Author Topic: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza  (Read 6667 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Trying to duplicate Buffalo, NY style pizza
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 09:48:44 AM »
Great pies.  Are you just using greased aluminum cutter pans to bake them on?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline boalpd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2015, 08:45:31 AM »

I also tried a Beef on Weck pizza tonight.

Gator24,

Please give me your list of toppings. Was the salt and caraway just on the cornice or on the whole pie?

Thanks,
Phil

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2015, 09:05:02 AM »
I could be wrong, but I believe he was trying to mimic the pizza in this video...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/videos/dv800/pizza-pork-and-paprikash.0135987.html

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2015, 09:06:23 AM »
Great pies.  Are you just using greased aluminum cutter pans to bake them on?

Nate

I usually bake the pizza on the aluminum pan then place the pizza on the stone for the last 30 seconds to brown the bottom of the pie  This is usually how its done in Buffalo. 

Offline gator24

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2015, 03:14:27 PM »
I could be wrong, but I believe he was trying to mimic the pizza in this video...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/videos/dv800/pizza-pork-and-paprikash.0135987.html

That's exactly where I got it from. I just kind of winged it. I made a roux and then added milk, caraway seeds, salt, and horseradish sauce. I have the measurements at home I could get it for you if you'd like. I made it a couple nights ago again but this time without tomatoes. I actually like it better without the tomatoes. I think the key is using A LOT of horseradish!

Offline pythonic

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2015, 03:47:58 PM »
I usually bake the pizza on the aluminum pan then place the pizza on the stone for the last 30 seconds to brown the bottom of the pie  This is usually how its done in Buffalo.

Very interesting.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2015, 07:59:08 PM »
Shmigga,

Are your pics from reply 13 using recipe from reply 10?  What rack(s) are you baking on?

Nate

Offline pythonic

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2015, 08:37:18 PM »
Here is my attempt from dinner tonight.  Decent results.  I need to let it proof longer and dock it as well.  I also want to use about half the sugar in the dough next time around as it was a tad sweet for me.  I also want to bake about 2 minutes less.

Nate

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2015, 09:41:29 PM »
Pythonic,

Your pizza looks really good.  How did it taste?  Yes my pics from reply 13 are based on the recipe in reply 10.  The only changes were that i used all trumps flour.

Chris

Offline shmigga

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
So last time I was in Buffalo, I managed to grab a few make your own pizza mixes that Just Pizza sells.  Basically it contains everything that you need except water.  One package makes enough dough for two 16 inch pizzas.  I had pretty good results and the dough was quite a bit different than the stuff I've been making.  The pizza was definitely thinner than it should have been but it the dough cooked all of the way through.  It actually tasted a lot like Just Pizza's dough.  I am not a fan of Just Pizza, but I figured I would try the mix out just to see how it tasted

I've also tried to reverse engineer their recipe.  Assuming that they use 2% sugar and 2% salt, I came up with the recipe below:

Flour (100%):    431.45 g  |  15.22 oz | 0.95 lbs
Water (52.5%):    226.51 g  |  7.99 oz | 0.5 lbs
ADY (.2%):    0.86 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.23 tsp | 0.08 tbsp
Salt (2%):    8.63 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.55 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (1%):    4.31 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.95 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
Sugar (2%):    8.63 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.16 tsp | 0.72 tbsp
Total (157.7%):   680.4 g | 24 oz | 1.5 lbs | TF = N/A

The salt, sugar, soybean oil and yeast are complete guesses.  I'm looking for input on the recipe above to see if anyone has any other thoughts.  The only thing that I know for sure is that the flour, salt, sugar, and soybean oil all add up to a weight of 16 ounces and the water weighs 8 ounces.  Is anyone familiar with the ingredients in their flour?  The list is strikingly close to All Trumps but it doesn't contain potassium bromate.

Below are pics of the packaging, a pic of my pizza, then a pic of an actual Just Pizza pizza (the pic with the slices cut incorrectly).

Offline AlexE

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2015, 04:22:20 PM »
Made this again w/ the bocce club sauce from earlier in this thread. I've never had bocce club pizza but I didn't really like the sauce. I used low moisture whole milk mozz that i shredded myself and margherita pepperoni.

I keep trying different sauce recipes and I always go back to my favorite: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/exquisite-pizza-sauce/

here's a pic of the pizza http://i.imgur.com/vO2q637.jpg