Author Topic: Pizza Trek To Napoli  (Read 9294 times)

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
Re: Pizza Trek To Napoli
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 11:57:50 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have just returned from a memorable pizza-tasting trip to Naples. I want to thank Marco, scpizza, David and Bill/SFNM for their help in putting together a short list of pizzarias to visit.

The absolute highlight was our visit to Salvo. We took the circumvesuvio train (about 25 minutes) and a 10 minute walk to get to the pizzaria in San Giorgio a Cremona. We were welcomed by Salvatore Salvo (one of the owners), and he was the perfect host. He showed us around the pizza making station and answered all of our questions. His English is pretty good ! We watched him prepare and cook 3 pizzas for us: 1. Fior di latte Margherita, 2. Marinara,  3. A deep fried calzone filled with ricotta cheese, smoked mozarella and chicory. All were superb !  Salvo is a MUST for anyone visiting Naples.

Next best was a tie between Da Michele and Gorizia. We visited Da Michele twice to be sure, and found the base and sauce to be very good, but it still did not compare with Salvo. I took David's advice and visited Villa Floridiana in Vomero, and then took in Gorizia. The base was a little tough at Gorizio, but overall, very nice.

In fourth spot we put Gino Sorbillo. Pretty good, but a notch below the others. A little difficult to find, but worth it.

In fifth spot we had to place Trianon. Their cheese was disappointing, and the base very tough. It even gave us heartburn which is unusual. 

The photos below show a Margherita (cut in half) and a Marinara at Salvo. Enjoy !

Barry in Cape Town, South Africa

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 04:52:10 PM »
beauty !!! i can wait to go to naples..... my wife is italian (from naples) and we are planing to go next year !!!!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
Hey Barry,

Glad to hear about your trip...really wish I was back out there!!  Planning for next year.  I've never tried Salvo, but you've just made me create a new list!  Any other pics from the trip? 

Best,

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

pizzapan