Author Topic: Dont know where to post this - so I figured OTHER - this is my recipe  (Read 2422 times)

Offline netdata

I apologize if this is not the appropriate topic area. I am new here so please don't flame me.

My name is Allen, I am a game designer from Florida, I am 28 years old, I have been cooking
and baking all my life, and I stumbled upon this forum. I didn't want to just troll so here goes:

I still remember when I was a kid and in the mid 80s getting a deep dish from Dominoes,
we were in Kentucky and dirt poor - too poor to pay attention - so poor we had to borrow
spit to chew. So we never got to have pizza very often, after that pizza it's been one of
my favorite things, its sad that you can't get them like that anymore, but anyways I digress.

As a computer jockey, pizza is a staple food.  I accidentally discovered this recipe, so I hope you like it,
its my own recipe so please don't take credit for it, I think it's sort of unique.

Backstory:

My fiancee is from New Mexico, her grandparents are from Mexico, they adopted her white dad
at a early age, so she has grown up enjoying all the foods New Mexico has to offer, especially
fresh delicious peppers of all varieties, and one of the foods she was accustomed to was the Sopapilla.

The Sopapilla is traditionally a dessert food, but in this recipe it will serve as our pizza crust.

The Recipe:

"The New Mexican"

The Crust:
Note: You can optionally add 1 packet of the quick active yeast as a slight variation of his recipe.

4 cups of bread or all purpose flour (depending on how you like your flour, you can also use noodle flour
if you prefer) I use Pillsbury Bread Flour
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
4 Tablespoons Shortening (adjust according to texture preference always less but never more than 4)
1 1/2 cup very warm water
1 tsp olive oil (optional, I have found that it works with or without, recently I leave it out)

If you prefer herbs in your crust you can also add a dash of your favorite Italian Seasoning.

Dump Flour into bowl (you will need a good size bowl), add baking powder, salt and then shortening.
Add your warm water make sure it is hot to the touch. Start mixing with a fork until you have it
dry enough to start hand kneading, or you can toss in a bread maker on the knead setting for a few moments. It should have a very nice consistancy, not too runny not too dry.

I dont let the dough rise the full 20 mins, I let it sit about 5-10 minutes, work on it with my hands
afterwards, smack the dough and pat it out, I usually hand roll the dough 3 minutes or so,
the warmth of your hands will help bring the doughs temperature up.

The Sauce:

1 small can tomato paste
2-3 tsp of italian seasoning mix (parsley, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, etc)
1-2 tsp garlic powder or freshly but finely chopped garlic (pulverized)
1 spritz of either canned tomato sauce or V8 juice to help liquify the tomato paste slightly
1 tsp of Red Rose - Red Wine
1-2 pinches of salt
1 pinch of spicy mrs. dash

Take a small bowl, add the tomato paste and the tomato sauce, mix with spoon until the
sauce has a thick but NOT runny consistancy, add the wine but not enough to make it runny,
let the tomato sauce sit for a minute so the ph has time to settle,  lay this down on the pizza dough,
salt the sauce, add the italian seasonings, garlic and sprinkle on the mrs. dash.

The toppings:

Genova Hard Slami
Pepporoni
Musherooms
Olives (optional)
4 cheese mix of Mozerella, Montery Jack, Blanco (Mexican Cheese), Parmessian

To add a more Sicilian twist you can also add some Italian Sausage and perhaps some
Canadian Bacon, layer the toppings on to suit your tastes.

I hope you guys enjoy this recipe, please feel free to post your improvements, I would love
to hear feedback on it.  :chef:

Offline netdata

Ammendum
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »
I have updated this recipe, now instead of 4 cups of the same kind of flour,
use either 3 cups all purpose (or 2 cups all purpose 1 cup self rising) and add 1 cup of biscuit
mix (such as Bisquick or generic mix)

It really improves the crust and DO NOT use shortening. I stopped adding shortening and
add about 1-2 Tablespoons of canola oil. NEVER add butter.

You can also try an emulsification process and add a few squirts of spray on cooking oil.

pizzapan