Author Topic: Attempt at making "Casey's General Store" gas station pizza  (Read 585 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Attempt at making "Casey's General Store" gas station pizza
« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 09:28:55 AM »
Jake,

I'm not sure what you were planning to say in the incomplete last sentence of your post, but the specs for the All Aces flour can be seen at http://www.generalmillscf.com/services/productpdf.ashx?pid=52232000. That flour is a step up from an all-purpose flour from a protein standpoint (it is 12%), but less than the KAAP (or its commercial counterpart), which has a protein content of 11.7%. But the Aces flour is bleached and bromated, malted, and has the full vitamin and iron enrichment package, not just the folic acid as is apparently the case at Casey's if the ingredients list is correct and complete. For your purposes, I wouldn't worry about the enrichment of the flour you used. In that vein, GM has several bleached, bromated, malted and enriched flours that can conceivably work for a Casey's clone. You can see the full array of GM flours at http://www.generalmillscf.com/Home/products/flour.

Peter

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 11:06:51 AM »
Peter.  My apologies. I realize that what I posted was not only an incomplete sentence, but not even a fully formed thought.  I have since edited my post.  I was actually already at the site of the link you just posted while researching flours.  I clicked on the first one on the page, the all aces flour, and the first thing that popped out at me was the fact that the word protein was misspelled.  The quote from you, is from the post about the word potassium being misspelled on Casey's website.   
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:31:33 PM by Jakew81 »
Time you enjoy wasting has not been wasted time!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #42 on: Yesterday at 06:03:52 PM »
Jake,

I heard back from Casey's today. For the record, here are the question and answer relative to the Casey's Nutritional Information for the Medium size pizza:

My Question: I was at your website studying your Nutrition Information on your pizzas. The nutrition information is given there for a single slice of a Medium pizza. Can you please tell me how many slices are in a medium pizza for purposes of the Nutrition Information so that I can calculate the data for a full Medium pizza? Thank you.

Casey's Answer: The nutritional information for our large pizzas is correct as they are cut into 12 slices.  The pizzas that are placed in the warmer are cut into 6 pieces and that information is listed under the authorized pizzas.  If you are needing the nutritional information for these as a whole pie, the amount would be per slice.

I should mention here that at the time I sent my email to Casey's the only Nutritional Information that I was aware of was the pdf document I found at the Casey's website, at http://www.caseys.com/sites/default/files/CaseysNutritionalInfo_20130313.pdf. It wasn't until the Casey response mentioned the large pizzas that I started to poke around the Casey's website and found that there was other Nutritional Information embedded in pieces in their menu.

Based on the Casey response, I interpret that response to say that that Casey's normally cuts their large pizzas into 12 slices but that the pizzas that are to be sold as slices and that are put in the warmer are cut into 6 slices. And the Nutritional Information for a full pizza cut into 12 slices would be 1/2 the Nutritional Information embedded in the menu times 12. Is that your understanding?

I may follow up on the Medium size pizza even though I don't think we really need the data for that size. For now, I think we should focus on the large (14") size. We believe we know the dough ball weight for that size (18 ounces), and we can rely on the Nutritional Information for that size to move the ball down the field. However, one of the things I noticed in the pdf document is that the Cholesterol information is the same for a slice of the Cheese pizza and a slice of a Pepperoni pizza. The only way that can happen is if the amount of cheese put on a pepperoni pizza is less than is put on a cheese pizza of the same size. That is a common practice. But if that is the case, I would imagine that the same practice is used for a large pizza. FYI, an ounce of pepperoni slices typically comprises 15-16 slices. I couldn't quite tell how many slices of pepperoni were put on the pepperoni pizza you showed in a recent post, but it looked like 31-32 slices. As a comparison, the $10 pepperoni pizza shown on the Casey's website has 33 slices by my reckoning. I would guess around 2-3 ounces worth. If you end up with a connection at Casey's, you might ask the brand of the pepperoni they use. It will be a foodservice product.

Peter

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: Yesterday at 07:59:33 PM »
I believe your interpretation of the information Casey's sent you is accurate.  I do not however know that there was a significantly smaller amount of cheese on the pepperoni pizza than the cheese, it is possible though.  I did take note that if you took an average count each (1/12) slice had between 2 1/2 to 3 slices of pepperoni on each slice, so between 5 and 6 slices of pepperoni per (1/6) warmer slice.  If we assume this is average I believe 33 slices per large pizza is spot on.
These are the numbers I have found for the warmer slices, which you have discovered are two large whole pie slices (1/6 of a large)

PEPPERONI (PER WARMER SLICE)
CALORIES     CARBS   CHOL        FAT   FIBER   PROTEIN   SODIUM
559               66.9g      57.9mg        23.5g   2.9g          23.8g            967.3mg

CHEESE (PER WARMER SLICE)
CALORIES      CARBS      CHOL     FAT         FIBER     PROTEIN       SODIUM
508            66.7g   45.8mg   18.6g   2.9g                21.7g         795.4mg

These are the corresponding numbers from the PDF spreadsheet for a medium slice (1/8 a medium pizza). 

Pepperoni 387 47.9g 29.2mg 10.5g 2.1g 16.2g 664.1mg
Cheese 351 48.8g 29.2mg 12.3g 2.12g 14.5g 516.3mg

We have already established there is at least one typo on the Casey's website, that being said I know how easy it would be typing this spreadsheet up to put a number in the wrong place.  I find it hard to believe that the cholesterol on the pepperoni pizza is the same as cheese and there is less fat on a slice of pepperoni. 12.3 on cheese and 10.5 on the pepperoni.  But I may be wrong.
I would venture to guess that the large warmer slice numbers embedded in the website are probably more accurate, and suggest we accept these numbers, especially since we believe we know the 18 oz dough ball equals 1/6 of a 14 inch pizza. 
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:15:43 PM by Jakew81 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 08:21:41 PM »
Jake,

I am going to follow up with Casey's on the Nutritional Information for the 12" size to be on the safe side.

Today I saw a video that showed a Casey's pizza being made in a cutter pan:

https://vimeo.com/35978998

Is that what Casey's generally uses to make its pizzas?

Peter

Offline Jakew81

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 09:36:44 PM »
This is absolutely the type of pan I used to use. As I have stated at some point on this thread, we would eyeball/guesstimate the dough as we cut it off, then run it though the sheeter twice for correct thickness, dock it, and cut off any excess after placed in the pan.  I am not certain that is still, or ever was, company policy.  We would then push around the edge to form the crust.  That also looks like the type of pan I saw on Sunday.
I will also say that I helped open the store I worked at and we were just trying to figure out what to do on our own most of the time. I have also stated before that the chain has grown exponentially since then and I am sure things have been streamlined over the years.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:57:02 PM by Jakew81 »