Author Topic: Appian Way Pizza mix has changed their recipe! Oh the horror!  (Read 14977 times)

Offline Cyndisue

:o

Does anyone remember the Appian Way pizza mix? It was the pizza of my childhood, and the sauce was quite delicious (unlike some of the other boxed pizza mixes).

I have ordered it off the internet for several years now. My latest package arrived and I noticed that the packaging was changed, and then immediately could tell they had changed the sauce recipe. It now tastes horrible, like Ragu.

Does anyone have any idea why they would change such a classic?

Heartbroken in Nashville,

Cyndi

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: Appian Way Pizza mix has changed their recipe! Oh the horror!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 04:32:45 PM »
I remember the Appian Way pizza mix.  I must have tried that some time in the late 70's or early 80's.  I don't have much recollection of the outcome.  I don't remember using it more than once or twice, so I must not have thought much of it.  :-D

I haven't thought of that product in decades.  I can't remember the last time I even saw a box.

How has the sauce changed?  You say it is like Ragu (pizza sauce?) and therefore judge it to be a bad thing.  Can you compare and contrast the differences to help us who don't remember or never tried it to understand what has changed?
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Liz1388

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »
Hi!  Newbie to the forum.  I hope you don't mind my barging in on this thread?   :pizza:

I happened to be reminiscing today with a friend about pizza days of yore and was reminded of Appian Way pizza from my childhood (50's/60's)   Appian Way sauce was always my favorite.  I haven't found any I like as well. 

I assumed the company had gone out of business but decided to google.  Lo and behold it is still sold! 

A link to this thread sounded intriguing.  Since it was recent, I came on in and registered so I could join in.   I am sorry to hear that they have just changed the recipe for the sauce.  What a coincidence that they'd do it just before I rediscovered it.  Must be due to the rising cost of some key ingredients? 

I wonder if we could write to the company and get their recipe for the old version so we could make some at home.

Again, sorry for barging in.   :-\  I can't say I'll keep up with the forum - I hope that doesn't make me something of a troll?  I love pizza, but not sure I have the inclination to really explore it at a deeper level, so to speak.   ::)
Liz

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:35:18 PM »
:o
I have ordered it off the internet for several years now. My latest package arrived and I noticed that the packaging was changed,
Do you order it from this place I linked too? If not, over on the right hand side is a pic of the box. HTH
http://www.hometownfavorites.com/products.asp?dept=1037&number=HFST101&pagenumber=1
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 10:28:07 PM »
Old thread, sorry......
A.W. was such a great pizza. I would make it like they showed on the box---no mozzarella and a bit of grated cheese. LOVED it. When I tried it recently, it was crap. I know it wasn't a matter of my memory failing me. The sauce was good, and tomato-y. Now, it is orange and gel-like. As if food starch was added. Does anyone know what happened? Are there any reasonable facsimiles?

pizzapan