Author Topic: OK, How 2  (Read 2186 times)

Offline jack1747

• Supporting Member
OK, How 2
« on: November 29, 2004, 06:26:58 PM »
I got a pizza pan thats got holes in it.  Real novice here.  Promise I'm gona read everything here but for now I wanta make a pizza. The wifes got the kitchen aid thing.  Lots to read here.  So here goes.  Read enough to know that we gotta make the dough 24 hrs ahead. Know we like pizza with all the fix'ns.  I aint going out to buy mexican tiles, pizza stones or whatever. Not yet.

Give me a starter up resurpe.  And dont give me no Bobili stuff. ;) ;D Dont refer me to the main site neither, read it. Looks like we want to do the New York-Style Pizza but it say no pan???? 8)

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re:OK, How 2
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 07:42:26 PM »
Okay, here's the pizza for dummies recipe....a real no-brainer, but a place to start:

Dough:
3 cups flour
1 cup warm/hot water
1 tblsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tblsp oil
1 package of yeast

Sauce:
1 small can of tomatoe paste
2 small cans of tomatoe sauce
1 small can of water
1 tblsp of sugar
oregano/basil/garlic powder..to taste

I mix them up and simmer to release the flavor for about 15 minutes.

Prehaet oven to 475 degrees.

Add yeast and sugar to the warm water, mix and let stand until it foams...about 5-10 minutes. Add oil, flour and salt and mix well. Knead dough for about 10 minutes until it feels good to you. Place in oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap...let rise in draft free space for an hour or until doubled in size. Punch down and divide into two balls.

Take those pans with holes and spray them with PAM, sprinkle a little corn meal on top...set aside. Roll out the two dough balls to the size of the pans and set them on top.

Spread the sauce over the dough and add whatever toppings you like. Top this off with your choice of cheese.

Pop them in the oven...one at a time for about 15 minutes...turn about half way through.

ENJOY! If it doesn't work out, try again. This is a basic thin crust pizza.

Again, this is a basic recipe, but it will work. Once you get into it, the variations are limitless.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 10:53:14 AM »
Jack, if you don't want to invest in peels, stones, etc., just buy yourself a pizza SCREEN and you'll have excellent results. For a truly "authentic" tasting NY style pizza, you can't use a pan... you've got to cook the pizza directly on the deck of your oven (tiles, pizza stone, etc.) or use a screen.

Here's a link to some screens:

http://www.pizzatools.com/productdisplay.aspx?catid=57

The recipe posted by itsinthesauce is a good one. Only I suggest cranking your oven to its highest setting when using a screen.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 10:54:46 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 11:04:01 AM »
I agree with Steve, just watch it or it could burn easily.

Offline jack1747

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 04:53:52 PM »
Okay, here's the pizza for dummies recipe
Well ya nail this in... ;D 8)

Any major stores carry pizza screens?  Maybe I can try it this weekend...

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 05:18:17 PM »
jack1747,

I don't know where you live, but I think your best bet is to look for a restaurant supply store in your area.  You might do a Google search or Yellow pages search to locate such a store and then research the matter further online or by calling to see what inventory of pizza screens they have on hand.  It's possible, for example, that screens are available via the Internet but not in the stores themselves.  So it's a good idea to call before heading out.

Peter

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 05:22:15 AM »
Jack.

Glad to have you with us.

On the subject of your pizza pan with holes in it:
I believe that I have the same pan in my cupboard and have had for at least 10 years. I spent many years cooking frozen pizzas(forgive me great pizza gods) on that pan.

Anyway, in one of my New York Style experiments, I did pull out that pan and cook my pizza on it.
It in no way was the same as cooking on my stone or screen. However what it did produce was a pizza crust that was just a little crisper than I had been used to. I have not used it since, but there was nothing wrong with the pizza it was quite decent and tasty. ;D

So until you order/buy your screen, don't fear cooking with your pan.

Man can only go so long without a tasty slice...

JW Bingen
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 05:25:06 AM by Foccaciaman »
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

pizzapan