NYC...
I am always getting a great meal....Yep I can make my own but since the dough comes from NYC and
its only $1.19 each,,,,I think other then that ,you can make a great meal with the walmarts dough........JT

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 07:26:14 AM »
I would not assume that because it comes from NYC that it's good, but agree a bought dough ball with your flair could certainly be better than a frozen pizza.    I am curious as to why Walmart would bother shipping the doughballs.   You can make a dough ball for something like 40-50 cents each.  I think we are the only place in the country where "we don't have Walmart"  ;D  We do but not within say 25 minutes and there's a million other stores closer (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc).

I did buy a "Publix" doughball in Florida, and found it darn near impossible to stretch out.  It was super stiff and the outcome was a bit sweet. 
Patrick

Offline asheborobluecomets

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:06:50 AM »
I had rather have control over my crust than Walmart!
I love the mess I make!
 :chef:

Offline Davydd

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 10:35:37 AM »
I don't think I would pass judgment on a Wal-Mart dough ball until I tried them myself. Retailers are getting to be pretty savvy in meeting people's needs with better products. I make my pizzas one or two at a time by hand without a stand mixer only on weekends and usually about every other week. So buying frozen dough balls would not be of much interest to me.  $1.19 considering my labor is terribly cheap. If I were to throw a pizza party. as I did many years ago for my daughter's high school dance line team, I think I would look at that option.
Davydd

Offline asheborobluecomets

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 07:59:01 AM »
I'm not passing judgement, I just do not shop there. Where I live they have ran all the small mom & pop stores out of business. And now that they ran off Kmart, Walmart has gone with the "check yourself out" scanners.
So, I'll keep making my own crust !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:chef:

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 09:21:13 AM »
I don't know about Walmart but, in Florida when I was first starting to make pizza, the "pizza" dough I bought at Publix was the same dough they used to make their "Italian Sandwich Bread".  ???  Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 10:40:53 AM »
Once I discovered this website, I spent about a year experimenting with dough.  I used KABF, KASL, GMAT and some locally made bread flour.  I experimented with various hydration levels, dough temperatures, yeast amounts, varying times in the fridge and several other options that I read about here.  What I ultimately made was a pretty good dough. But nothing, in my opinion, comes close to the dough that I can buy from the Piantedosi bakery up north of Boston.  I buy a case of 30 dough balls, and although the price has probably risen recently, a couple of months ago the price was 80 cents each (16 oz ball).

If people here look unfavorably on me because I don't make my own dough, I can live with that, because everyone who has tried mine believes that I am a god of pizza.

Why bother if you are going to buy pre-made dough? Just buy a frozen Wal-Mart pizza and be done with it.
That's silly.  Using that logic, if Walmart used your dough, their frozen pizza would be as good as what you produce.

Store-bought frozen pizzas are to home-made pizzas as tv dinners are to a home-cooked meal.  I believe that if any regular follower of this forum took any store-bought dough ball, they'd be able to produce a pizza better than any name-brand frozen pizza on the market.

That's not to say that your home made dough isn't better than the store-bought dough.  My point is that much of the quality of a pizza has to do with the cooking method, not to mention decent sauce and cheese.

Also, it can't be ignored that pizza opinions are subjective.  You might taste Piantedosi's dough and not like it. You might even like my home made dough better.
--pat--

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 12:11:54 PM »
Yep that sounds pretty right on the mark............
The dough I buy from walmarts is not a walmarts brand....
Yep if you use the best chesse(grande east coast blend lol}
You own sauce and whatever you want to put on it,,,I am sure it will be better then any pizza
that you buy local.....
I am in the poconos and 9 out of 10 places that sell pizza really BLOWS.
Since I am going to NYC next week,I will stop at one of the best places that make pizza
and buy a few dough balls.....Even if it $3 each.....(hope its cheaper}
Also if I make a pepperoni Roll,,,I can get 4 good
pepperoni roll from ONE dough ball,,,,,,If I buy my pepperoni rolls local.
They would cost me $5 - $7 each......But mine taste alot better and people have told me so.....JT

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 12:15:17 PM »
I have no quarrel with those who choose to use fresh or frozen dough balls made by others, or even those who choose to use frozen pizzas. But, for me, it's all about the hobby. If I did not make my own dough and pizzas, I would have no reason to belong to this forum. I would have to renounce my pizzamaking.com citizenship, turn in my Moderator's badge to Steve, and move on to something else.

Peter

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 08:52:43 PM »
Peter, I agree... I understand why some people buy dough balls because the crust is the hardest part to master... which is why I enjoy working at it!  But, if you just want to make a GOOD pizza at home without the investment of time, labor, ingredients and emotion, then store-bought dough works for some who do not wish to be so invested.

That said, I truly wish that people would stop supporting Wal-Mart.  I have several MAJOR moral issues with that company and have never spent a cent there and I never will even though there is a "superstore" less than 2 miles from my home.  I have worked retail for over 20 years, both grocery and drug store, and understand the skewed buck-to-BS ratio.  I also know that it's back-breaking work.  I have convinced my step-dad to stop shopping there (didn't take long when I explained the issues) and wish that I convince the rest of the country.  So, ashborobluecomets, I AM passing judgement and I wish more people would.

If you want to buy dough balls, find a better place than Wal-Mart.  How about a pizza place or a nice bakery?  Please?

~sd
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 08:54:41 PM by sourdough girl »
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 09:42:31 PM »
I agree with you.......
I didnot want to surport walmarts,,,,That was years ago but I guess things changed.
Not because of their prices but you can get everything you want at one time....
Yeppp if I can find Dough balls that are made in the NYC area then
I would buy them....
Its like making wine............
I used to try and make my wine,yep I bought the american oak barrow among many dollars
worth of equpment...But It just a tad more easy to buy my wine by the  Cases  now lol......
Same with the Pizza,,,,if you can buy the GOOD dough then you add the toppings and I am sure
it will taste alot more better then the locals.Unless I am wrong?

Offline DaveH

• Make some pizza? Let's do it!
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 10:07:42 PM »
I shop at Wal-Mart frequently and I've never seen an employee that looked like they were forced to be there or were abused....
As far as their product selection (another major gripe of the anti Wal-Mart group) I've seen the same selection in J.C. Penny, Sears, etc. but no one cares about that because they aren't the big dogs anymore! Wal-Mart's practice of expecting lower prices from suppliers is a common practice in today's world. I work in the steel industry and we are, routinely, told by Ford, GM and others that they expect our prices to be X% less next quarter and if we can't comply then xxx company will.

If someone doesn't want to work/shop at Wal-Mart then don't but, in the mean time this is a pizza forum. There are plenty of anti Wal-Mart sites for that stuff.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 03:37:28 AM »
I shop at Wal-Mart frequently and I've never seen an employee that looked like they were forced to be there or were abused....

You have obviously never worked retail or waited tables....  would YOU leave a nice tip (or return to a retail establishment) when the waitress/cashier tells you how much her feet hurt... or her back aches... or how badly "the boss" is treating employees?  Waitstaff/retail employees (both men and women) are ACTORS and if you think differently, you are living in a dream world.
Yes, this is a pizza forum, but the topic was brought up...  and not by me.  Wal-Mart sells cheap (dough balls or whatever) for a reason... but not the one you mentioned.  If you need further discussion, PM me.  I'll be happy to explain.

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 07:06:58 AM »
Holy cow!!!

A whole flaming thread about a premixed frozen doughball... :-D

I like the idea. Must try soon. ;D

-------------------------------------

And to all the 'make it from 100% scratch' guy's and gal's... :P

Soon, I think they will start INSISTING that we start growing our own wheat for the flour,,, And get a few buffalo's grazing out in the backyard,,, and start milking. :-D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 07:09:19 AM by Trinity »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline DaveH

• Make some pizza? Let's do it!
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 09:43:20 AM »
The problem with making statements, on a forum such as this, that contain the word "obviously" is that "obviously" you don't know me or where I may have been employed.  Yes, as a matter of fact, I have worked in both waitstaff and retail positions. My tip or return to an establishment has nothing to with the status of an employee's feet or their treatment by the boss. Those are their own problems. If you boss, at Wal-Mart or anywhere, is unbearable get another job. The complaint (by the Wal-Mart is the devil crowd) that the wages are sub-par make that an even easier task to do!

The funny thing is I know several people who work at Wal-Mart (in different capacities) and they complain about their jobs, boss, etc. frequently but, then again, so do the people I know who work at jobs that pay 5 times what Wal-Mart does! My conclusion is that, some people, will complain no matter what.

As I stated the option to work/shop anywhere is a personal one but, please, limit the "Wal-Mart is the devil" comments to the "Wal-Mart is the devil" forums.

I don't need any further discussion as I've heard it all before...over and over. Some people, for some reason, hate any one or any thing that is successful. So be it.

Can we now return to discussing pizza and it's virtues?

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 11:48:53 AM »
you are sooo right.......................
Now Lets talk about Dough Balls lol

Offline alconnell

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 12:41:43 PM »
I just had to chime in on this thread.  The Wal-Mart near me sells frozen Pepe's dough balls and some other kind of fresh dough in the deli section.  The frozen ones are actually quite good - the deli ones are awful.  Pepe's ingredients: Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, water, yeast and salt.  Not too bad as ingredients go.  I keep several on hand for ease of use, in case I have none of my own.  Makes a very good thin crust pizza.  I often use them when making pies for my daughter and friends and they love it. 
Of course, there is nothing like my own homemade dough, but it is just not always possible.  Sometimes my pizza eating gets ahead of my dough making!  And as other posters have commented, there are some good frozen ones out there.
As to the general Wal-Mart comments, I tended to avoid it as well, preferring locally owned stores.  Now the other two grocery stores, Hannaford and Shaw's are both foreign owned!  At least Wal-Mart is U.S. owned.  And most of their groceries come from the U.S. unlike their other products.