Author Topic: 2Stone high temperature ovens  (Read 47318 times)

Offline MWTC

Re: 2Stone high temperature ovens
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2008, 11:11:35 PM »
Tonights pizza with 5% Buttermilk Powder.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2008, 02:13:44 AM »
Hi, all!
I REALLY love seeing all the pics of your pizzas!!  I have taken delivery of my new 2stone oven... DH went out today and picked up the Bayou Classic SQ14... and amazon.com delivered my Raytek MT6 today!  DH is going to pick up some cement blocks to bring it to a better height for my messed up back, so, it is time to make some "junk dough" to practice with before I use the expensive toppings and such!  I know there is going to be a learning curve using temps above 550o, so I want to do some experimenting before I figure on pizza for dinner.... and then burn the crap out of it!  heh!!

Would love to hear any input/advice before I begin this new journey!  And Seattle temps are supposed to be in the mid-high 80s this weekend, so what better time to start playing!!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2008, 02:18:18 AM »
Hey, MWTC,
What did you think of the buttermilk powder?  I usually keep a container of the Saco in the fridge but never thought of putting it in pizza crust...  but your photo certainly looks good!

Pros?  Cons?  I'm certainly curious!

~sd

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2008, 07:51:58 AM »
Hey Michael

Your pizza looks fabulous How long does it take to bake in the pan? -willard
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2008, 09:40:34 AM »

What did you think of the buttermilk powder?  I usually keep a container of the Saco in the fridge but never thought of putting it in pizza crust...

sourdough girl,

At one time, before it went to frozen dough, Pizza Hut used a "dairy blend" in its pan dough that included buttermilk, dairy whey and nonfat milk. Since they were part of a dry mix to be prepared in their stores, presumably the milk products were all baker's grade and in dry form. From what I was able to find about the dairy blend, it balanced out the overall flavor profile, provided a dairy flavor, aided in browning, and aided in the achieving the proper pH of the system (this description was from Land O' Lakes, one source for such a product). It's possible that PH is still using the dairy blend--or something similar--in those places, mostly outside of the U.S., where PH still makes dough fresh in their stores. The frozen dough now includes only dairy whey.

For more about buttermilk in pizza dough, see also Tom Lehmann's post at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=24428#24428.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:43:23 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »

Would love to hear any input/advice before I begin this new journey!  And Seattle temps are supposed to be in the mid-high 80s this weekend, so what better time to start playing!!

~sd

SDG

Caputo 00 is a perfect fit with the 2stone. I know that there is a source in Seattle for it.

PNW

Offline MWTC

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2008, 11:46:39 AM »
~sd

I liked the effect of the buttermilk powder. It is very subtle. A slight increase in volume, similar to using regular bakers grade dry milk with a very subtle buttery taste. It seems to soften the crumb slightly and move it slightly to the bready side. It is almost the same as BG dry milk with a slight twist. A twist to the better in my opinion. It should be great addition in your Sicilian style deep dish.

I am also noting that the bottom of the pie was darker with the same bake time. So I am experimenting with less stone warm up time, around the 16-18 minute mark. I use the 20 minute mark with dough without the addition of buttermilk powder, BG dry milk or dried whole egg powder. The addition of 2 minutes takes the stone from 600-625 degree mark to the 650-675 point. No doubt it makes a difference in the bake. I am also finding that with the stone temperature "right", I can increase the flame for the bake, at the insertion of the pie, to balance out the bake to my taste. This is the effect of the pizza baker upon the final outcome that we all come to understand with experience.

I am experimenting with the above mentioned ingredients to learn their effect upon the final result. This is something that has to be personally experienced to be able to produce a result that is that "cut above" that I am forging forward to produce. The above mentioned ingredients are just a small portion of options at our disposal as I am sure you understand. Tons of fun with a great reward at the end.

Good luck with your new oven, you will love it. I look forward to your pictures.

MWTC  :chef:

Offline MWTC

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2008, 11:56:10 AM »
Willard,

In my tin plated steel pan, it takes about 3-1/2 minutes at a stone temperature of 625 degrees. It depends if I am using a dough dressing or not. Most of the time I am using a basic dough dressing because I like the effect on the final result. I am also noting the effect of the above posts ingredients experiments on the bake times. It is taking longer to get the same effect but I am realizing that the stone temperature needs to be slightly less at insertion with and increase in flame at that point. The experimentation continues....

Do you mind me posting the pictures on your thread?

Offline MWTC

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2008, 01:26:14 AM »
With notes.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2008, 09:27:45 AM »
MWTC,

By all means post all the pictures and info on this thread, that's what it is for.
Just a thought you may want to post your notes on a separate pic so they are
more readable, or maybe it's just me....I'm transitioning from being near sighted,
to I don't know what, where nothing is easy to read anymore.

Regards,
Willard

Offline MWTC

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2008, 01:29:09 PM »
Isn't it suppose to be a little out of focus.

Via, pizzanapoletana.

;)

Offline MWTC

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2008, 02:01:14 AM »
2% Dry Whole Egg Powder.

Offline dikemiya

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2008, 02:29:39 AM »
I was looking at the new Inferno and like the new design!!

Just one question, i read in the description on the 2stone site that you can order the Inferno with the Bayou Burner.

So does this use the same burner that is required for the 2stone oven?

thanks

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2008, 09:00:12 AM »
MWTC,

Do you notice much of a difference in taste? It looks like it browned the crust a little more?

dikemiya,

Yes you can get it with or without the burner. The burner used is the SQ-14 burner (the one used with the 2stone oven), you can unscrew the burner from the SQ - 14 frame and move it to the Inferno if you have one and are upgrading from the oven.

regards,
willard

Offline MWTC

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2008, 12:51:01 PM »
I notice a little difference in taste. The major change is in texture, it has a slightly "eggy" texture, but it is very subtle. The dough is lighter and more airy and as you noted an increase in browning. Excellent dough.

My next experiment is to combine all three elements to see the combined effect. Bakers Grade Dry Milk @ 1.5%, Dry Buttermilk Powder @ 1.5% and Dried Whole Egg Powder @ 1%. The dough going into cold fermintation felt fantastic. The hydration is at 63% including all the above ingredients.

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2008, 02:47:16 PM »
Peter,
Thanks for the explanation and the link... very informative, as is your norm!

MWTC,
Thanks also for your comments.  I will keep the buttermilk powder in mind after I've flattened the learning curve a little!

PNW,
After I play with the flours I have on hand and see what results I get, I will certainly consider stepping up to Caputo Pizzeria 00.  Thanks for the input!  I will probably search out the most reasonable source for delivery as I'm not much into driving 40 miles into downtown Seattle for a bag (or two) of flour!

DH got the blocks... set the 2stone oven up on the Bayou Classic, hooked up the propane... and it was just too dang HOT here to cook anything.  So, unfortunately, DH decided that we should give the new Garlic Jim's Gourmet Pizza a try... and I am now thoroughly convinced that I will never buy pizzeria pizza again.  A full third of the pizza was bready crust which we both tossed back into the box.  It was almost as sweet as PJ's... and a little spicier.  Neither of us liked it... so the 2stone is getting revved up today since it is quite a bit cooler out (so far!)

Here's the first photo of the set-up!

~sd

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2008, 03:04:55 PM »
PNW,
After I play with the flours I have on hand and see what results I get, I will certainly consider stepping up to Caputo Pizzeria 00.  Thanks for the input!  I will probably search out the most reasonable source for delivery as I'm not much into driving 40 miles into downtown Seattle for a bag (or two) of flour!

DH got the blocks... set the 2stone oven up on the Bayou Classic, hooked up the propane... and it was just too dang HOT here to cook anything.  So, unfortunately, DH decided that we should give the new Garlic Jim's Gourmet Pizza a try... and I am now thoroughly convinced that I will never buy pizzeria pizza again.  A full third of the pizza was bready crust which we both tossed back into the box.  It was almost as sweet as PJ's... and a little spicier.  Neither of us liked it... so the 2stone is getting revved up today since it is quite a bit cooler out (so far!)

SD

It's a 3.5 hour drive to Seattle for me so I obviously don't do it for flour. It might be worth it for you to snag a 55lb bag of Caputo and freeze it. Should last you a bit. Good luck with the oven, I am a bit envious as I like the standalone unit over the pizza grill version I have.

Garlic Jim's opened here in Portland a few years ago. Walked in, looked, cringed walked out. The only multi store pizza in Portland worthy is a fresh out of the oven PIZZICATO pizza. My family will sneak some without me, I won't go because I make a better pizza blindfolded, almost!

PNW

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2008, 03:13:57 PM »
PNW,
Thanks for the 55 lb bag idea... and I just had another one... my son lives in the south end of the city.... hmmm... might not have to drive down there after all... and GREAT pizza would be a GREAT reward for his efforts!   ;D   >:D    He's a pizza junkie, just like his mother!

Off to get the dough started!

~sd

Offline MWTC

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2008, 05:03:27 PM »
Your set up looks almost like mine. I bet DH needed a masage after lifting those blocks. They sure are heavy. 

I use a light to see the pizza better at night as I end up baking later in the evening.  I am baking in a 1-1/2 tin plated steel pan so the light is necessary to see the pizza when baking. I keep the set up in the garage to keep it out of the rain.

I never let the weather slow down my developing pizza skills.  8)

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 05:08:36 PM by MWTC »

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2008, 08:37:06 PM »
Additional photos... of the "appetizer pizza" I made for last night's dinner...  I took a 7 oz dough ball (made 4 of them from the JerryMac recipe since I know how that tastes made in my home oven with stone) stretched it out to about 9" and coated all but a half-inch rim with EVOO... and slid it onto the stone which was at about 650o F.  Didn't time how long it was in there, just pulled it out when it was nicely browned, which was probably about 3 minutes.  Then, I put several spoonsfull of a mixed olive bruschetta topping on it... and it was GOOD!  DH ate most of it... crust included because it was thin, crisp and airy!

The other 3 dough balls went into the fridge in oiled bags... and I realized this morning that I had forgotten the salt!  I knew the crust tasted bland, but... sheesh!  So, going against all the rules, I pulled them out and worked in an appropriate amount of salt, ATTEMPTED to ball them up and then put them back into the bags and left them on the counter all day.... they are rising well and do not look over-proofed, so I'm going to bake them tonight!  I know it is not the optimal condition, but I REAALLY don't want to waste the dough... and I REAAAALLLY want to experiment. 

And, tonight, I will turn the oven on high... I was hesitant last night... but this time, I'm goin' for it!  I want to bake at ~750...

~sd

pizzapan