Author Topic: NYC Pizza Recommendations  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Sacs

• I Love Pizza!
NYC Pizza Recommendations
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:45:34 PM »
Going to NYC June 6th and 7th for the Big Apple BBQ. Of course I'm going to also look for great pizza. I need some recommendations. Here is a list of places I've already been to:

UPN
Totonno's
Rays (Prince St.)
Nick's
Naples 45
Grimaldi's
DiFara
Lombardi's
Joe's
Bleeker St.
Angelo's
DeMarco's
Luzzo's
John's
Da Ciro
Il Brigante
Brio Forno
La Pizza Fresca
A Mano
Isabella's Oven
Franny's

These are the places I'm thinking about trying:

Adrienne's Pizza Bar
Lil Frankie's
Sullivan St. Bakery
Arturo's
28 Carmine
Vinny Vincenz
Artichoke
Lazzara's
Sezz Medi
Patsy's

I'd really appreciate any opinions on the 10 places I'm thinking of trying or even a different recommendation.
Thanks!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: NYC Pizza Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 03:55:43 AM »
I think you hit most of the important stuff already, but definitely check out Patsy's in Harlem. It's probably the hottest coal oven after luzzo's so there is a nice texture to the crust.  I am also pretty fond of sezz medi and Arturo's at 106 west houston (be careful because there are two) is pretty good for more of a chewy new haven type of vibe.  I wasn't too impressed with Vinny Vincenz or carmine 28. 

The patsy's in Harlem is pretty close to Sez Medi in case you want to hit both.  Patsy's also sells by the slice, so it might work out for you.

Good luck Sacs!

Offline beaunehead

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 01:58:19 PM »
I went to Patsy's for the first time this winter; been to many of the others. Patsy's , I thought was great stuff, as good as any I've ever had in NYC...in any boro. (Went to Totonno's on Coney Island later that same day; good, too, but liked Patsy's pie better.)

My favorite pie is still in Trenton, NJ: DeLorenzo's Tomato Pie.....but, after that Patsy's is right up there; better than anything I've ever had in New Haven, for sure.  :o
Stuart

Offline Sacs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:22:28 PM »
Scott- I've always wanted to try Sezz Medi and Patsy's (Harlem location- I think I've been to one of the other locations). I'm just not to sure I want to go all the way to 118th street to Patsy's with my wife.  How is the neighborhood? I'll never forget my wife's face as we drove down Flatbush Avenue with our NYC map looking for Franny's.  :-D

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 02:58:42 AM »
If you did visit another Patsy's it was nothing like the harlem location. Those other locations have nice toppings, but the crust is too thick, the oven's too cool, and the sauce is too sweet.  I have been to the Harlem location many times with my wife, it's not scary to me at all during the day, but I suppose at night it might be a little more frightening.  Sezz medi, although fairly close by cab or car to Patsy's is definitely in a nicer neighborhood.

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 01:41:09 PM »
I went to Patsy's for the first time this winter; been to many of the others. Patsy's , I thought was great stuff, as good as any I've ever had in NYC...in any boro. (Went to Totonno's on Coney Island later that same day; good, too, but liked Patsy's pie better.)

My favorite pie is still in Trenton, NJ: DeLorenzo's Tomato Pie.....but, after that Patsy's is right up there; better than anything I've ever had in New Haven, for sure.  :o

I agree, Delorenzo's > all.  New Haven pizza is only slightly above average IMO.  The clam pie from Pepe's is really good but I've made it with a NY style crust and I find it to be much better.

Offline Sacs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 04:18:05 PM »
Scott- I'm thinking about driving to Sezz Medi and Patsy's in Harlem as soon as I get into Manhattan before I check into the hotel. Any idea how hard it is to park at these places?  I know parking in midtown is almost impossible if you don't use a parking garage.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 04:41:58 PM »
Parking around both is easy.  You can even just double park in front of patsy's and run in for a slice.  The only problem with that is you have to go with a plan (dry) cheese. If you want a fresh cheese pie or toppings you can still go up to the counter, order, and keep an eye on your car. 

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 05:39:40 PM »
Actually Patsy's has a private parking lot. It's located in the middle of the block and is nearly hidden by the cars on the street but patrons of the restaurant can park there free of charge.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 05:55:11 PM »
nice pete, I never knew that!

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 07:19:31 PM »
http://nyc.bestparking.com/#1

Here's a handy link for those of you not familiar with Manhattan and needing parking.You would be amazed at the daily rate savings if you are prepared to walk a few blocks away from the major attractions and tourist destinations.I've lived in Manhattan and the tri state for 20 years and find it invaluable,
Regards,
David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Sacs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »
Thanks everyone. The original plan was to try as many pizza shops as I could squeeze into Friday and hit the Big Apple BBQ on Saturday, but I can't seem to narrow down my list of 13 to 6 or 7, so I might just have to forget the BBQ. Maybe I'm obsessed?? :-D