Author Topic: Messed up an old standard  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

Messed up an old standard
« on: May 30, 2008, 11:29:05 PM »
I've made this recipe over a 100 times - first time I didn't bake it

1-1/2 cup warm water (110*-115* F)
2 TBSP - sugar
Whole quick rise yeast packet
1-1/2 TSP. - Salt
2 TBSP - Olive Oil
4 Cups of bread flour

I usually counter rise this concoction about an hour or so and then into the frig in a zip lock bag to be used the following day.

Made the recipe as usual but forgot it in the microwave (my low cost rising chamber).

I remembered the dough was in the micro when the wife wanted to make a frozen Mac and cheese for our son and the mixer bowl was in the microwave - the dough had set in the microwave for about 5 hours. - I tasted the raw dough and it was terrible. Alcohol tasting to the point I threw it out.

A lot of yeast and a lot of sugar on a 5 hour counter type rise is not the hot lick. :'(

Took out a frozen dough left over from about two weeks ago and sauced it with DelGrosso New York Style pizza sauce from a jar ($1.29 for 14oz) - the pizza was good for a frozen dough deal but I was really impressed with the jarred sauce. I can't seem to find it around my home but found that particular sauce at a larger food store located on Lake Erie where we have a summer place last weekend. Going back to this store with the intention of purchasing a case or so of this sauce - the sauce is a little sweet but about the best store purchased sauce I've tasted to date (maybe a drop of balsamic vinegar would fix it to my liking).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:41:24 PM by Y-TOWN »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Messed up an old standard
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:41:05 AM »
Richard,

I can easily see how the mishap occurred. What you may want to try is a Styrofoam container that you bring out of storage just to rise the dough. Since it isn't part of the real estate like your microwave unit, you will see it every time you go into the kitchen. Just be sure to put the Styrofoam unit back into storage when you are done using it.

Although five hours is a long fermentation time at room temperature, I think the dough might have been salvageable. You would get a strong whiff of alcohol once you opened the door of the microwave unit simply because the dough was in an enclosed space. There might have been some handling problems as you tried to divide and shape the dough balls, but with a short rest I think you may have been able to use the dough. There is plenty of sugar in your recipe to keep the yeast fed.

As far as the DelGrosso sauce is concerned, I believe that Bryan S and sourdough girl are users of that brand of sauce, including the NY and Supreme. If memory serves, Bryan did not particularly care for the DelGrosso pepperoni sauce. I think he also combines the Supreme with a standard canned tomato.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 03:44:49 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:30:24 AM »
Richard,

Although five hours is a long fermentation time at room temperature, I think the dough might have been salvageable. You would get a strong whiff of alcohol once you opened the door of the microwave unit simply because the dough was in an enclosed space. There might have been some handling problems as you tried to divide and shape the dough balls, but with a short rest I think you may have been able to use the dough.

Peter,

I did form the skin and let it sit about 5 minutes on the counter. I took a little piece of the dough and tasted it - had a very similar taste reaction to putting pop-rocks in my mouth - kinda of a fizzy reaction - nasty :-[

The DelGrosso pepperoni sauce is about all the local stores carry in my area from that brand provider. I don't care for it either
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:32:00 AM by Y-TOWN »

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 03:08:03 PM »
Richard and Peter,
I'm wondering if that fizzy-ness of the dough would have disappeared upon baking?  I don't think I have ever put raw bread/pizza dough in my mouth because, as a child, my mother scared the bejeepers out of me with stories of what can happen inside you when you eat dough with live yeast in it!   :o   :-D  Now I'm wondering if doughs such as JerryMac's, which use a long poolish-like preferment, wouldn't give you that "fizzy" effect as well... I might have to go against the advice of my mama and taste it!  However, Richard, I certainly understand your reaction in tossing the dough: when in doubt, throw it out!

As for the DelGrosso sauce, it's not available out here that I'm aware of, but a kind member sent me a jar of each to try since he knows I like NEPA-style pizzas.  I, too, did not care for the pepperoni... and the NY and Supreme, while good, were too sweet for my tastes.  I DID, however, enjoy them in pasta applications rather than pizza.

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 03:55:16 PM »
sourdough girl,

I don't taste raw doughs but that is only because I haven't thought to do it before. Maybe I will have to try it sometime if for no other reason than to be able to tell others what to expect. I personally would have baked out a small piece of the dough and tasted that. By my estimate, Richard's ADY was over 1% of the flour weight. However, that would not be unusual for a short-time dough. And such doughs usually have a window of usability of about 3 hours. A couple hours longer wouldn't be likely to deter me.

Peter

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 08:15:07 PM »
Eating raw pizza dough is probably pretty common in pizzerias.  I knew several employees that used to regularly chew it like gum until it dissolved then swallow it.  I never chewed on any raw dough for more than a couple seconds.  I was usually just interested in getting the flavor then spitting it out.

pizzapan