Author Topic: Oven Comparison Shootout  (Read 12880 times)

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Oven Comparison Shootout
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 02:28:29 PM »
Was shopping in http://www.marketofchoice.com/kitchencatering.cfm yesterday. First time going there and noticed a Woodstone oven in the deli. The pizza in the display case was awful looking. Did not have any desire to try it. The oven sure looks impressive, the product coming out of it did not.

Offline Amir

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 10:10:42 PM »
Was shopping in http://www.marketofchoice.com/kitchencatering.cfm yesterday. First time going there and noticed a Woodstone oven in the deli. The pizza in the display case was awful looking. Did not have any desire to try it. The oven sure looks impressive, the product coming out of it did not.

My experience exactly!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 10:17:04 AM »
Bill,
Cool you have the earthstone as well. I thought the exact same thing. I should have put in the 110. I built it from the ground up and don't think it would have taken even another 2 hours for a tad larger. Like you said though they cook so quick its really not an issue. I can do 2 or squeeze 3 with someone helping (on watch and spinning) I spoke with Jean Paul during const a few times and he really did sell me on the product after 6 mo. of research. I have 1 chip 1/4" in 1 stone in center but I can get at it if it ever needs to be replaced I am sure JP would send 1. As I mentioned I feel that was the hardest part of constructing the oven was the heart stones on the lean cement. Any help with this pic posting thing would be appreciated. can I send you 1 directly and maybe you can see what is going on? oh I did make a donation yesterday to the forum as we all should for so much info.
John

[
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 01:00:40 PM »
Any help with this pic posting thing would be appreciated.
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ is one of many ways to re size images. Or http://www.resizeyourimage.com/ . On many of the newer operating systems you can simply email the picture to yourself and the software will ask if you would like to send it in a smaller format.

PNW

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 11:44:36 AM »
Interesting selection of ovens. Some of them seem to be the Forno Bravo ovens in the USA. The interesting ones are the pre-fab units..

http://www.alfarefrattari.it/catalogo_en.html

pnw

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 10:11:35 PM »
Heres my earthstone constructed by yours truly from shovel to shingle!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 10:15:47 PM »
Very exited here I finally figured it out how to resize and post Heres my earthstone oven I built from the ground up I post construction sequence as soon as I get the pics resized.
John

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 11:31:27 PM »
Awesome job on the oven build. Want to come to Oregon and build one for me??

PNW

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 07:58:15 AM »
PNW,
Sure I would be glad to. For the price they wanted if I just do 3-4 a year I would be set and alot more Pizzas would be created in America. I learned alot doing this and know when I move out of New Jersey
I will be doing it again somewhere. I grew up in NH mountains  lakes ( no god pizza ) and ended up in NJ yek! So Oregon sounds great!
Herdest part was the hearth lean cement not too forgiving
Funest part the real stone veneer.
Most Pain in the !@#  part , the grout between all the stone work very tedious!
 Ill put up some pics of the process in the hearth section and a few pies I have created as well.
thanks!
John

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 12:10:51 AM »
This is the best quote I have heard about brick ovens....

When I first noticed cracks and other irregularities in my oven... I went nuts... then relaxed.

I spoke to people a lot smarter than me that explained that this heated beast is a living breathing piece of art when it is fired at its potential....

Dmun said it best!

Frankie G

Homemade firebrick oven:

Pro's:

- At under a buck a brick for 160 bricks almost anyone can afford an oven. The refractory mortar and the insulation (which you have to buy anyway) cost more than the oven.

- Unlimited design choices: you can build your oven any size, any height, with any vent size that will suit your cooking style best.

- Unlimited internet support, on even the smallest detail, from a large supportive oven building community.

- Bragging rights: "Yeah, I built this. Yep. Every brick"

- This is true of commercial ovens too, because more than half the effort of building any oven is the footings, stand, enclosure, and finish, but it's a fun project. You can enlist the help of friends, family, and neighbors, and build your local community.

- A "brick oven" should look like it's made out of bricks. I'm sorry, it should. I know you can get commercial brick built ovens, but most of the ones you can afford look like upside down beige mixing bowls.

Cons:

- Brick ovens crack. Almost every one. Everyone gets paranoid about those hairline cracks, then finally shrug their shoulders and go back to cooking. If a crack in your oven is going to drive you crazy, get a commercial oven.

- You have to make your own decisions, and figure out certain things for yourself. If you want a ready made solution, go commercial.

Like Bill, I wish I had a little bigger oven. Mine is 36, which is fine for what I do, but there would be a little more versatility with a 39.5 (1 meter) oven.

pizzapan