Author Topic: Potato-Rosemary-Roasted Garlic pie  (Read 4598 times)

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
Potato-Rosemary-Roasted Garlic pie
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:02:09 PM »
Wasn't sure where a pizza like this should go, so I placed in this category...

Last nights pie, using a Neapolitan dough...wood fired oven with average temp at 850F degrees...I used the following formula for making this:

Final Dough
Amt                            Bakers %
Flour           24.5ozs    100%
Water        16.5ozs    67.35%
Yeast           0.1ozs    0.41%
Salt           0.5ozs    2.04%
Final Totals    41.6ozs    169.8%
Hydration    67.35%

Dough was prepared with 00 Caputo pizzeria flour,  IDY, using a 18 hour counter rise.  (Actually 12 hours bulk, and then formed to balls and rested another 6 hours.)  Dough was extremely wet, but easy to form and peel.

Topping was Feliipe Berrio Olive Oil brushed on the skin, followed by thin sliced red potatoes (sliced with a mandolin), fresh rosemary, and roasted garlic placed in dollops and sprinkled lightly with sea salt and Parmaggiana Reggiano grated cheese.

I also made a Rosa (ala Chris Bianco at Pizzeria Bianco) using the same dough but didn't have a chance to photograph but I'll get it next time.  I found that in such a high temp, I had to refrain from placing the pistachios on the pie til halfway thru the bake, at which time I pulled it back from the oven, dusted it with crushed pistachios and back in it went to finish.  Came out very well.  There are other threads dealing with the Rosa for various ingredient lists...it had an olive oil base, pistachios, rosemary, and red onion sliced thin in the mandolin, also sprinkled with parm/reg and sea salt.

"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Potato-Rosemary-Roasted Garlic pie
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:20:12 PM »
Dan,

I can see why you enjoyed the pizza. I have found that potatoes go quite well on pizzas. How many dough balls did your dough batch make and what size pizzas did you make?

For those who may be mixing weights and volumes, here is an expanded version of your dough formulation:

Caputo Pizzeria 00 Flour (100%):
Water (67.35%):
IDY (0.41%):
Salt (2.04%):
Total (169.8%):
694.56 g  |  24.5 oz | 1.53 lbs
467.79 g  |  16.5 oz | 1.03 lbs
2.85 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.95 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
14.17 g | 0.5 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.54 tsp | 0.85 tbsp
1179.36 g | 41.6 oz | 2.6 lbs | TF = N/A

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:12:47 PM »
Great looking pie, pizza concerto. I will definitely have to try this on my next batch on Friday. Thanks for posting.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:17:45 PM »
Hi Peter,

5 dough balls per batch...usually 12" pizzas, though I don't weigh them when I divide, just go by feel...thanks for breaking out the volumes...I originally started to learn from Peter Reinhart's American Pie, and his doughs usually made 6 pies, but I found that roughly 5 cups of flour yielded 5 good size pies. So I've kind of stuck to that formula with my modifications based on info from the forum here...

Hi Bill, and thanks.  Let me know how it works for you...the Santos is working great! (Though for these smaller batches, I do alot of hand turning of the bowl in the opposite direction to "grab" the dough from the bowl).

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

pizzapan