Author Topic: Pizza Trek To Napoli  (Read 9810 times)

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Trek To Napoli
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:35:32 PM »
Hey everyone,
Just got back from a two week pizza eating tour of Napoli.  While we did
take some time out to eat some pizza a taglio in Roma and some gelato in
Bologna, we spent most of our time in Napoli eating at the top pizzerias and
spending some time with Caputo and our tomato supplier in nearby Nocera.
Among others we ate at, Sorbillo, Di Matteo, Presidente, Salvo, Brandi, La
Notizia, Gorizia and of course Da Michele. 
I am not one to ever be critical of anyone who is striving to make a top quality product,
and even if I was I would not have a bad word to say about any of these pizzerias.  But, if I had to
give my nod to one pizza as being my favorite during the trip, it would be
the Filetto or DOC pizza at Salvo.  That being said I was amazed at how different each pizzeria was while still putting out an incredible product.
Overall we were very surprised at how welcoming and helpful everyone was.
Even at their busiest times all of them were very interested in hearing
about Pizza Napoletana here in the States and were very open and helpful in
discussing techniques and tricks of the trade.
Here are just a few of the pictures from our trip, I am working on getting a
slide show put up on our website with all of our pics.
One last things for Tony, we spent quite a bit of time talking to the owner
of Presidente, all he wanted to talk about was his new grande amico Tony
Gemignani.  The day we went to Presidente they were slammed with a tourist group of over 50 and they still made time to talk with us and let us behind the oven and banco….great people.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:34:08 PM by sumeri »

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Trek To Napoli
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:36:47 PM »
A few more pics

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:38:02 PM »
Sorry have to get these ones in there.
Forza Roma!!   Forza Napoli!!  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 01:47:06 PM by sumeri »

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 03:28:40 PM »
Hi Brad,

Nice pictures (especially the one of the "CURVA" in Naples and Forza Napoli all the way!!!!)

I am not sure Ciro will be happy to see his picture on the net, he is a very reserved guy that has tried his best not to have pictures going on the net.

I am happy to have contributed at putting Salvo on the map. Unfortunately being outside the city doesn't allow them to get the credit they deserve.

Ciao

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 03:43:36 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Marco.  Ciro said I just missed you by two days.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 06:40:52 PM by sumeri »

Offline ratana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »
Wow, looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics.... did you get any of the roma pizza?

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 06:43:45 PM »
Here are a few pics from Pizzarium, the best pizza a taglio I have ever eaten.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 01:03:05 PM »
Hey Sumeri,

Thanks for posting the great pics...It brings back many memories, and whets the appetite!  I'm heading for Florence, Venice, and Tuscany in May...have you been, and do you have any recommendations for great pizza in the north?  Anyone else with suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Again, thanks, great pictures!

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline beammeup

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Yah there is a great Naploi style pizza place in Florence. Pizzaiuolo Osterio closish to Santa Croce. These were the directions I was given. Actually its about a Kilo away. I asked around and was given directions. All the locals know it. It was worth the journey, but gets busy quickly. It opens at 19:30, by 19:40 its full. There is a great wine bar just around the corner, I got there early so had to hang out at the wine bar.

Offline cd1168

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 07:39:02 PM »
sumeri

very nice pics.. and a very good idea.. go on a trip to italy with the specific objective of going to the pizzerias.. some of those pizzas look a little crispy. actually more to my taste.. overall very nice.. thanks for sharing
with respect Chris

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 12:33:07 AM »
Some were a little on the crispy side.  My pizza maker spent a month and a half at home in Napoli this summer and noticed the same thing that I did which is that most places the cook time is closer to 1 minute than 45 seconds.  We were always striving for the 45 second bake (check out a youtube video one of my workers made before our trip where we were cooking a margherita in about 40 seconds ) but since we have been back we have really been trying for more of a one minute bake.  Da Michele was the only pizzeria we saw that was closer to 45 seconds.  I think you can get away with a quicker bake if you are consistently busy and do not make combination pizzas.  If you aren't busy enough the oven is very tough to control and if you have to make combination pizzas like we do here in America they just can't cook completely in 45 seconds and you can't always put them far enough away from the flame. 

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 08:49:28 AM »
Hi Brad,

I understand what you are saying about the cooking time and can mostly agree, but Da Michele is not the only one... Look at the video recently posted on this forum of Gino Sorbillo (from youtube I believe) were it can be easily monitored a baking of just under 45 seconds and they were not even that busy.

Ciao

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 02:11:06 AM »
I am not sure Ciro will be happy to see his picture on the net, he is a very reserved guy that has tried his best not to have pictures going on the net.

http://www.pizzeriasalvo.it/

I think he's got over his shyness now Brad! He's updated the website with loads of great photos showcasing what neapolitan pizza should look like and many of him and his customers / celebrities as you can see. (Salvo nel Mondo )
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 02:17:25 AM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 10:43:02 AM »
It looks like someone else got over their shyness as well!   Those are the best pics of neapolitan pizza I have ever seen.  I almost felt like I could taste the pizza a few of those pictures.  In a few of the shots you can really see how soft, delicate, and toatally different than our americanized neapolitan this really is.

Offline Amir

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 11:17:51 PM »
OK guys.  The photographer in me couldn't stand looking at a pink pizza :D.  I hope the OP doesn't mind but I color corrected it and touched it up a bit.  I think it looks more appetizing now:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:26:04 PM by Amir »

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 08:22:20 AM »
It's fun for the whole family!

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 07:42:42 PM »
http://www.pizzeriasalvo.it/

I think he's got over his shyness now Brad! He's updated the website with loads of great photos showcasing what neapolitan pizza should look like and many of him and his customers / celebrities as you can see. (Salvo nel Mondo )

I was with Ciro on Friday and we were having a laugh at your comment above... ;-) He was not happy when someone published a picture of him on an Italian forum and that is the only reason I had asked Brad to check with him.

Anyway, I had 3 of the greatest pizza ever on Friday.. No doubt he offers the best pizza in Naples.

Offline cd1168

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 09:21:55 PM »
give me a brake
with respect Chris

Offline cd1168

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 09:22:42 PM »
excuse my spelling, give me a break
with respect Chris

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 03:03:37 AM »
give me a brake
excuse my spelling, give me a break

cd1168, when posting these kinds of comments you might consider editing or removing your automatic signature line as it clearly does not apply. Cheers.

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 11:57:50 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have just returned from a memorable pizza-tasting trip to Naples. I want to thank Marco, scpizza, David and Bill/SFNM for their help in putting together a short list of pizzarias to visit.

The absolute highlight was our visit to Salvo. We took the circumvesuvio train (about 25 minutes) and a 10 minute walk to get to the pizzaria in San Giorgio a Cremona. We were welcomed by Salvatore Salvo (one of the owners), and he was the perfect host. He showed us around the pizza making station and answered all of our questions. His English is pretty good ! We watched him prepare and cook 3 pizzas for us: 1. Fior di latte Margherita, 2. Marinara,  3. A deep fried calzone filled with ricotta cheese, smoked mozarella and chicory. All were superb !  Salvo is a MUST for anyone visiting Naples.

Next best was a tie between Da Michele and Gorizia. We visited Da Michele twice to be sure, and found the base and sauce to be very good, but it still did not compare with Salvo. I took David's advice and visited Villa Floridiana in Vomero, and then took in Gorizia. The base was a little tough at Gorizio, but overall, very nice.

In fourth spot we put Gino Sorbillo. Pretty good, but a notch below the others. A little difficult to find, but worth it.

In fifth spot we had to place Trianon. Their cheese was disappointing, and the base very tough. It even gave us heartburn which is unusual. 

The photos below show a Margherita (cut in half) and a Marinara at Salvo. Enjoy !

Barry in Cape Town, South Africa

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 04:52:10 PM »
beauty !!! i can wait to go to naples..... my wife is italian (from naples) and we are planing to go next year !!!!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
Hey Barry,

Glad to hear about your trip...really wish I was back out there!!  Planning for next year.  I've never tried Salvo, but you've just made me create a new list!  Any other pics from the trip? 

Best,

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine