Author Topic: Walmarts Dough ball $1.19 each!!!!!  (Read 16425 times)

Offline bob42

Re: Walmarts Dough ball $1.19 each!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 07:01:27 PM »
Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum - but when I lived in the US I used to buy Trader Joe's pizza dough and that worked pretty well and was always handy to keep in the freezer - I would rather buy Trader Joe's than Walmart if you are going to buy pre-made.

I would say though that making your own is much better than pre-made

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »
Bob42,

Another formum member, giotto, and I actually took a stab at reverse engineering the "West Coast (California)" version of the Trader Joe's dough balls: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2036.msg19444.html#msg19444 (Reply 17).

There are a couple of other threads on the Trader Joe's dough if you are interested: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,798.msg7260.html#msg7260 and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,798.msg36724.html#msg36724. For some reason, those threads are printed out a lot--perhaps more than just about any other thread on the forum.

I have not tried (or even found) dough balls from Wal-Mart so I have no idea how they measure up against the Trader Joe's dough balls.

Peter

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 07:47:11 PM »
I think it depends where in the states you are from......
I am sure walmarts sells many differant types of doughs from many differant places....
The dough my walmarts sells is made at
Pepe's Bakery
in Amsterdam NY........Just wondering if its the same NYC water???? JT

Offline starr

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 04:38:38 PM »
I haven't tried the Walmart brand but I get Tiseo's at Meijer and I think they're great.  I could make a crust from scratch and I'm sure some day I will but in the meantime I like my frozen ones.  They thaw in just a few hours and handle beautifully.

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »
Gee I just bought 15 dough balls at walmarts at $1.12 each...
Its nice to have them around when I need one lol.

Offline Tony Pizzeria

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 12:24:35 PM »
 :( I agree with Peter on it depends on where in the country you are for the Trader Joe's Dough. Years ago I used to use it often  (.99 cents) and I know it came from California (I am in Sun City  >:D Arizona). Recently I bought 6 balls now $1.29 just to experiment with my 2-stone , I made one and as I said on another thread it was YUK!, I threw the other 5 in the trash :(. Feeling guilty, and just was to lazy to make a batch, well  (NEVER AGAIN) I believe the reason is that now they have a local guy making the balls or I (LOL) ;D just became a good Pizza Maker, thanks to the guys on this forum.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:03:52 PM by Tony Pizzeria »
CIAO BABY

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 11:32:32 PM »
Geeeee
I think the Dough Balls I get from walmarts are made in New York(up State}
I feel at $1.12 each
I know I can make a nice size pizza for myself.
And I can also get a nice size peperonni roll the next day with the extra dough...

The Pizza is ok up where I am is ok
Some places are not bad and many just suck.....
For the last 6 plus months I have been making my own.....

Yes I buy my Frozen Dough balls from Walmarts at $1.12 each and I buy 20 at a time and frezze them...
But I think I use the BEST chesse(Grande east coast Blend Dice}
Yep I buy it by a case(6 Five lbs bags,,,30 Lbs at $85 a case}
So the chesse is pretty cheap if you can frezze it.
I also bought a case of bottled sauce from the wholesale place where I get my Grande from.
Adding the best olive oil
and good ramano chesse
I feel I cannot complain because I KNOW i am useing mostly the best of everything.......
Yes I can make my own dough,But knowing me it would be a mess lol.
Its funny I know my pizza nobody can complain,,,and its less then $2.00 a pie...........JT

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 08:37:58 AM »
Where do you find these dough balls at Wal Mart ? Are they in the freezers or bakery sections or somewhere else?

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 08:10:04 PM »
freezers area.....................
They are as hard as a rock lol.
I take one dough ball out of the freezer the night before
and cut half of it and leave it in the kitchin about 3 hours before I use it the next day.
The other half I save it the next day as a meatball roll mmmmmmmm(thats tonight} :chef:

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 02:44:59 PM »
I have no quarrel with those who choose to use fresh or frozen dough balls made by others, or even those who choose to use frozen pizzas. But, for me, it's all about the hobby. If I did not make my own dough and pizzas, I would have no reason to belong to this forum. I would have to renounce my pizzamaking.com citizenship, turn in my Moderator's badge to Steve, and move on to something else.

Peter
One man's hobby can be another man's prison. Remember Mr. Trapped Behind Knowledge?  ;D
I think this site can benefit any level of pizza making interest....even those who jus wanna investigate what the current good,quality toppings are and where to get them to put on top of their plain cheese Tombstone.   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »
If somebody has a Pepe's dough ball from Walmart handy, will you tell me how many carbohydrates it shows on the nutritional statement?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:00:54 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2012, 03:01:21 PM »
Yes, Norma had pretty good results with those if I remember..
I've used the Wally's for a NY'er and they are "OK"....cannot be cold at ALL, dough is hard to open without it tearing.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »
I frequently get asked where and when I've had my best pizza. To answer this question honestly, I have to reply that it was the last time I made it at home. The reason being not that the pizza was by far the crispiest or most flavorful pizza ever created, but it met all of MY expectations for a truly great pizza, and if it didn't I knew who to blame. This came after more than 40-years of practice making pizza at every scale imaginable, and teaching it to literally hundreds of students, if not more. Like everyone else, I had my successes as well as my failures, and for the most part the failures tasted almost as good as the successes, but once I got the pizza that I liked nailed, I make it a habit of preparing it for family get togethers every opportunity I get, or put another way, the family has come to expect it from me. Is it their most favorite pizza? Probably not, but they eat it like a hungry wolf anyways. The up side is being able to enjoy eating MY very best pizza.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2012, 07:34:13 PM »
If somebody has a Pepe's dough ball from Walmart handy, will you tell me how many carbohydrates it shows on the nutritional statement?

Craig,

At Reply 357 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17632.msg201318.html#msg201318 is where I posted the Nutrition Facts for the Pepe’s dough ball.  It has 25 total carbohydrates on the back of the plastic bag.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 08:48:13 PM »
Craig,

At Reply 357 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17632.msg201318.html#msg201318 is where I posted the Nutrition Facts for the Pepe’s dough ball.  It has 25 total carbohydrates on the back of the plastic bag.

Norma

Good to see they got it fixed. It's still wrong on the Walmart website.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »
Yes, Norma had pretty good results with those if I remember..
I've used the Wally's for a NY'er and they are "OK"....cannot be cold at ALL, dough is hard to open without it tearing.
As I said, Norma did some investigations and trials with the "Pepe's" dough from Walmart. Bear in mind that not all Walmart's carry the Pepe's brand. Here in NC they offer a different brand, sorry, I don't recall the producers but I do remember they are out of 'Jersey.   Pepe's is too I believe..... :-\

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 09:00:29 PM »
btw...I thought Norma found Pepe's to be defunct.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »
Good to see they got it fixed. It's still wrong on the Walmart website.

Craig,

Yep, they got it fixed because of you.  I wonder why it is still wrong on the Walmart website.  I didn't even think to look there. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »
btw...I thought Norma found Pepe's to be defunct.

Bob,

No, Pepe's is not defunct.  If you look though that mystery thread you can see what all is posted.

Norma

Offline zelichan

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2012, 06:52:47 AM »
Myself, being a noobie to pizza making I can see the benefits of buying the dough. It could cut out some frustration at the beginning stages of one's journey. It could also facilitate the angle of getting some good pizza going to bring the family on board with the hobby.

It could good for a person to just practice making pizza. Later on surely the person would branch out and start making their own dough.

I started out making Chef Boyardee pizza kits. I shamelessly admit to loving that pizza. I will buy and make the pizza for old times sakes.

For me, [still a noobie] It's not how or why people use or choose not to use different tools, doughs or sauce. It's all about the fact we are here to make pizza that suits our own particular need, taste, and style. I think the differing opinions, styles, and input can only make us all better in the long run.

just my opinion.

Z