Author Topic: Attempt at making "Casey's General Store" gas station pizza  (Read 1210 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Attempt at making "Casey's General Store" gas station pizza
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2014, 06:49:09 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for converting Soup's dough recipe to a baker's percent format. 

Doesn't Casey's teach their owners how to make the pizza dough, and then help them if the owners are having problems.  Are different Casey's locations allowed to change their dough recipe?  And are some Casey's allowed to use screens instead of the seasoned pans?  Did you find out Casey's is using a pre-mix?  Maybe I am having a hard time understanding what all the Casey's locations do.

Thanks also for explaining Tom's dough formulation. 

BTW, I did use the contact page to see if Casey's would tell me if the nutritional information at the Casey's website is relative to their 12 pizza.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »
Peter,

Doesn't Casey's teach their owners how to make the pizza dough, and then help them if the owners are having problems.  Are different Casey's locations allowed to change their dough recipe?  And are some Casey's allowed to use screens instead of the seasoned pans?  Did you find out Casey's is using a pre-mix?  Maybe I am having a hard time understanding what all the Casey's locations do.

Norma

Norma,

At one time, Casey's had a franchisee program but I believe that that program was disbanded and Casey's now owns all of its 1800+ stores. So, presumably the store workers are employees of Casey's and take their orders from Casey's corporate and are trained internally. Whether there are exceptions from store to store is something I have no knowledge of. However, like many large chains, there are variations among the stores and it make take time for them to all be on the same song page. For example, from what I saw of photos and videos, it looks like at different times and places there were Casey's stores that used perforated cutter pans and perforated disks. If I had to guess, the newer stores might be using the perforated disks. I do not recall pizza screens being used but Jake may have better knowledge on that since he worked there years ago before the perforated cutter pans and disks became popular. On that score, I know that Papa John's has been phasing out screens in favor of perforated disks but from videos I have seen I believe that there are still some stores using screens.

As for the premix matter, Jake reported in Reply 22 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg326643#msg326643 that Casey's is using a premix with water. Also, since the ingredients list given for the pizza flour at Reply 14 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg326591#msg326591 does not include water, I think it is safe to say that Casey's is using a premix. The way that Casey's lays out the ingredients list without water is the way that Pizza Hut used to report their premixes in their nutrition documents years ago. Whether all of the Casey's stores are using the same premix is something about which I have no knowledge. I know that Casey's recently opened a pizza-only store but I don't know if that store has special practices that the other stores do not. Because we are unlikely to ever get the full story on Casey's and how it runs all of its stores, I think the safest approach for us to take is to assume that the ingredients list at Reply 14 is correct and that the dough is prepared as was discussed in the document you referenced in Reply 73 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg327705#msg327705.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2014, 08:19:39 PM »
BTW, I did use the contact page to see if Casey's would tell me if the nutritional information at the Casey's website is relative to their 12 pizza.

Norma

Norma,

When I first sent my email to Casey's, I thought that the only nutritional information on the Casey's website was the pdf document at http://www.caseys.com/sites/default/files/CaseysNutritionalInfo_20130313.pdf. However, I soon learned from Jake that there was also nutritional information embedded at different places in the Casey's pizza menu. In response to my email, I was told by Casey's that the embedded nutritional information was for their large (14") pizzas, but with six slices for nutrition reporting purposes, not twelve slices, which is the number of slices in the large pizzas as sold to consumers. By contrast, the only size pizza in the pdf document is for medium (12") pizzas, and the nutritional information is given for a single slice. What I have asked for more recently is whether for nutritional information reporting purposes there are six slices or eight slices. I think it is for six slices since the math doesn't work for me if there are eight slices.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2014, 08:46:42 PM »
Norma,

At one time, Casey's had a franchisee program but I believe that that program was disbanded and Casey's now owns all of its 1800+ stores. So, presumably the store workers are employees of Casey's and take their orders from Casey's corporate and are trained internally. Whether there are exceptions from store to store is something I have no knowledge of. However, like many large chains, there are variations among the stores and it make take time for them to all be on the same song page. For example, from what I saw of photos and videos, it looks like at different times and places there were Casey's stores that used perforated cutter pans and perforated disks. If I had to guess, the newer stores might be using the perforated disks. I do not recall pizza screens being used but Jake may have better knowledge on that since he worked there years ago before the perforated cutter pans and disks became popular. On that score, I know that Papa John's has been phasing out screens in favor of perforated disks but from videos I have seen I believe that there are still some stores using screens.

As for the premix matter, Jake reported in Reply 22 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg326643#msg326643 that Casey's is using a premix with water. Also, since the ingredients list given for the pizza flour at Reply 14 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg326591#msg326591 does not include water, I think it is safe to say that Casey's is using a premix. The way that Casey's lays out the ingredients list without water is the way that Pizza Hut used to report their premixes in their nutrition documents years ago. Whether all of the Casey's stores are using the same premix is something about which I have no knowledge. I know that Casey's recently opened a pizza-only store but I don't know if that store has special practices that the other stores do not. Because we are unlikely to ever get the full story on Casey's and how it runs all of its stores, I think the safest approach for us to take is to assume that the ingredients list at Reply 14 is correct and that the dough is prepared as was discussed in the document you referenced in Reply 73 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg327705#msg327705.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for getting me up to speed about at one time Casey's had a franchisee program but you believe that program was disbanded and now Casey's owns all of its 1800+ stores.  I can understand that like many large chains there are variations among the stores and it might take time for them to be on the same song page.  I will wait to see what Jake has to say about if Casey's used pizza screens since he worked at Casey's. 

I see from your link what Jake said now.  I also missed that Jake posted that when he worked at Casey's they did a bulk ferment in the walk in behind the beer and pop, and there was very little working of the dough by hand.

I did not know that Casey's recently opened a pizza-only store.  I also think the safest approach is for us to assume the the ingredients list at Reply 14 is correct. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2014, 08:49:01 PM »
Norma,

When I first sent my email to Casey's, I thought that the only nutritional information on the Casey's website was the pdf document at http://www.caseys.com/sites/default/files/CaseysNutritionalInfo_20130313.pdf. However, I soon learned from Jake that there was also nutritional information embedded at different places in the Casey's pizza menu. In response to my email, I was told by Casey's that the embedded nutritional information was for their large (14") pizzas, but with six slices for nutrition reporting purposes, not twelve slices, which is the number of slices in the large pizzas as sold to consumers. By contrast, the only size pizza in the pdf document is for medium (12") pizzas, and the nutritional information is given for a single slice. What I have asked for more recently is whether for nutritional information reporting purposes there are six slices or eight slices. I think it is for six slices since the math doesn't work for me if there are eight slices.

Peter

Peter,

I understand better what you are trying to find out now.

Norma

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: Yesterday at 06:46:53 PM »
Norma,

Peter

Having been to the stand alone pizza location recently, I can say that this location is definitely using a hard anodized perforated cutter pan to make the pizzas. This is the newest location and has been said by Casey's management that this location will be the model going forward.  These are also very close to what I used when I worked there, before I even knew what a cutter pan was.  I have stopped at another gas station location and they were also using cutter pans and pin style dockers.  I can also say that I have never seen a screen being used In a Casey's before. The only reason I used one in my first attempt is that the perforated pan I own has very,very small holes. 
I also have the feeling that many of the older locations way out in the middle of nowhere may be doing things slightly different but I believe there has been a big push by corporate for consistency. 
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #86 on: Yesterday at 07:00:49 PM »
Jake,

Welcome back.

I believe that you are right about the cutter pan. It was in the first video at Reply 66 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32972.msg327680#msg327680 that I first saw the carrier for the pizza. That was toward the end of the video, at around 2:10. I thought that it was a perforated disk but upon closer inspection I now see that it was a perforated cutter pan, with what appears to be a fairly shallow rim.

Peter

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #87 on: Yesterday at 07:57:50 PM »
Peter
Thanks, we had a great time.  I was not able to engage any Casey's workers on my travels however as I was told we were on vacation and my wife said that also included a break from my new obsession. 

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: Yesterday at 08:06:25 PM »
I imagine it would be hard to believe how many Caseys pizza locations are in the Des Moines area for someone that is not from this area .  Jake said there are two of them within 500 yards from each other, well its more like 250 yards, it is two outlets of the same Walmart and only a McDonalds separates them.  Without a doubt I could drive a golf ball from one store to the other and im not John Daly.  Below is a picture I took from the phone book that list the Caseys Pizza locations.  The phone book covers what is called the golden circle and includes all of the suburbs and surrounding city's, a population of around 600K.  Just in case the detail doesn't show in the picture, it is 79 locations and this is last years phone book.

RacerX
Thanks,  I knew my estimate of 500 yards probably overshot the actual distance but I didn't want anyone to just jump to the conclusion that I was exaggerating.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #89 on: Yesterday at 08:10:10 PM »
Peter
Thanks, we had a great time.  I was not able to engage any Casey's workers on my travels however as I was told we were on vacation and my wife said that also included a break from my new obsession.
That is really sorry man....imho.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #90 on: Yesterday at 08:40:01 PM »
That is really sorry man....imho.
Agreed Bob, but It was an easy sacrifice to make after I got food poisoning at a pizza joint in Sioux Falls.

pizzapan