Author Topic: Round Table Pizza dough recipe - Part One  (Read 249797 times)

Offline FoodieZ

Re: Round Table Pizza dough recipe - Part One
« Reply #680 on: December 18, 2014, 09:15:01 PM »
I still have not found anything close to tasting like their pan crust, nor have I found a sauce recipe that has the spiciness or tang theirs does.

I'm just a humble, long time fan of the pizza, especially the sauce, and have been attempting to re-create it for... let's just say a long time. I used Lydia's recipe for a while, played around with Penzey's pizza spice, which seems to me to come somewhat close, then started changing my recipe around to compare to the little "sides" of red sauce that I was able to coax out of my local Round Table. I know they use a prepared sauce mix, but somehow it just seems that the flavor has varied by location, and perhaps over time as well. But for the here and now, here's my current go-to...

4 teaspoons ground coriander (gives it that distinct "orange-y" flavor)
2 teaspoons ground fennel
2 teaspoons dried mexican oregano
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoons granulated onion
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (gives it that distinct "orange-y" color)
1/2 teaspoon Fruit Fresh (for the Ascorbic Acid and Citric Acid, tried other acidic ingredients, this seemed to work best for the "tangy")
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne (the "bite", along with the black pepper)

Add approximately 3 teaspoons of this spice mixture to 3 ounces of tomato paste (I use Hunt's), then add about 1 1/2 to 2 ounces of water (again, my Round Table is inconsistent/thicker/thinner.

Shortcut to the above:

3 teaspoons Penzey’s Pizza Seasoning + 1 teaspoon coriander + 1/4 teaspoon Fruit Fresh + 1/4 teaspoon turmeric

YMMV...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:31:15 PM by FoodieZ »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #681 on: December 18, 2014, 09:24:11 PM »
I'm just a humble, long time fan of the pizza, especially the sauce, and have been attempting to re-create it for... let's just say a long time. I used Lydia's recipe for a while, played around with Penzey's pizza spice, which seems to me to come somewhat close, then started changing my recipe around to compare to the little "sides" of red sauce that I was able to coax out of my local Round Table. I know they use a prepared sauce mix, but somehow it just seems that the flavor has varied by location, and perhaps over time as well. But for the here and now, here's my current go-to...

2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon fruit fresh (tried other acidic ingredients, this worked best for the "tangy")

Add approximately 3 teaspoons of this spice mixture to 3 ounces of tomato paste (I use Hunt's), then add about 1 1/2 to 2 ounces of water (again, my Round Table is inconsistent/thicker/thinner.

Shortcut to the above:

3 teaspoons Penzey’s Pizza Seasoning + 1 teaspoon coriander + 1/4 teaspoon fruit fresh + 1/4 teaspoon turmeric

YMMV...
Thank you for your detailed post Z and welcome to the forum.   8)

We don't get many folks talking about sauce....I hope you stick around.   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #682 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:13 PM »

2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon Fruit Fresh (for the Ascorbic Acid and Citric Acid, tried other acidic ingredients, this seemed to work best for the "tangy")

Shortcut to the above:

3 teaspoons Penzey’s Pizza Seasoning + 1 teaspoon coriander + 1/4 teaspoon Fruit Fresh + 1/4 teaspoon turmeric

YMMV...

I like this. A couple comments. I personally think the key ingredient to RT sauce is Hungarian paprika.  But that might just be my own taste. The fruit fresh is interesting and consistent with something I tried which was pineapple juice powder.  Unfortunately the only place I have found it was King Arthur's in VT and they stopped selling it. Maybe I'll look up Fruit Fresh.

Wes

Offline FoodieZ

« Reply #683 on: December 18, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »
I like this. A couple comments. I personally think the key ingredient to RT sauce is Hungarian paprika.  But that might just be my own taste. The fruit fresh is interesting and consistent with something I tried which was pineapple juice powder.  Unfortunately the only place I have found it was King Arthur's in VT and they stopped selling it. Maybe I'll look up Fruit Fresh.

Wes

Yes, wsonner, I had seen the mention of Hungarian Paprika on the forum, which is always in my spice cabinet, and I tried it. For whatever reason, from my RT, that day, I was having trouble detecting that paprika flavor from the sauce sample at hand.

For the pineapple juice powder, have you tried Great American Spice Co.?:

http://www.americanspice.com/search.php?q=pineapple+powder

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:28:04 PM by FoodieZ »