Author Topic: 2Stone high temperature ovens  (Read 46455 times)

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
2Stone high temperature ovens
« on: May 13, 2008, 09:13:18 AM »
Continuation of the "Reverse Engineered coal fired brick oven" thread

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5541.0.html
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
Re: 2Stone high temperature ovens
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:39:31 PM »
Quote by Tony:
I was checking out the 2-stone. I have an older Genesis 1000 series Weber that still works great. I saw one of your pizzas made with caputo and you said that it was cooked at 800-1000 is that because of the 2-stone oven or do you have a grill that reaches that temperature? ???Can mine reach that temperature with your stone.

Hi Tony,

The Older Genesis are hit and miss. I have some reports
of them being very hot but mostly the main thing is the hood won't
close on some models with the 15" 2stone innside. This is not a problem for some
and others would rather that it closes. So most likely if you want to be 100%
sure the 13" will fit and with the grill skirt should do fine. If not, you always have
the option of upgrading to the oven since that is the same grill inside the oven casing.
As a rule though even the older Genesis grills tend to be on the hotter side than others.

Hope that helps.

Willard
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 03:22:55 PM by 2stone »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »
I have been hard at work going through the
"Reverse Engineered Coal Fired Brick Oven" thread.
It was a real job, but I hope it is helpful to anyone looking.
Thank you so much.... all who posted your reviews for others to see.

I Organized the information in a easier to read way, since people
ask me for this information all the time. Here are the reviews and
comments from the forum members   www.2stonepizzagrill.com

If there are any mistakes please let me know.

regards,
willard

Scott (I need to link the graphs to higher resolution ones)

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »
Willard,

Nice summary on your site - One suggestion - use the spell checker!

More important - please think more about the Weber handle heat. OUCH did it again, 2 kids, 4 visiting kids, 7 pizza's, one pizza hungry dog and one martini - I forget to put the gloves back on for one pizza.

PNW

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 04:01:09 PM »
PNW,

Thanks, That's what I like about this forum, nobody misses a beat.
I would make a bad English teacher! look at Canadianbacons videos.
would something along those lines work, maybe on one side.

willard

sorry sdg. need to have a talking with my son, he did it!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 04:09:01 PM by 2stone »

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 04:50:04 PM »
Willard,

Can you point me to the video?

PNW

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 04:55:11 PM »
it's at the bottom of the reviews,
He did a bunch of them.

willard

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 09:45:23 PM »
MWTC,

I have ordered inn the materials to start prototyping a stand for the Bayou. I just talked to someone else today and he said he was getting tired of standing on his knees to tend the pies. I didn't realize the Bayou extensions were so low. Do you have any idea what the optimum hight should be.

willard

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 03:13:32 AM »
Willard,

this might give you some idea of the height. It looks like it's around the mid-section of a person.

Mike
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline MWTC

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 09:21:30 PM »
Willard,

The size of the legs that we can buy already measure 14.5 inches. I would like at least another 6 inches. The design that is already available works really well. Simple and effective. So I wouldn't reinvent the wheel. What I am looking for is the ability to sit in a regular outside chair and monitor the bake. Remember that I am still baking in the 1 1/2 inch tin plated steel pans, so the room to see the pizza baking is limited but I have no problem so far. It is just uncomfortable with the oven so low to the ground. Even with the extentions. Which are a joke, if you need more height.You might consider designing the legs with an option to adjust them to a height of each owners preference. But that might be to complicated. You could consider selling different heights of leg extentions so the individual owner could try out the height and see if it works out to his or her preference. Each owner will be of a different body type and what would be comfortable for me might be not so comforatable to another. But this leg extention thing needs to be addressed and solved. With your skill set that should be so easy and another profit area for you.

As Larry the cable guy says, Get-R-Done.  ;)

Let me know when you do. I will be the first in line to buy the longer leg extentions.

MWTC  :chef:

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 10:26:31 PM »
Essen1,

If you are baking in a low profile oven then you know how you almost have to be at eye level to see inn. I guess its a compromise between loading and looking.

MWTC,

I'll keep you posted.

-willard

Offline MWTC

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 10:39:42 PM »
Willard,

It just came to me.  8)

How about making them 24 inches long and then the customer can cut them down to the size that they want.

Copy the design that is already working so well. It is just a square tube. Simple and very reasonably priced. Cut the angles that is working already. Make note of the angle so we can cut the legs to the same angle.

If you don't have one on hand I will send you one of mine and then make them just like they already are.

You will sell a ton of these when the individual sees the value of added height.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 11:26:04 PM »
I did order in some square tubing about 5 months ago and made some longer ones. The problem was that I felt the whole thing was too wobbly, so I scrapped it. So there has to be some additional bracing involved.

-willard   

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 01:11:57 AM »
Essen1,

If you are baking in a low profile oven then you know how you almost have to be at eye level to see inn. I guess its a compromise between loading and looking.

-willard

Yeah, I know. 

I'm sure you come up with some new ideas.

Your design seems to be almost flawless and if you can make improvements, by evaluating the feedback, you'll end up with a superior and fairly affordable piece of equipment any hobby pizzaiolo would love to have.

Not to hassle you, but keep that good work up   ;D

Mike
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 01:13:30 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline MWTC

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 02:35:47 PM »
How about some kind of base unit that the extentions can set on. A base like the bottom of a sports trophy. Stability is the key issue. I know you can figure this out. Let me know when you do.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 12:34:03 PM »
Essen1,

The designs are evolving! but the basic principles are the same. The feedback is good to have, or you may end up designing neat things that nobody wants!

MWTC,

Did some testing and the problem is that the Bayou is not built that sturdy to begin with, so that may explain why they don't make the extensions any longer themselves. When you have an oven thats at 1000 degrees up in the air it needs to be sturdy. Ultimately you will need a steel divider under the burner to shield the tank from the heat, if you want to store it underneath which makes sense.

So as a bare bones stand that comes in different sizes this is most likely one of the best solutions.
You probably have the C&H catalog at work page 204 there is a steel table that looks pretty sturdy and is reasonably priced. All you need to do is pick up a can of black spray paint and I think it would complete your set up. (no sense in reinventing the wheel)

http://www.chdist.com/displayproductdetail.do?itemGroupOID=473&baseItemOID=765

It's also nice to have a table top where you can keep the peel ready when needed.

willard

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:49:35 PM by 2stone »

Offline MWTC

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 02:49:52 PM »
Nice table, $111.00 plus shipping. I'm trying to solve the problem for much less than that.

I just got 4 cement blocks from Superior Materials, a local cement block maker,
$2.11 each. They are solid and 6 inches high. I tried 3 inch blocks from Home Depot for $1.29 each. It was about 4-6 inches to short. So I'm going to try the trophy set-up idea. I will take a picture of the setup if it solves the issue.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 08:17:36 PM »
This may be my best classic Pizza Margherita so far.

Everything came together just right today. I've been trying to get a good Pizza Margherita for a while... but mostly what I've been getting has been mediocre. I used a Caputo dough with a 4 day cold rise, the 6 in 1 / Hunts sauce and Grande whole milk mozz.

I've also been wanting to install an awning over the oven and prep area. The Pizza Pro sits underneath a tree with lots of birds, and I've been caught a few times in the rain now and its no fun. I made some brackets for the back of the oven, and mounted a weather umbrella that adjusts easily to accommodate any hight and angle needed for sun, rain or overhead debris protection.

willard

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 12:59:22 PM »
Hi Willard:

Great looking pie. Can I ask what percentage of hydration you used on this dough? I have not had great success with a cold rise for Caputo. A cold rise is so much more convenient for part-timers, but, so far, my results yield little taste and rise with Caputo. The same is not true for, say, KA All Purpose.

Hope all is well and I am still very much enjoying my 2Stone.

Jim

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 04:26:24 PM »
Hi Jim,

Thanks, the hydration is around 65% and I also like KA AP flour. I have almost concluded that high gluten and bread flour makes the crust too tough in the 2stone.
I have linked to your www.uknead.com site, you've done a great job on it. I've been swamped with the pizza pros and haven't had any time to do any videos for a while.

regards,
willard