Author Topic: Reconsidering Using Leftover Neapolitan Dough for Bread  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Reconsidering Using Leftover Neapolitan Dough for Bread
« on: May 31, 2008, 01:40:23 PM »
I had come to the conclusion so long ago I don't even remember why that baguettes made with leftover Caputo 00 pizza dough with a natural starter weren't as good as my standard baguette recipe which uses bread flour and a totally different kneading/proofing regimen. A few weeks ago I had some leftover pizza dough and needed something for sandwiches, so I formed it into a boule, let if proof in a wicker basket, and then baked in the kitchen oven. It was really special, maybe as good in texture and taste than my regular bread. And certainly much easier since the dough was already made.

I've done a few more batches since then and think there are 3 things that made a difference:

1) After proofing at room temp for pizza, the balls were stored in the refrigerator, the longer the better. That is, the balls that sat for 5 days came out better than those that just sat for 1 day.
2) Folding the dough after removing from the refrigerator and allowing it to rest before forming the boule gives it more structure so that it rises more.
3) A big blast of steam during the first 30 seconds of baking with the boule covered to retain the steam for the first 5 minutes results in a crust that is light, flaky, and shatters when sliced.

Here is a photo of today's loaf (Ischia starter) which was only left in refrigerator for 1 day. It was served with leftover smoked prime rib for sandwiches.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Reconsidering Using Leftover Neapolitan Dough for Bread
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 06:28:52 PM »
Nice looking loaf-the crumb looks great.

Regarding #2-do you just mean a couple of turns on the counter then standard boule shaping?

Thanks,

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 07:13:41 PM »
Regarding #2-do you just mean a couple of turns on the counter then standard boule shaping?

http://www.artisanbreadbaking.com/discussions/folding_dough.htm

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »
I have been using my leftover dough for baguettes recently. My dough is 75% Caputo/25% Stone Buhr BF with Ischia starter. They were turning out good to very good until today when I cranked the oven up to 550 with the Fibrament stone. They baked for 15 minutes after a quick spritz of water on the dough. They were well browned with a few char spots and they had great oven spring with superb taste.

Dough was @ 60-64 degrees in the Koolatron for 24 hours then pizza made, while the balance was put into the fridge for 2 days aging.

My thinking for the future is that it won't be leftover dough, it will be planned non-Obsolescence.

PNW

pizzapan