Author Topic: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza  (Read 141776 times)

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Hut Pan Pizza
« Reply #300 on: August 10, 2014, 09:07:43 PM »
Bob
Thank you.  I did oil the pans but, not nearly as much as I have in the past.  I feel they needed more oil than I have put in this time, as they were not nearly as crispy and pizza hut-y as I have made in the past.  Other than that, the crumb was spot on.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:11:29 PM by Jakew81 »
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #301 on: August 10, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »
Bob
Thank you.  I did oil the pans but, not nearly as much as I have in the past.  I feel they needed more oil than I have put in this time, as they were not nearly as crispy and pizza hut-y as I have made in the past.  Other than that, the crumb was spot on.
That`s what I observed.

Here`s a guy that uses 6oz. of pan and rim oil....I know I`ve seen others using like around 3oz`s and more.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28134.msg284226#msg284226
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #302 on: August 10, 2014, 09:20:58 PM »
Thanks Bob,
Agreed much more oil next time and I think it will be perfect!
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Offline Slayter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #303 on: January 24, 2015, 08:17:34 PM »
Thank you, thank you , thank you!!!!!

I love the pan pizzas from PH and this crust turned out awesome, to my tastes anyway. I did use Pete-zza's PJ sauce because we also made one of his. This crust rocks and I look forward to many a pizza night in the future.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2015, 08:20:16 PM »

Tasty looking pizza slayter...congrats!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Slayter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #305 on: January 24, 2015, 08:56:34 PM »
Thanks, Bob!

Only the third pizza I've ever made. Made two last week, had to put the baking stone through a self-clean in the oven thanks to my goof-ups, came here through Google looking for tips on getting the skin off the peel, and next thing I know . . . BAM! I've made two more pizzas, with radically different crusts (PH pan & PJ style) and both turned out well. The wifey looooooves this PH pan style crust. Many thanks to all the masterminds behind this forum.

Oh, and the PJ crust slide right off the peel onto the stone like I'd done it all my life.  :D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #306 on: January 24, 2015, 09:00:15 PM »
Slater,

It looks like you aced it, especially for a newbie. Can you tell us which specific recipe you used?

Peter

Offline Slayter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #307 on: January 24, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »
Slater,

It looks like you aced it, especially for a newbie. Can you tell us which specific recipe you used?

Peter

:-[ :-[ Thanks, Peter!

I used the recipe from post #1 (http://www.pizzamaking.com/panpizza.php). I do not have a stand mixer, although I keep hinting at the wife for one.  :P So, I used my trusty danish dough hook to combine the ingredients and then hand kneaded it for ten minutes. With this particular dough that is some serious work!  :o  I poured 4oz of vegetable oil (soybean) into a 15" pan. Rolled out the dough to about 14", put it in the pan, covered with a cutting board, let it sit out for about 2 hours, and stuck it in the fridge for almost 24 hours.

The cheese was a blend of whole milk mozzarella (6oz.) and and low-moisture mozzarella (3oz.) as listed in your PJ clone thread. The sauce was similar to your PJ clone sauce, but I used Cento brand crushed tomatoes instead of the GV brand. I did not need to drain any moisture from them so I adjusted the ingredients per the percentages listed for your sauce. Let it marinate in the fridge for almost 24 hours. I would have preferred a less sweet sauce on this particular pie, but the wife loved it so that's what we'll use.  ;D I also placed the pepperonis between paper towels to get some of the grease out. Another tip from  your PJ clone thread.

I allowed the baking stone to heat up @ 500F on the bottom rack of a convection oven for an hour before pulling the dough from the fridge, dressing it with help from the kids,  and placing it on the stone. Cooked for 14 minutes and viola!    :pizza:

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #308 on: January 24, 2015, 09:33:42 PM »
Slayter,

Sometime you might want to take a look at the modified PH recipe as set forth at Reply 6 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909

Peter

Offline Slayter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #309 on: January 24, 2015, 09:45:10 PM »
Peter,

That's awesome! I thought it was a little thick, even though I was using a 15" pan instead of a 14". I will definitely scale it back next time.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #310 on: January 25, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »
Slayter,

This is supposed to be a good clone of the PH sauce:

Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=4452.msg92245#msg92245

You might also note some of the posts that follow to put cloning of pizza sauces into perspective.

Peter

Offline wise1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #311 on: January 29, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »
I bought several pizza hut pans at a rummage for $1 a piece a couple years ago. Including 2 large pan, and 3 personal mini pans. I made a crust like that and found out that you're actually frying the crust. The oil or whatever is what gives it that great taste as it soaks in. The recipe I used put it in the fridge also. I bet a little melted but might make it taste good also.. I think their round pans also gives it the heat it needs to cook the crust around the edges.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #312 on: January 30, 2015, 07:29:08 AM »
Glad to see this thread has been resurrected.  This recipe in post #1, was the very first recipe I used when joining the forum back in August 2013.  Just yesterday, I was thinking of making this again for my little girl who loves this pizza style.

The recipe is spot on but the only thing I remember not liking was the taste of the vegetable oil in the bottom of the pan.  I'm ok with the amount of oil in order to achieve that "fried" texture, but feel like taste is lacking here.

If you had to choose an alternative oil for the bottom, which would it be? EVOO? Avocado? Or Corn oil?
Mary Ann

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #313 on: January 30, 2015, 10:07:04 AM »
Avocado isn't big on flavor. It's analogous to unsalted butter.  Peanut oil can have a lightly nutty flavor, and it's generally believed NOT to be an allergen.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #314 on: January 30, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »
Avocado isn't big on flavor. It's analogous to unsalted butter.  Peanut oil can have a lightly nutty flavor, and it's generally believed NOT to be an allergen.

Oh, I forgot about peanut oil.  No allergens in my house.  Do you think peanut oil would taste better than corn oil, Jonas?
Mary Ann

Offline MrH

« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2015, 09:10:11 PM »
Thank you, thank you , thank you!!!!!

I love the pan pizzas from PH and this crust turned out awesome, to my tastes anyway. I did use Pete-zza's PJ sauce because we also made one of his. This crust rocks and I look forward to many a pizza night in the future.

Your cheese even looks like theirs. On looks alone I'd believe it was the real deal.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:29:19 PM by MrH »

Offline wise1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #316 on: February 05, 2015, 11:31:31 PM »
Sorry, I meant to say butter in my previous post.. I think a butter flavoring oil like they use in popcorn would taste good when it's put in the bottom of the pan.. There is a pdf file floating around on the internet somewhere that has some of pizza hut's clone recipes.. Used to think just the crust was important in a pizza but am changing my mind to think other things are just as important. Like the type of sauce and toppings. But mostly the crust and the sauce..

Offline The Lord Of The Pizza

• There Will Be Pizza.
« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2015, 02:42:52 PM »
Definitely have to try this!

What type of cheese would you guys recommend for duplicating an old school Pizza Hut Pan Pizza?

Also, any specific pan I should acquire? 
Cooking can be a reflection of your approach to everything. Do the best that you can and if you burn the toast, do it again, right.

Offline The Lord Of The Pizza

• There Will Be Pizza.
« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2015, 02:46:06 PM »
Also, should this be cold fermented at a minimum of 24 hours? 
Cooking can be a reflection of your approach to everything. Do the best that you can and if you burn the toast, do it again, right.

Offline Brewman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #319 on: March 28, 2015, 09:58:06 PM »
Cooked the Pizza Hut pan clone in post 1. This pie came out great and tasted just like PH pan pizza. The crust was too thick and the bottom was a bit overdone but this pie tasted great. Only let the dough rise 2 hours and used KA AP flour. Wil cook this again next weekend scaling the dough down for a 13 inch pan, let rise overnight and move the stone up one rack. Also, I used canola instead of vegetable oil. Does the oil type make a difference?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #320 on: March 29, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »
Brewman,

Which recipe did you use?

Peter

Offline Brewman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #321 on: March 29, 2015, 11:13:01 AM »
Used xPHmgr's recipe from post 1 in this thread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #322 on: March 29, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »
Used xPHmgr's recipe from post 1 in this thread.
Brewman,

You might take a look at the scaled down version at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909. You might be able to further scale it down your pan size, using the thickness factor 0.14291 in the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded-calculator.html.

Peter

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #323 on: July 23, 2015, 07:44:24 PM »
Made this tonight.  Everything was spot on Pizza Hut however the vegetable oil I used (Kroger) gave the bottom a bad taste.  Other than that I thought I was eating the original Pizza Hut pan pizza from the 80s.  I altered Peter's recipe below and I believe it did the trick.  I used all trumps high gluten flour with 57% hydration and 6% oil.  I did a 6hr room temp rise followed by a 60 minute proof in my oiled pan.  Pizza was baked at 450F on a 500F preheated stone for 15 mins then the pan was moved under the broiler for 2-3 mins to finish off the top.  It was magical.  You must try it.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4607.msg38909.html#msg38909
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #324 on: July 23, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
Nate,

Thanks for writing up your attempt at a PH clone pizza. That way I can reference your posts when other members inquire about that particular style of pizza.

Peter