Author Topic: 2Stone high temperature ovens  (Read 46778 times)

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
Re: 2Stone high temperature ovens
« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2008, 01:47:23 AM »
John

Those pizzas are even better that what you posted last time!  Beautiful!

That piece of metal actually goes on the propane burner frame, centered above the burner on the frame itself to divert the flames a little.  My first reaction was the same as yours... I put it under the lower stone to protect it from the pin, but Willard corrected me.  When you put it even lower, it helps to spread the flames so that the heat is more even.  Works good for me!  DH LOVES the pizzas I have made!  And it only gets better!

I will be posting the pics from his birthday pizzas shortly... like probably tomorrow!  MMMM.... they were EXCELLENT!!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2008, 05:52:47 PM »
much, much appreciate the info.....can't wait for the next batch now

John

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2008, 07:32:27 PM »
Had the pleasure of having lunch with Mark (one of the owners of the company that manufactures the Fibrament baking stones) He's on vacation this week by the lake not far from us so we were able to hook up.
It's always nice to meet someone face to face that you have talked with on the phone many times. I had someone shoot a picture with my cell phone so excuse the poor quality. (that's Mark on the right)

Thought you might find it interesting to see one of the main faces behind the
"Fibrament Stones" that many of you use. 

Willard
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:34:38 PM by 2stone »
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2008, 08:49:59 PM »
Willard,

Did the conversation go well? You both are making fists and look like you are going to fight about any Fibrament price increases he is hitting you up for.

LOL

Kidding

PNW

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2008, 10:10:03 PM »
DH's birthday was last week, so he requested PIZZA for dinner!! Not a big surprise, really!
Here's the first two... one more below!

He had his choice of toppings for three pizzas... so, the first one was Hunts tomato sauce with basil, garlic and oregano, Polly-O whole milk mozz, prosciutto and fresh mushroom.

The second one was the usual "kitchen sink" variety... same for sauce and cheese, but pepperoni, black olive, onion and green pepper. I also added a few grinds of pecorino romano after I took the pic.

I also baked these pizzas in quick succession rather than waiting between while we partially devour the first one and I shape and dress the second one... so I didn't give the oven as much time to recover. Also, we have a device in line on the tank to measure the contents. I think it is fouled and needs to come off. Not only is it not giving correct readings (I know by the weight that the tank is NOT empty!) plus I don't seem to be getting the volume of gas I usually get, so the oven didn't get as hot. These pizza baked at just over 600 instead of my usual 750. But it still goes to show that even at lower temps, I was able to get a nice bake. These were also made with JerryMac's same-day dough but sans sugar this time. This also made the crusts brown more slowly, but I couldn't tell any difference in the flavor. All in all, I will leave the honey in next time... and make sure that the pyro set-up is working properly! These were still absolutely delicious, but I would have liked a little more crispiness to the crust. DH didn't notice the difference at all... he just did his Homer Simpson impression.... MMMMMMMM......PIZZA!

~sd

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2008, 10:14:11 PM »
This one, he wanted "extra cheese"... so I put fresh, thinly sliced tomatoes, fresh mozz (a new brand, Mozzarella Fresca, that I don't like as much as the Precious) imported fontina and a little of the Polly-O with a little EVOO and fresh basil. It was cheese overkill! I usually put 4- 5 oz on a pizza and this one had at least twice that! It was the last pizza baked and I think the cheese, even though it was close to room temp by the time I used it still cooled the already-cool 2stone down a bit more and the thin crust in the middle didn't get as crisp as usual and you can see it looks a bit anemic! BUT, it was STILL delicious!  And, DH-the-cheese-troll was a happy man!

I also baked one baguette, for which the temp of the oven was perfect! The crust was crisp and brown, the crumb cool and silky. Perfect! DH got a nice ham sandwich on half of it the next day for his lunch. (I got the other half!!)

~sd

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2008, 11:01:15 PM »
Mots,

You're bread's insane! Looks fantastic.  Kudos to you!! :chef:

And so does the pizza but you're right...with that much cheese it could have benefited from a hotter temp.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2008, 11:31:32 PM »
Thanks, Mike!
Yeah, the bread was really good... I learned pretty quickly to keep the loaves at under 7 oz. ea so I can get them out of the 2stone!  And, yes, the cheese pizza would have been fine if baked at a higher temp.  And, next time, I will go back to my normal amount of cheese!

~mots aka sd

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2008, 11:42:42 PM »
Mots,

You can pile it up any way you want, and I'd be damned if they all don't come out fine.   :)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline TikiGod

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2008, 09:52:04 PM »
Hello Everybody,
I've been reading this forum for a long time, and have been making pizza in my oven for a few years now. After reading everything about the 2Stone, I bit the bullet and bought one for my Genesis Grill. I bought the 15", and Willard was very, very helpful. This was my first try at the new unit - Bob's Red AP flour, IDY, Kosher salt and water - same day ferment. Deck temp was 775F, and the Pizza cooked in 3 minutes. 250 gram skin,  Bionature Italian Tomatoes, Grande whole milk mozz in slices, sprinkle of Parm and Percorino, Feta, Roasted Red Peppers, Kalamata Olives and sliced Onions. Needless to say, the 2Stone works beautifully. I am a Brewmaster by trade, and my background is Organic Chemistry, so i approached the 2Stone like a lab, and it worked quite a charm....Best. Pizza. Ever.....
Jamie

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »
Hello Everyone:

Have not posted for a while but have continued to make pizza on the 2Stone - going on 10 months now of using it. Have been able to enjoy home made pizza pizza through the hot southern summer which was impossible previously.

Picture is from this afternoon - 100% Caputo 00 cooked at 820 degrees

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2008, 05:55:11 PM »
Hello Everybody,
I've been reading this forum for a long time, and have been making pizza in my oven for a few years now. After reading everything about the 2Stone, I bit the bullet and bought one for my Genesis Grill. I bought the 15", and Willard was very, very helpful. This was my first try at the new unit - Bob's Red AP flour, IDY, Kosher salt and water - same day ferment. Deck temp was 775F, and the Pizza cooked in 3 minutes. 250 gram skin,  Bionature Italian Tomatoes, Grande whole milk mozz in slices, sprinkle of Parm and Percorino, Feta, Roasted Red Peppers, Kalamata Olives and sliced Onions. Needless to say, the 2Stone works beautifully. I am a Brewmaster by trade, and my background is Organic Chemistry, so i approached the 2Stone like a lab, and it worked quite a charm....Best. Pizza. Ever.....
Jamie
Tiki - Pizza looks great! The only observation I have is that with a 775 temperature on the stone and three minutes baking a 250 gram skin, it would be burnt to a crisp for me. I am using the same set up as you. We use different flour (100% Caputo or a mix of Caputo & BF), but I can't see how that would account for a 1 minute difference. How are you measuring deck temp?

Just curious about the above, does not really matter if you can make a great pizza!

PNW

Offline TikiGod

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2008, 07:46:36 PM »
Hey PNW,
I bought an infrared thermometer after reading all these threads....I figured that it is a requirement before using the 2Stone. I did the pre-heat with the lid down, and as soon as the deck hit 750, I put in the 1st pizza (pre-heat was 18 minutes - ambient temp was 74). I left the lid cracked open using the 2stone lid prop, and I ended up cooking 4 pizzas total. After each one was pulled, I closed the lid, and  I was careful to re-measure the deck before each pizza went in. As the cooking progressed, the deck got hotter till the last one at 775. I checked the deck after I pulled the last one, and it was 740, so I did lose some heat as it cooked. But, it worked great!....
Jamie

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2008, 08:58:55 PM »
Hey PNW,
I bought an infrared thermometer after reading all these threads....I figured that it is a requirement before using the 2Stone. I did the pre-heat with the lid down, and as soon as the deck hit 750, I put in the 1st pizza (pre-heat was 18 minutes - ambient temp was 74). I left the lid cracked open using the 2stone lid prop, and I ended up cooking 4 pizzas total. After each one was pulled, I closed the lid, and  I was careful to re-measure the deck before each pizza went in. As the cooking progressed, the deck got hotter till the last one at 775. I checked the deck after I pulled the last one, and it was 740, so I did lose some heat as it cooked. But, it worked great!....
Jamie
You and everyone else gets faster warm up times than I do. Willard and I worked on that for awhile, I had the Weber rebuilt with all new parts 1.5 times and I have learned to live with it. Two minutes usually bakes a pie for me @ 750 with a pretty good char to it. I guess it must be that the dough formula differences do matter a lot.

What part of the country are you a "brewmaster" in? I just took up the brewing hobby and have a batch of IPA going at the moment. Trying to decide if I should move to a kegerator instead of the bottle for future batches.

Enjoy the 2stone - give the Caputo a try as it was made for the high temps.

PNW

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2008, 09:35:42 PM »
TikiGod and FVG,

Those pizzas look GREAT!!  I've been using my 2stone since the middle of June... and the pizzas just get better as I learn and try different things!

And yeah, I agree that you really need an IR thermometer... can't really do it right unless you KNOW that the stone temp is HIGH!

Thanks for keeping me hungry for pizza!

~sd

buceriasdon

« Reply #155 on: August 11, 2008, 07:25:30 PM »
This is not a wood fired oven, clearly one can see the gas burners. Question? Why post this this pic as a wood fired oven?
       Don

Willard,

The size of the legs that we can buy already measure 14.5 inches. I would like at least another 6 inches. The design that is already available works really well. Simple and effective. So I wouldn't reinvent the wheel. What I am looking for is the ability to sit in a regular outside chair and monitor the bake. Remember that I am still baking in the 1 1/2 inch tin plated steel pans, so the room to see the pizza baking is limited but I have no problem so far. It is just uncomfortable with the oven so low to the ground. Even with the extentions. Which are a joke, if you need more height.You might consider designing the legs with an option to adjust them to a height of each owners preference. But that might be to complicated. You could consider selling different heights of leg extentions so the individual owner could try out the height and see if it works out to his or her preference. Each owner will be of a different body type and what would be comfortable for me might be not so comforatable to another. But this leg extention thing needs to be addressed and solved. With your skill set that should be so easy and another profit area for you.

As Larry the cable guy says, Get-R-Done.  ;)

Let me know when you do. I will be the first in line to buy the longer leg extentions.

MWTC  :chef:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:27:02 PM by buceriasdon »

buceriasdon

« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2008, 07:29:08 PM »
Well it`s clear I don`t know how to post pertaining to a single post. Now I remember why I don`t like forum formats. Sorry. Ignore. Don
This is not a wood fired oven, clearly one can see the gas burners. Question? Why post this this pic as a wood fired oven?
       Don

Offline TikiGod

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2008, 04:42:08 PM »
You and everyone else gets faster warm up times than I do. Willard and I worked on that for awhile, I had the Weber rebuilt with all new parts 1.5 times and I have learned to live with it. Two minutes usually bakes a pie for me @ 750 with a pretty good char to it. I guess it must be that the dough formula differences do matter a lot.

What part of the country are you a "brewmaster" in? I just took up the brewing hobby and have a batch of IPA going at the moment. Trying to decide if I should move to a kegerator instead of the bottle for future batches.

Enjoy the 2stone - give the Caputo a try as it was made for the high temps.

PNW

Hey PNW,
I have a Natural Gas Genesis, so it does get hot pretty fast. I got rid of my propane when they went to those "safety" tanks....it was like they cut out 50% of the heat! So, I am the Brewmaster at Full Sail in Hood River, OR. And, go for the kegerator, you will never look back, and you'll make more beer, because packaging is easier!
Jamie

Offline TikiGod

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2008, 03:10:17 PM »
Hello everybody,
Here is tonight's Pizza. A little higher hydration dough, Bionature Italian Tomatoes, Grande whole milk mozz, sprinkle of Parm and Percorino with mushrooms, olives, and arugula pesto. Deck temp was 780 and the pizza was cooked in 3 minutes. Next week, I'm going to go up a bit on temp......
Jamie

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »
Had my nose to the grindstone for a while, haven't had a chance to post much.

PNW,

Mark's a real nice guy and yes I do try to beat him up but never really get anywhere so we didn't get into that too much. They really do make a great product though and are real nice people to deal with. I think the fist clenching had more to do with the fact that we were getting very tired of "striking a pose" since the guy who we asked to take the picture was having a hard time figuring out how my cell phone worked.

Mike,

I'm going to cut down on the fresh yeast a bit and take another stab at it. I think I had too much last
time and the dough balls blew after 3 days. So I'll try half as much this time and see.

sdgirl and FVG

Your pizza's are approaching Picasso levels....... "seriously"

Jamie,

You really came out of the gate in full force....BEAUTIFUL PIES!
I think it would be really neat if you could enlighten us all on the similarities between dough fermentation and beer brewing. I have often thought that they share many of the same elements, and learning to understand them is probably essential to the flavor of the crust.

regards,
willard

2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com