Author Topic: Spring trio pizza  (Read 7463 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Spring trio pizza
« on: May 24, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »
Morels, ramps, and fiddleheads - sauteed together and used for topping white pizza. One of the best ever.

Bill/SFNM

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
Re: Spring trio pizza
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 11:52:05 PM »
wow.... that's good looking, nice photos too.  -wg
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 02:14:18 AM »
Bill,

If you're after the award for most eccentric choice of pizza toppings, I think it's in the mail.  I just can't decide if your pizza would more likely be found in Middle Earth or late in the Mesozoic era.  The photo of your toppings is especially nice though.

- red.november

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 08:02:40 AM »
red.november

You'd be amazed (sickened?) at some of the toppings I've tried. This is not out of eccentricity - I have regular "clean out the refrigerator" or "clean out the freezer" days when I challenge myself to make meals just from what I have, no shopping allowed. When left-over pizza dough is involved, some of these pies are truly disgusting. Some are surprise successes.

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 09:06:37 AM »
Bill,
What did you do in the way of prepping these prior to using as toppings?
Regards,
David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 09:26:50 AM »
David,

Ramps (wild leeks) were cleaned, and minced. Fiddleheads were parboiled.

In a heated pan, ramps were sauteed until tender, Morels were then added and cooked until tender. Then fiddleheads were tossed in until tender. Salt & Pepper.

Bill

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 11:03:49 AM »
Bill,

I was not suggesting that the reason behind the choice was eccentric, just the choice itself.  Regardless of the reason, the choice of topping was unconventional.  Although I know you are primarily referring to some other choice of toppings as disgusting, I think the choice of morels, ramps, and fiddleheads is a good combination.  On Friday I made a pizza with mushrooms, onions, and spinach.  The fern/spinach analogue is the only real stretch in the similarity.

- red.november

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 11:22:20 AM »
I have regular "clean out the refrigerator" or "clean out the freezer" days when I challenge myself to make meals just from what I have, no shopping allowed.
Bill,

You sure do have an interesting assortment of ingredients in the refrigerator. My clean out would involve pomegranite syrup and red split lentils - try and come up with a pizza based on that! LOL

I have had Fiddleheads and Ramps before, never tried the Morels. Thanks for sharing the combo, it inspires me to think outside the box on my next bake. Yesterday it was Camaldoli bagels which were great except for sticking to the parchment paper.

PNW

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 11:29:13 AM »
My clean out would involve pomegranite syrup and red split lentils - try and come up with a pizza based on that! LOL

The pomegranate syrup could be used to sweeten a red sauce and the lentils could be pureed for a vegetarian (nominally) white sauce.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 12:34:25 PM »
Here's an idea: What if we have a monthly photo contest like they have on the photo forums? The moderators could decide on a topic for the month (e.g., June could be "Most Appealing Ideas for Pizzas Using Leftovers". July could be "Pizzas using Summer vegetables", etc. We could easily setup a new board for this and create a thread for the month. Members would post their photos as replies in that thread. At the end of the month, moderators could select a small number of the submissions they judged to be the best and members could vote for the winner. No prize other than the prestige. Moderators are not eligible to win, must be 18 years or older to participate, not valid where prohibited by law.  :D

Do you think enough members would post to make it worthwhile and interesting?

Bill/SFNM

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »
Bill,

As in golf, are there going to be handicaps (e.g. white tee, blue tee, yellow tee, etc.) based on having point-and-shoot versus SLR, 3 MP versus 12 MP, or CCD versus CMOS for example?

- red.november

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 01:44:36 PM »
Bill,

As in golf, are there going to be handicaps (e.g. white tee, blue tee, yellow tee, etc.) based on having point-and-shoot versus SLR, 3 MP versus 12 MP, or CCD versus CMOS for example?

- red.november

red.november,

Since this site is all about pizza, I think priority should be giving to the idea and execution behind the pizza rather than the quality of the photo. My criteria in selecting the best post would be which pie would I prefer to eat, regardless of whether the photo is taken with a cell-phone camera or a Nikon D3. The only goal here is to have some fun by thinking and cooking to a theme which could result in improving both our pizza and photo skills.

Ideally members could receive a sample of each of the submitted pies to taste, but I don't think my browser supports that. Something you could develop for us?  :)

Bill/SFNM

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 02:04:56 PM »
The only goal here is to have some fun by thinking and cooking to a theme which could result in improving both our pizza and photo skills.

My concern is the underlined above.  Quality photographic equipment may be misinterpreted as part of a photo-taking skillset.  How does one separate good skills from good equipment without first recognizing the equipment in use?  With the right equipment, some could probably make raw sewage look appetizing.  I think a disclaimer of equipment is in order for fair judging, despite the frolicky nature of the contest.

Ideally members could receive a sample of each of the submitted pies to taste, but I don't think my browser supports that. Something you could develop for us?  :)

You jest, but you'd be surprised.  ;D

Offline zalicious

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »
frolicky nature of the contest.

Love your choice of words :).

Bill/SFNM, your picture is absolutely gorgeous, & could be a poster for a kitchen.

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 04:54:17 PM »
Bill,

Perhaps a North African (e.g. Moroccan, Egyptian) or Middle Eastern (e.g. Jewish, Turkish) theme could start us off.  I have something in the works for a reward, and it's along the lines of prestige.

- red.november

pizzapan