Author Topic: New Shredding Method  (Read 3281 times)

Offline pwaldman

New Shredding Method
« on: June 01, 2008, 02:44:38 PM »
I have always preferred using blocks of cheese that I shred myself.  I like to blend several types and make large batches that I can freeze in vacuum sealed mason jars so the shreds don't clump.  I usually keep a couple of pounds at a time in the refridgerator for my working stock.  My problem has been that doing this by hand is very time consuming as well as just plain hurts your hands after awhile!  My food processor is too fast and the shreds are too small.  I read about the Presto Salad Shooter and that it had an optional "super shred" blade specifically for cheese like mozzarella.  I bought it and love the results! ;D  Now I can shred about 10 pounds of cheese in 10 minutes with much larger shreds that hold up better to the oven heat.  I included a few pictures.

1 - Salad Shooter unit
2 - Super Shred blade
3 - About 5 pounds of cheese in 5 minutes
4 - closeup of the shreds

Pete

Offline Jackitup

Re: New Shredding Method
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 05:04:31 PM »
Here's what I use, made it for making sausage when adding cubed cheese. Works great.
Jon
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5728.msg49098.html#msg49098
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pwaldman

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 05:37:08 PM »
Jon,

I did see your post and it looks like a great idea.  I just like being lazy and letting electricity do the work for me.

Pete

Offline Zensojourner

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »
OK so I broke down and got the salad shooter - and lo, the shredder cone that cometh with it is not the "super shredder".

So for those who are using this to shred their mozzarella balls (aren't you glad I specified "mozzarella"?   :o )

Is the shredder cone that comes with it sufficient, or is the "super shredder" a must-have?

Thank you in advance for any advice ....

pizzapan