Author Topic: Redpack Heavy Sauce users: how do you season  (Read 4228 times)

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
Redpack Heavy Sauce users: how do you season
« on: February 22, 2008, 05:52:37 PM »
I tried Redpack Heavy Pizza Sauce for the first time tonight, and have to admit it tasted fantastic straight out of the can.  But I supplemented it with my old sauce recipe's seasonings, and while not bad, it seemed to degrade from what it was unseasoned.

I know everyone has different tastes/etc, but just curious for those of you out there that use Redpack, what you may add to the sauce if anything.

Thanks as always for sharing your experiences

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Redpack Heavy Sauce users: how do you season
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:04:45 PM »
To be more specific in my request, please let me know if you have any extra seasoning recipes you use with your Redpack Heavy Pizza Sauce.  In doing so, please also let me know the amount of the sauce (i.e., measurement-wise) you are using as your base.

Thanks again. 

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 05:35:33 PM »
I like Redpack heavy pizza sauce better than anything I've been able to put together from scratch.

I take a #10 can, heat it up and add 1 tsp cayenne to give it some additional bite.

Sidebar:  In another thread, I asked if sauces like the Redpack heavy were intended to be thinned (i.e., are they sort of a "concentrate").  I thinning my last can, and although it was easer to spread over the pizza and didn't taste bad, it seeped into the dough and I didn't get the crisp bottom crust that I like.  So my wife is going to make a lasagna out of it (can't wait to try that) and I bought another can of Redpack, this time using it full strength.
--pat--

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:39:14 PM »
Wow...that's it? 1 tsp of Cayenne for that entire gigantic can?  Do you freeze the left?  It doesn't seem like a mere teaspoon of Cayenne would put much of a dent in it.

I am not interested in thinning it---its pretty consistent in thickness with anything you'd find in a commercial pizzeria, so not that bad at all.

I separated my #10 can into separate 16 oz containers, so I'll have to do a little division with your recipe.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Offline enchant

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 10:45:16 AM »
I tried 1-1/2 tsp in a can once, and a few people remarked that it was quite spicy.  No one complained, but the fact that people pointed it out made me think that it was a bit much.

I "can" my sauce.  Without going into all the steps, I can it into 16-oz jars and put them in the cabinet.  Perhaps it's just that I've become used it it and any deviation tastes "wrong", but during the summer, we had a big pizza party (50 pizzas), and used the sauce straight out of the cans (plus the 1 tsp cayenne).  Somehow it tasted a little sour or tart to me.  I wonder if heating it alters the flavor somewhat.

But I've always felt that pizza is a subjective thing.  You might like your Redpack straight from the can, or with THREE tsp of cayenne.  Doesn't make either of us wrong.
--pat--

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 06:42:55 PM »
Where do you buy your Redpack? any sources online?

Offline enchant

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 03:04:10 PM »
I just looked at the redgold.com website and see that they don't show pizza sauce as one of their products.  I called my local supplier (where I normally buy it), and he said that his distributor sent them a different brand this time.

I wonder if Redpack has stopped making pizza sauce.  :(
--pat--