Author Topic: wood fired oven & pizzas  (Read 3291 times)

Offline JimmyMak

wood fired oven & pizzas
« on: May 28, 2008, 08:34:39 PM »
This is my second post but I've been reading for awhile. I've had a passion for making pizza since I was a kid. I now have  a wife & kids & they help me share my  passion. I knew  I wouldn't be happy until  I built a brick oven. I finally  got help to post a few pictures.  This is total family help.                                                                                                               

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: wood fired oven & pizzas
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:40:57 PM »
Nice oven - tell us about it! I want one.

Nice pizza, especially like the Walnut - what exactly is on it?

Thanks

PNW

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:41:21 PM »
That dessert pizza looks amazing !

how did you bake that ? ... did you bake the dough all by itself, and then add the walnuts and sugar/milk or sugar/water
syrup afterwards ?

anyway, amazing.

you are going to get a lot of requests to see more of that oven.... a kit ? built from scratch ?

anyway, beautiful stuff !
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:59:55 PM »
I cook the dough then my wife takes it from there. The oven was built from scratch.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 08:08:39 AM »
Nice... tell us more about the oven..... :)
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:12:55 PM »
Great looking pictures!

How about the recipe and your procedures?

baker bill

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:44:47 PM »
The oven was built with first my daughter printing out the plans off the forno bravo site. Its a Pompei 42" diameter  oven &  I'm glad I built the bigger one. Then one sunday my one of three sons asked me if I would ever build it. I said if you guys help will get it done. That afternoon we began . Aprox  three months later it was done nights & weekends. spring time finished with patio & grass. If I ever move I would have to build another. Its definately worth it. I have pizza parties & put out 20 pizzas in no time. I'm always trying differant recipes for dough . This site is a great resource. I'm no expert just love making pizza & my wife shares in making the dessert pizzas .

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 01:23:17 AM »
Jimmy, congratulations, the oven and the pizze look great. Just out of curiosity, shouldn't the wood in the oven go on the side, instead of in the back?

I would love to know what your wife put on that desert pizza, get her to give us the details!

My two favorite desert pizze are nutella with whip cream, and cinnamon-butter and cream-cheese icing (I call it the cinnamon-roll pizza).

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 01:39:03 AM »
Jimmy, Those pies look amazing. Fire front, back, sideways, who cares when they look that good. That desert pie looks very yummy indeed.  :chef:
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 09:47:48 AM »
I've love to see more images of your new oven, from the sides, and back, just to give us a feeling of how
large this is.

A thing of beauty it is. :chef:
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »
I am still lusting over the pizza pictures you posted so at the risk of plain begging, how about some information on the recipe and the procedures you used.

bakerbill

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 08:01:57 PM »
The skins are cooked & then put on a rack at room temp uncovered. My wife has cinnamon, sugar & walnuts crushed In a bag. She brushes melted unsalted butter & tops with nuts . Back in the oven for maybe 30sec sugar just starts to carmelize. cool for 1to2 minutes & top with icing. cut last. I must express quality & freshness of ingredients. We make others. The dessert pizzas seem to be a bigger hit. I'll work on other pics. The fire in back or side work the same for temp.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »
Jimmy,  things are looking great,  nice work on the pies so far. I just wanted to chime in.  I built a modified version of the Pompeii oven on the FB site.  Mine just has a lower dome than described in those plans.  While it is clear that you have done everything right to make a killer pie,  I have to disagree and  and say that regardless of the round type of oven you are using,  there are a few reasons you should consider having the fire on one side of your oven instead of the back.  I believe you could find an in depth explanation on the fb site,  but the main reason is efficiency.  You will use less fuel if the flames are not directed out the door by hitting the roof and aiming directly at it.  Keeping the flame in the oven longer allows the bricks to absorb more energy.  Secondly there is a certsin pattern of airflow that starts to happen when the fire is on the side, and the flames will begin to aim down directly at the top of your pizzas.  Also venting is improved.  Finally,  when cooking in between coals and the right or left hand wall,  the heat is more intense and more even than if you are in between the coals and the door,  where all of the fresh air has to come in.  It may be that you don't have the super long oven tools yet.  I do not mean to come across as a know it all type poster,  but rather aim to help you continue to excel at your hobby.  Nice work indeed so far.  Let me know if you try the side again.  And thanks for the info on the desert toppings,  I will have to give that a try.  -marc

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 06:48:49 PM »
Thanks for the info I'm going to try when I don't have so many people over.

Offline Evietoo

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 01:21:20 PM »
Just beautiful.  I love how this envolves all your family... what it's all about in my mind.

pizzapan