Author Topic: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza  (Read 223872 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza
« Reply #760 on: August 25, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »
Bob,

When you discuss chain pizza, and especially the big four, the narrative is different than for the pizzas sold by independents and artisan pizza makers. And in the big chain arena, Papa John's regularly scores well in the surveys of consumers. Also, as I have noted before on many occasions, I think that the people who make PJ clones as discussed in this thread will end up with better pizzas than sold by PJ.

Peter
Ok Peter...whatever. You did not address either of my statements/questions and that is prolly just as well.  :)

You do make a mean, popular PJ clone though from what the responses show...I dig that man.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #761 on: August 25, 2014, 10:31:03 PM »
Ok Peter...whatever. You did not address either of my statements/questions and that is prolly just as well.  :)

Bob,

I did not specifically address the "better ingredients, better pizza" issue because that issue was litigated in 1997 when Pizza Hut brought suit against Papa John's over the use of that slogan. Unfortunately, Pizza Hut was unable to prove that consumers relied on the slogan in making purchasing decisions. As a result of that decision, I have always viewed the slogan as just a slogan without meaning. You can read a brief summary of the decision at http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa_John's_Pizza .

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #762 on: August 25, 2014, 10:51:41 PM »
Bob,

I did not specifically address the "better ingredients, better pizza" issue because that issue was litigated in 1997 when Pizza Hut brought suit against Papa John's over the use of that slogan. Unfortunately, Pizza Hut was unable to prove that consumers relied on the slogan in making purchasing decisions. As a result of that decision, I have always viewed the slogan as just a slogan without meaning. You can read a brief summary of the decision at http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papa_John's_Pizza .

Peter
Do you think anything will ever be done about the marketing that joints like PJ and PH get away with in purporting to be `healthy` ingredients, along with their cheap price to all the single moms that purchase that crap 2 to 3 times a week and are raising obese kids....we all have to contribute big tax dollars because of this problem.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #763 on: August 26, 2014, 09:20:57 AM »
Do you think anything will ever be done about the marketing that joints like PJ and PH get away with in purporting to be `healthy` ingredients, along with their cheap price to all the single moms that purchase that crap 2 to 3 times a week and are raising obese kids....we all have to contribute big tax dollars because of this problem.
Bob,

In general, all companies--not just pizza chains like Papa John's and Pizza Hut--have to be very careful about making health claims. There are now so many people out there, like the Food Babe, and many other watchdog organizations that watch what food companies say and do that the companies have learned to be more careful about what they say for fear that they may be sued and possibly harmed by the attendant bad publicity that can easily go viral in today's Internet world. In fact, a while back, Tom Lehmann gave me links to some articles that discussed claims that were made, and settled, against food companies for saying things that didn't strike me as being particularly egregious. Of course, companies like Papa John's and Pizza Hut will promote the quality of the ingredients used to make their pizzas, just as they have always done. But, as best I can tell, they don't make health claims.

I think it is also important to keep in mind that in our system of capitalism the owners and employees of food companies, including the pizza chains, are rewarded for increasingly pushing more product out the door. That is one of the reasons why portion sizes are so large in restaurants. The companies owe no duty to tell diners or consumers to exercise restraint in their eating habits or to exercise or take any other measures to work off the excess calories. And from the restraint standpoint we have clearly failed as a nation, as evidenced by the fact that the U.S. is now the first or second "fattest" nation in the world (Mexico owns the other spot), with a lot of the blame being placed on the increasingly high carbohydrate diets of people as a consequence of trying to reduce the amount of fat in the diet. So, it isn't just companies like Papa John's and Pizza Hut. Eventually, we all end up paying for health issues related to obesity, through our premiums and taxes. There is no individual responsibility or accountability. And all of the polls clearly show that people to not want to be told what to eat, and especially if the government tries to do that.

I will close this post by noting that after several years of increasing obesity in children, the rate of obesity in children has started to abate. But it is still too early to identify the reasons for the decline and whether the decline is just a blip that is likely to reverse again.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #764 on: September 11, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
I cheated, but made something like a PJ cookie.  For this cookie I used my cake pan.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #765 on: September 11, 2014, 09:34:30 PM »
Nice cookie, cookie.  :chef:

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #766 on: September 11, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »
Norma,

Your cookie looks good. How did it compare with your clone PJ Mega Chocolate Chip Cookies?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #767 on: September 11, 2014, 10:05:03 PM »
Nice cookie, cookie.  :chef:

Norma,

Your cookie looks good. How did it compare with your clone PJ Mega Chocolate Chip Cookies?

Peter

Bob and Peter, Thanks!

The cookie was very good, but not nearly as good as Peter's clone PJ Mega Chocolate Chip Cookie.  The cookie I made tonight is really soft but the chocolate chips are not nearly as good as the ones you said to use.  When I went to pick up flour today I thought I would purchase some frozen chocolate chip dough, and then try it in a cake pan to see what would happen.  I have been thinking of offering a PJ Mega Chocolate Chip Cookie at market, but I don't have enough space to store more ingredients at market.  I worried about storing chocolate chips in the warm temperatures at market too.  Also those aluminum pans are fairly expensive.

I want to thank Peter for going through all the trouble of coming up with the clone PF Mega Chocolate Chip  Cookie.  I learned how to make a cookie pizza from you.

These are two photos of what I used.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JasonT

« Reply #768 on: Yesterday at 05:03:41 PM »
Pete,

Is there a way to ensure that the crust of my pizza is thick every time?

It seems like some of my pies will only have half of the crust rise nice and thick around the rim, while the other side doesn't seem to rise as much.