Author Topic: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza  (Read 287703 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza
« Reply #875 on: Yesterday at 12:53:52 PM »
After my last post I wondered why I had come away with the impression that PJ was telling the world that it used 100% mozzarella cheese. I am usually very thorough with my research, so that troubled me more than anything. So, I repeated the search that I had originally conducted on this matter. In doing this, I found two items that I had seen before but did not cite after I found what turned out to be the Malaysian website. I believe that the two items cited below are of a domestic PJ nature and where the 100% mozzarella cheese comments are made.

See, for example, the SIGNATURE CHEESE tagline at http://www.papajohns.com/franchise/why-franchise-with-papa-johns.shtm and the PJ United website at http://mypapajohns.com/Cheese.htm.

Maybe I am still missing something (for example, the PJ United website looks like it might be old) but I replied to the PJ response by citing the above links.

Peter

Online vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #876 on: Today at 12:02:36 AM »
Their 'signature, proprietary cheese' is "Crafted from 100% mozzarella" and "made with 100% mozzarella" (plus the other stuff, of course ::) ). Labels by lawyers...
« Last Edit: Today at 12:33:07 AM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust. :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #877 on: Today at 08:24:49 AM »
Their 'signature, proprietary cheese' is "Crafted from 100% mozzarella" and "made with 100% mozzarella" (plus the other stuff, of course ::) ). Labels by lawyers...
Steve,

Believe me, I am ever mindful of that. A lot of companies like to hide the weenie but this is not the best time to use that practice. There are too any people out their looking at everything with magnifying glasses.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #878 on: Today at 12:18:45 PM »
I hadn't mentioned it earlier, but right after I sent my initial email to PJ on the 100% mozzarella cheese matter, I also sent an inquiry on the same matter to the FDA. I had long been aware of the fact that there is a standard of identity for mozzarella cheese and how that might affect what a particular mozzarella cheese product is called. As an example, I alluded to the standard of identity matter a while back in another thread and how legalities can enter the equation at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32080.msg317782#msg317782. So, in sending my inquiry to the FDA, my hope was is that I would either get a clarifyng response from the FDA or at least learn something new.

The response I got from the FDA cited the section of the code that applies to mozzarella cheese, to wit:

Response:  In order for mozzarella cheese to be called "mozzarella cheese" it has to meet the specifications in the Code of Federal Regulations CFR 133.

The ingredient information that you found on their website is just a list of it's ingredients.  As long as the mozzarella cheese meets the definition for mozzarella cheese as seen in CFR 133.155, it can still be called mozzarella cheese.

I had long been aware of the cited FDA regulation, but since the response did not specifically address the 100% mozzarella cheese issue, I reframed my original question and resubmitted it. This morning, I received the following reply:

Response:  If the mozzarella cheese fits the definition of mozzarella cheese in CFR 133.155 (as mentioned in the first email) it would be considered 100% mozzarella cheese.

My interpretation of the statutory language for mozzarella cheese, including the definitions of milk at Part 133 at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title21-vol2/pdf/CFR-2012-title21-vol2-part133.pdf, is that the mozzarella cheese blend that PJ uses does not qualify as 100% mozzarella cheese. The reason for this is that the statute does not permit one to add modified food starch, sugarcane fiber, whey protein concentrate, sodium citrate, and sodium propionate to a basic mozzarella cheese and call the blend 100% mozzarella cheese. This is not a new revelation. Yesterday, PJ told me that they could not call their cheese blend 100% mozzarella cheese because it is a non-standard of identity cheese (NSOI) cheese.

I will await with interest a further reply from PJ on the above matter. Since they already gave me the answer, they may not respond further and continue to hide behind their ambiguous and slippery cheese descriptions.

Peter

pizzapan