Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 280362 times)

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #2150 on: December 08, 2015, 12:34:30 PM »
There is a mellow mushroom in my area. I'll go and see if it is about that life.

Offline derrick36

« Reply #2151 on: January 05, 2016, 03:46:27 PM »
Hello,

I'm coming into this thread REALLY late, but after looking at the different formulations and examples, I'm really excited to give things a try.  I noticed that Peter came up with MM#7 a while back:

Norma,

In order to keep the variables under control, for the next dough formulation for you to try I suggest that you use the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses again. I also propose to decrease the amount of salt to 1.50%, just as I did for my last MM clone dough formulation. For the flour, you should try the Pendleton Power flour. With the foregoing changes, the MM clone dough formulation (MM#7) looks like this:

MM#7-Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses MM Clone Dough Formulation With Pendleton Power Flour
Pendleton Power Flour (100%):
Water (Spring Water) (51%):
IDY (0.60%):
Salt (Table Salt) (1.50%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (2.46%):
Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses (11.5%):
Total (167.06%):
314.69 g  |  11.1 oz | 0.69 lbs
160.49 g  |  5.66 oz | 0.35 lbs
1.89 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.63 tsp | 0.21 tbsp
4.72 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.85 tsp | 0.28 tbsp
7.74 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.7 tsp | 0.57 tbsp
36.19 g | 1.28 oz | 0.08 lbs | 5.43 tsp | 1.81 tbsp
525.72 g | 18.54 oz | 1.16 lbs | TF = 0.1204643
Note: Dough is for a single 14” pizza; nominal thickness factor = 0.118684; “adjusted” hydration = 53.3%; “effective” hydration = 55.8%; bowl residue compensation = 1.5%

Peter

I've got Power Flour readily available to me.  From those who have attempted MM#7, is that still the best formulation for that flour, or have there been any new discoveries that I should try?  I noticed in later posts that a Steen's/Grandma's Molasses Blend was used.  I'm not sure if either of those are available to me locally, but I'm pretty sure both are available on Amazon.  I guess what I'm asking, is if there are any updates I should include with MM#7, or should I just stick with the formulation as is?

I just know that the examples from Norma and others look amazing, and I can't wait to give some a try!!!

Thank you to those that have done all the legwork in this thread!!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2152 on: January 06, 2016, 10:09:57 AM »
derrick36,

As I noted at the bottom of Reply 2123 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3940.msg366419#msg366419, each MM clone dough formulation pretty much stands on its own because of the type and brand of flour used and the type and brand of molasses used. The reality is that we don't know exactly what MM is doing as to the selection and sourcing of these ingredients. You can get a better feel for how the numbers can change depending on the flour and molasses, or molasses blend, used, see the MM clone dough formulations set forth at Reply 2123 referenced above and at Reply 2110 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3940.msg363403#msg363403. In both cases, I tried to match the formulations to the nutrition information given at the MM website. Changing either the type or brand of flour or molasses (or molasses blend) would mean a different set of numbers to match the MM nutrition information.

In your case, with the Power flour, you might try the MM clone dough formulation set forth at Reply 2110 cited above because the Power flour has an above average rated absorption value for a high gluten flour, and it might benefit from the higher hydration value called for in Reply 2110. Also, you won't have to hunt down molasses products that are not available on most supermarket shelves. The Grandma's molasses, while not perfect for crust coloration purposes, is perhaps good enough for your purposes and is available just about everywhere.

To the above, I would add that there is nothing wrong with trying the MM#7 formulation. However, it calls for a specific type and brand of molasses--the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses--that may be hard to find in supermarkets.

I do not believe that any member has tried and posted results using the two formulations referenced above. But it would be nice to see either of the formulations leads to improved results based on their matches to the MM nutrition information. Even then, the matches might not be perfect because a home oven is not the equal of a commercial oven.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Peter

Offline halexh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2153 on: March 15, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »
derrick36,

As I noted at the bottom of Reply 2123 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3940.msg366419#msg366419, each MM clone dough formulation pretty much stands on its own because of the type and brand of flour used and the type and brand of molasses used. The reality is that we don't know exactly what MM is doing as to the selection and sourcing of these ingredients. You can get a better feel for how the numbers can change depending on the flour and molasses, or molasses blend, used, see the MM clone dough formulations set forth at Reply 2123 referenced above and at Reply 2110 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3940.msg363403#msg363403. In both cases, I tried to match the formulations to the nutrition information given at the MM website. Changing either the type or brand of flour or molasses (or molasses blend) would mean a different set of numbers to match the MM nutrition information.

In your case, with the Power flour, you might try the MM clone dough formulation set forth at Reply 2110 cited above because the Power flour has an above average rated absorption value for a high gluten flour, and it might benefit from the higher hydration value called for in Reply 2110. Also, you won't have to hunt down molasses products that are not available on most supermarket shelves. The Grandma's molasses, while not perfect for crust coloration purposes, is perhaps good enough for your purposes and is available just about everywhere.

To the above, I would add that there is nothing wrong with trying the MM#7 formulation. However, it calls for a specific type and brand of molasses--the Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses--that may be hard to find in supermarkets.

I do not believe that any member has tried and posted results using the two formulations referenced above. But it would be nice to see either of the formulations leads to improved results based on their matches to the MM nutrition information. Even then, the matches might not be perfect because a home oven is not the equal of a commercial oven.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Peter

Peter,

I too am late to the party, and have done my research but still have a few questions. I am about to buy the ingredients for the recipes posted in Reply #2110 and MM #7 in Reply #834 since the only different ingredients are the molasses and flour. Luckily, I found the flours for a relatively cheap price (compared to amazon) at http://store.thepizzabible.com/ so I will probably pick them up from there. So now on to the questions. Please forgive me if some of them are very novice, as I am very new to this. Feel free to read my introduction post which shows how new I am.

Regarding the ingredients, how important is the spring water? And what do you use, because when I google spring water, I basically get bottled water claiming to be spring water but I feel like 99% of the time its just tap water with bad marketing.

I was planning on following your instructions listed in your Papa John's reverse engineering effort, and I was wondering what I could do if I wanted to avoid the 5 day fermentation in the fridge. After I knead the dough with the KitchenAid, can I get straight to using it, or do I need to give it some time to rise? How long?

Thanks,
Alex

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2154 on: March 15, 2016, 03:51:38 PM »
Alex,

My usual drinking water is whatever spring water is sold at my local supermarkets. The last jugs I purchased were from Wal-Mart, where the label says that the water came from Samantha Springs in Keller, TX, and was treated by ozonation.  I think tap water should work although I don't use it because I don't like the taste.

In MM's case, they started way back with Georgia spring water. But when they expanded across the country, where it was likely at some point that they would have to use something other than Georgia spring water, or maybe they couldn't get enough Georgia spring water to meet their growing needs as they expanded, they simply stated spring water. I personally think that the use of spring water was mostly a marketing measure that MM decided to stick with. It is like the famous pizzerias and chains that like to talk about the secret family dough and sauce recipes that were handed down through multiple generations of family members who lived in Italy. Everything has changed but the stories live on in perpetuity.

With respect to the Papa John's dough recipe you mentioned, I came to see that it was hard for members to try to replicate a dough that has spent from five to eight days in the refrigerator. So, I created several other versions that needed far less time in the refrigerator. But, before posting those other versions, I had to satisfy myself that the results were credible clones of the Papa John's pizzas. One example you might look at is the version at Reply 20 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg59217#msg59217. That is a two-day version. If you are more interested in a one-day version, see Reply 31 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg60076#msg60076. Noting your introductory post, and true to form, my write-ups are, indeed, like white papers. However, that hasn't seemed to scare people off :-D. In fact, I think that most people, and certainly beginners, prefer as much detail as you can give them.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2155 on: June 08, 2016, 02:52:08 PM »
A while back, while Norma and I were discussing frozen dough balls, she was nice enough to give me a couple of links to materials that discuss, among other things, how to handle the MM frozen dough balls at the store level. I found the material quite detailed and interesting and thought that it might be a good idea to note them in this thread, given its purpose of trying to reverse engineer and clone the Mellow Mushroom doughs.

The links are as follows:

http://mellowmushroom.com/sites/default/files/MM%202%20Stage%20Frozen%20Dough%20Guideline_0.pdf

http://mellowmushroom.com/sites/default/files/BOH%20LAMINATES%203.1.16.pdf

Peter